Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default SMBmeta Introduction

http://www.trellixtech.com/smbmetaintro.html

"Dan realized that periodically (perpetually?) people come up with the idea of building a mega-directory of businesses. That would be handy for anyone trying to locate a business, but it's too centralized to succeed on the wildly decentralized Web. Instead, Dan's proposing that businesses fill in a form with relevant data (name, address, goods/services offered, languages spoken, etc.) that then gets saved as XML data in a file at the top level of their site. Anyone who wants to aggregate that data to provide a directory service is free to do so; initially, Dan will set up an aggregation site but � and here's where he's so damn smart � he doesn't want to own this data. If you want to aggregate it, go ahead.

Maybe someone already spidering the Web will decide to collect SMBmeta data as well. SMBmeta is nothing more than a set of XML tags. That's its beauty. If enough businesses use them, then it will be a howling success. If not, then, well, nothing's lost, except a whole bunch of Dan's time."

The above description is from this Blog, but the link above goes to the real site. I think this is a really interesting idea, and worth passing along - there's some real merit to this concept, so if you own a small business Web site, take a look.

Old 01-18-2003, 10:24 PM
kfluet
Intellectual

My first thought is that the junk mailers, junk faxers, spammers and telemarketers would be the ones who would benefit most from a list like this.

Do online lists of businesses (Yahoo, etc.) bring customers? Or are customers much more likely to find a business web site through typing what they are looking for and their city into Google?

Old 01-18-2003, 11:57 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfluet
My first thought is that the junk mailers, junk faxers, spammers and telemarketers would be the ones who would benefit most from a list like this.

Do online lists of businesses (Yahoo, etc.) bring customers? Or are customers much more likely to find a business web site through typing what they are looking for and their city into Google?

hmm. you make me realise for the fact of the telemarketer is out there ....