Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default New Pocket PC from Chinese Mega-Maker Legend

http://newbbs.hi-pda.com/cgi-bin/ut...ow.cgi?id=93989

Legend, a popular OEM in the Chinese market, is launching its own Pocket PC for the local market. Looks interesting - the d-pad is on the left, and the recording button is on the front. Nice for gaming!

There was a brief article on Geek.com that had this to say:

"Popular Chinese manufacturer Legend seems to be preparing another Pocket PC for release. This is still under the wire, but we got an e-mail from Mike Cane, a well-known PDA enthusiast, who received an e-mail from a Chinese-speaking reader about this site. Pass it through Babel Fish for a rough English translation and here are the specs: 400MHz CPU, 32 MB Flash, 64 MB RAM, 1500 mAh battery, carefully crafted metal casing, auto-adjusting illumination, rocker wheel, 8-way directional pad, three quick-buttons, CF Type I slot, and what appears to be an IrDA port. CF Type I is sort of disappointing, and I'm surprised not to see integrated wireless, but these may not be complete or final specs."

What interests me most, however, is the fifth photo in this forum thread. Look at the UI of that picture viewer - look familiar? Hmm...

Old 01-13-2003, 06:47 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: New Pocket PC from Chinese Mega-Maker Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
What interests me most, however, is the fifth photo in this forum thread. Look at the UI of that picture viewer - look familiar? Hmm...
Curious... With the 2003 OS supposedly around the corner, this could be the new image viewer along with file viewer (see next picture in thread) that takes the look and feel from XP?

Old 01-13-2003, 06:47 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

i agree with the nice for gaming comment :lol:

Old 01-13-2003, 06:58 PM
kendrick
Pupil
Default ...

I don't know about this thing being so good for gaming... That D-pad looks like it's five distinct and separate buttons, rather than a single piece that gives you directional gaming control. Might not be so good for shooting and platform games.

Either way, a western release may not be likely, so I'll happily wait until somebody else recognizes the wisdom in this design. Hopefully, with a nice fast MIPS chip.

-KKC

Old 01-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Hmm....I think we're seeing elements of the new PPC UI at work here. I like what I see so far.

Old 01-13-2003, 07:04 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentsiaw
i agree with the nice for gaming comment
Note that many of the screenshots were of the game console emulator. Pehaps the button layout was an intentional design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick
Hopefully, with a nice fast MIPS chip.
To guarantee that there is no chance of it working with the new OS or with most current games?

Old 01-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

The UI looks good - the translation of that page says that it's PocketPC 2002 SP4, which apparently includes the new picture viewer...

Hopefully Microsoft will release EUU4 for us soon...

Old 01-13-2003, 08:38 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

Can I get EUU3 first?

Signed
- All Audiovox and Toshiba users
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 01-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

I carry a Legend everyday and it is tough as rocks.

I would prefer manufacturers add .05 inches to a mini (like ViewSonic or h1910) and include a CF1 than include the smaller format, especially if it is not SD.

But, then again, I probably wouldn't want something with only one slot at all.

Can anyone see how big this Legend is? It looks like a cross between a miniature Casio 125 (Dpad) and a Toshiba e310 (metal case)'

The more the merrier.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:44 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default euu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaq
Can I get EUU3 first?

Signed
- All Audiovox and Toshiba users
Install the iPaq version.... it seems to be ok on my wife's Maestro