Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pinnacle Studio 8 for $30

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage....Word=studio%208

Totally off-topic, but Matthew Miller emailed me a few days ago about this deal from J&R, and it's just too sweet to pass up. Pinnacle Studio 8 is what I use for 80% of my video editing projects - it's not Vegas Video or Premier, but it's very simple to use and works quite well (the latest version fixes some of the stability problems earlier versions had). No affiliate links here, just a really good deal if you want to buy some video editing software. The latest version includes an integrated VCD/DVD burning application, and their titling application is excellent (better than most I've used).

Old 01-15-2003, 01:22 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Movie Maker

I would be curious how this compares to other consumer video editing tools like Movie Maker 2 (Microsoft) and with the new transition effect add-ons from the new Plus package.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Movie Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
I would be curious how this compares to other consumer video editing tools like Movie Maker 2 (Microsoft) and with the new transition effect add-ons from the new Plus package.
I haven't seen the new transition effects package (since the Plus package isn't available to anyone outside the US yet...grr), but based on my experience with Movie Maker 2 so far, Pinnacle Studio 8 far, far better. I think it's great that Microsoft is giving people a freebie tool to experiment with, but...it's a little dysfunctional. :lol:

Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk
Default Re: Movie Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
...it's a little dysfunctional. :lol:
Just like most things MSFT makes......excluding PPC ofcourse :wink:

Old 01-15-2003, 02:05 AM
emmfan
Ponderer
Default Another comparison...

How does Pinnacle Studio compare with Roxio VideoWave (this is what I've used before). I was planning on upgrading to the latest version, but would contemplate switching to Pinnacle, especially with this great deal. 8O The next step after that is to move Faster Smarter Digital Video from my Amazon Wish List to the Shopping Cart.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:11 AM
ux4484
Thinker

that is a good deal......to bad I've already got it :cry: .

It's a nice editor, but I've found my self using Movie Star 5 to capture/trim my vids as it has better integration with my Dazzle DVD.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:34 AM
splintercell
Ponderer

Outpost has Pinnacle 8 for $19.99 after rebate:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3410843

Old 01-15-2003, 03:53 AM
ultimate_ed
Pupil

Well, I see what the catch is with this product:

"Capture and edit DVD quality MPEG video from your DV or Digital8 camcorder"

While Adobe Premiere is a good deal more expensive (the upgrade to v6.5 is $150) it edits DV footage in it's native format and that means that I can export my project back to tape on my MiniDV camcorder at maximum quality. (Of course, MiniDV is already a compressed format vs. full analog)

With this one, you are automatically getting kicked down to MPEG compression when you capture the footage. That seems like a lot of wasted effort for the processor, although it will save a lot of disk space for a working project.

Not necessarily trying to scare anyone away. It is certainly is a great deal for $20, just make sure you're aware of what it can, and can not do for you.

Old 01-15-2003, 04:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Another comparison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfan
How does Pinnacle Studio compare with Roxio VideoWave?
Well, not to slam the video software you're using, but Roxio lent me some of their video editing software, and I really wasn't too fond of it. 8O I'd take Studio 8 over VideoWave anyday.

Old 01-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed
Well, I see what the catch is with this product: "Capture and edit DVD quality MPEG video from your DV or Digital8 camcorder"
That's not quite true. :wink: I can assure you that Sudio 8 can work with full quality DV-AVI - I routinely export in DV-AVI format before encoding to MPEG2 for DVD or SVCD.