Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-14-2003, 04:15 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Socket Announces Availability of Bluetooth GPS Navigation Kit for Pocket PCs

http://www.socketcom.com/about/pres.../read.asp?ID=76

About two months ago, we mentioned that Socket was going to come out with a Bluetooth GPS solution. It's now officially available, bundled with a software kit for Pocket PC's to enable in-car navigation. Now, if they only bundled a stand in...

The product page is here (the above link is the press release).

Old 01-14-2003, 05:16 AM
st63z
Philosopher

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum...threadid=25695

Down the thread, yellow mentioned he likes Socket's MyNavigator software, so I'm really curious about it now. Hard to believe some brand new v1.0 is better than all the established mapping apps...

Secondly, I'd like head-to-head roundup of the hardware BT GPS receivers (Socket/Emtac vs. Navman vs. others)

Old 01-14-2003, 06:18 AM
frost
Neophyte

Well, I have an Ipaq 5450 and the Socket BT GPS and love it. After many frustrating weeks with the Travroute Copilot sleeve (both the original and the latest release) I decided to try the socket solution. Well I love it. The GPS will accuire a signal in less than 2 seconds usually. The old navman sleeve would sometimes take up to 3 minutes. Additionally, I can now keep the Socket GPS in my glove compartment and it still gets a lock.

I combined the GPS with maps from Mapapolis.com. While mapapolis has very accurate maps, its just not as professional as Travroute. BUT I like mapopolis better. ITs faster and non-propietery. It will use any gps including the bluetooth.

BTW I got a great deal on the GPS from here

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=Enter&thispage=01100200100106_B689284P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

About 100 bucks cheaper than list cost.

Frost

Old 01-14-2003, 06:44 AM
gpspassion
Intellectual

It's a very nice software package. As much as I like Mapopolis (I gave it the GpsPasSion Best City Navigator award), MyNavigator adds an essential feature for road navigation: true heading up, that makes a world of difference. The UI is also very tight and the display very "crisp". I'll try to have screenshots ASAP.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:31 AM
SeanMcLeod
Neophyte
Default Why so expensive?

Why is the product so expensive at $399?

Garmin's bottom of the range eTrex product is only $145 and that includes an LCD display, albeit a fairly low res version and also stores and displays waypoints etc.

The Socket product doesn't have a display, doesn't store and display waypoints etc., basically only has the core GPS receiver plus a Bluetooth transmitter, so I would expect it to be cheaper than the eTrex.

Remembering that Bluetooth was supposed to be a low cost add-on in the order of $5 per device so that shouldn't be accounting for the massive price difference.

http://www.garmin.com/products/compa...outdoorPIC.jpg

Old 01-14-2003, 10:09 AM
gpspassion
Intellectual

Actually it's $303 if you follow the link above.

I think the actual cost of BT is not a factor here, but convenience is. It's your call to see whether you're ready to pay (a lot) more for something that can make a huge difference in terms of convenience. Other than in a car setting it's going to be hard to use a GPS connected through a serial cable to the PocketPC.

Now the Fortuna GPSmart (see my website with more details) is a different beast because it's basically an eTrex with a Bluetooth connection. Price is not known yet but will be "very competitive"...

Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 PM
hollis_f
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpspassion
I think the actual cost of BT is not a factor here, but convenience is. It's your call to see whether you're ready to pay (a lot) more for something that can make a huge difference in terms of convenience. Other than in a car setting it's going to be hard to use a GPS connected through a serial cable to the PocketPC.
Yup. Some of us have a major aversion to cables and will pay over the odds to get rid of the horrible things. The Emtac/Socket BT GPS seems to have been pretty popular

Old 01-14-2003, 02:40 PM
SeanMcLeod
Neophyte

Logically I'd assume just based on parts costs the prices should be something along these lines:

- GPS receiver & BT transmitter (no LCD, memory etc.) - $120
- eTrex like receiver with LCD, memory etc. - $145
- eTrex like receiver with LCD, memory & BT transmitter - $160

But it appears they're charging quite a premium for the cost of removing an LCD, memory and adding in BT and removing a serial cable! 8O

But I guess if people are willing to pay that much for the convenience even if they're getting less then they'll take the extra profit until some other manufacturer starts undercutting them :P

Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Socket Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcLeod
Logically I'd assume just based on parts costs the prices should be something along these lines:

But it appears they're charging quite a premium for the cost of removing an LCD, memory and adding in BT and removing a serial cable! 8O

But I guess if people are willing to pay that much for the convenience even if they're getting less then they'll take the extra profit until some other manufacturer starts undercutting them :P
I agree that the price seems high, but the NavMan Bluetooth GPS device is $499 list. However, the new TravRoute GPS sleeve for the iPAQ, which includes their software, is $349. It would certainly be nice if this had an LCD to display at least basic GPS data so it could be used as a stand-alone device.

Personally, I think I'd prefer using my GPS sleeve with my iPAQ 3870 to using a Bluetooth GPS device. If I want to do GPS somewhere else, I only have to carry one device.

Steve

P.S. My usual rant. Please don't post long links "naked". The board software doesn't wrap them, and it resets the margins for the whole page, forcing horizontal scrolling. Use the URL tags, like this:

Code:
[url=http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=Enter&thispage=01100200100106_B689284P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!]
ShopBLT Socket Bluetooth GPS price
[/url]
The above looks like the following when posted:

ShopBLT Socket Bluetooth GPS price

See how much nicer that is? :-)

Old 01-14-2003, 04:10 PM
gpspassion
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcLeod

You're forgetting:
- built-in lithium battery
- smaller form factor
- sensitivity is about 5x (works in your pocket, glove-box, etc...)

Not sure if you've tried bluetooth and especially the BT GPS, but when I did it was almost a "revelation"...actually it led to the creation of my website ;-)