Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default OLED? O-Wow!

Long-time Pocket PC Thoughts friend John Cody was at CES recently and saw an OLED screen first hand. We've been hearing about various forms of prototypes, but this is the first time I've seen anything quite like this, and I'm stunned at how GOOD this thing looks, even in these low-res photos. Here's what John had to say:

"I was at the CES show and thought that you might find the attached pics very cool. Sharp electronics was showing off a 12" diag OLED display running a video (very fast response, very bright). As you can see from the side-profile pic, the display was only like 1/4" thick! I can just image the impact that this display technology will have on PDA's - brighter displays, thinner units (no backlight needed) and longer battery life (OLED displays use much less power then back lit TFT LCD's). They also had a cellular flip-phone running a demo that had two small (2" diag) OLED displays in it - one on each half of the cam-shell with a built in video CCD that was demoing a video-phone application - very cool."

The real shocker is this second picture - this makes LCD monitors look chunky!

If OLED can be deployed as fast as I hope it can, we'll see monitors and TV sets using this technology at a fraction of the price we're paying for LCD monitors because OLED is supposed to be much cheaper to produce. OLED seems to be the future, and I'm excited about what I've seen so far. What do you think of OLED? Is it the future, or just hype?

Old 01-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Won't be long now and soon I'll be saying..."Transflective screens suck!". Or whenever a new PDA comes out, I'll be like..."Yeah...but does it have an OLED display?" :wink:

Old 01-23-2003, 06:49 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator
Default Re: OLED? O-Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
If OLED can be deployed as fast as I hope it can, we'll see monitors and TV sets using this technology at a fraction of the price we're paying for LCD monitors because OLED is supposed to be much cheaper to produce.
I hope so, cause I am itching for something along the lines of a 55 inch flat panel tv that I can actually afford!

Old 01-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Won't be long now and soon I'll be saying..."Transflective screens suck!". Or whenever a new PDA comes out, I'll be like..."Yeah...but does it have an OLED display?" :wink:
Which is why I still maintain that "Foo-compliance" is a useful term. It doesn't get outdated with age. :lol:

--janak

Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM
TypeMRT
Pupil
Default I finally get it now!

So when manufacturers were making battery life claims they MUST of been using the special not-for-public-use OLED models :wink:

Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Which is why I still maintain that "Foo-compliance" is a useful term. It doesn't get outdated with age. :lol:

--janak
Excellent idea...perhaps we need a Foo-Compliance Standards forum. We could use his avatar to indicate Foo-Compliant devices when they are reviewed. :lol: :lol:

Old 01-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
Excellent idea...perhaps we need a Foo-Compliance Standards forum. We could use his avatar to indicate Foo-Compliant devices when they are reviewed. :lol: :lol:
Brilliant. Foo, you listening? There's money in this. Get all the manufacturers to pay you an undisclosed sum to deem their display technology to be Foo-compliant(TM).

--janak

Old 01-23-2003, 07:10 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

It makes all the sense in the world that this technology would make a bee-line for the PDA/Smartphone world. However...

Does it present a marketing problem? This is a situation where we have new technology that costs less and delivers a higher standard. Normally, you release something that incorporates new technology at a higher price. People buy it because they want the higher standard and are willing to fess up the extra money. This is the reverse. If you market better stuff that costs less how do get rid of all the old more expensive stuff that look worse than the new stuff? I'll bet the effort to preserve revenue stream delays the entry of OLED into mass production more than any technological delays.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:15 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
It makes all the sense in the world that this technology would make a bee-line for the PDA/Smartphone world. However...

Does it present a marketing problem? This is a situation where we have new technology that costs less and delivers a higher standard. Normally, you release something that incorporates new technology at a higher price. People buy it because they want the higher standard and are willing to fess up the extra money. This is the reverse. If you market better stuff that costs less how do get rid of all the old more expensive stuff that look worse than the new stuff? I'll bet the effort to preserve revenue stream delays the entry of OLED into mass production more than any technological delays.
This all supposes a fixed number of manufacturers are producing these units. It only takes one reasnably large company to undercut them and the prices will tumble. If OLED does what it says Plasma will be history for most applications.

I was just about to buy a $3000 plamsa set, but will probably hold off to see when a 42"+ HDTV panel comes out...

PJE

Old 01-23-2003, 07:22 PM
dazz
Theorist

Quote:

I don't think this will be the case for the OLED tech. There is just TOO MUCH demand for longer battery life, thinner display, easier/cheaper manufacturing, flexibility, etc.

Obviously, no prices are set yet and while the manufacturing costs *might* be less the cost to the end user might not be. Therefore (did I just type "therefore"?) the focus is on the power-savings and slim profile. Also, I think OLED has more possibilities for flexible displays.

If the products have enough other benefits and the manufacturing costs are low enough then there is a significant enough margin for a company that does not have a huge investment in the LCD marketplace.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing adoption of this tech as there seems to be significant benefits to us mobile types.