Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sharing Digital Content Is Your Right, Intel Says

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n011003X,00.asp

"Consumers have a right to share music, videos, and other digital content that they have purchased between their computing devices, and a commercial model needs to be developed that allows them to do so, Intel Chief Executive Officer Craig Barrett said at the Consumer Electronics Show Thursday. As a company that spends billions of dollars on research and development, and files for thousands of technology patents a year, Intel understands the value of intellectual property, he said. But consumers have an "expectation" that they'll be able to use legally acquired content however they want to."

Intel is drawing a line in the sand - it's nice to see the big guys kicking some sand in the face of the RIAA!

Old 01-12-2003, 06:50 AM
T-Will
Sage

I wonder if this will have any effect on Palladium?

Old 01-12-2003, 06:52 AM
szamot
Sage

Too bad we in Canada can't claim our $20 from RIAA for price fixing, perhaps we should get our own Class Action Suit going?! If we cold only get MS on board with Intel we would have something to ponder about.

Old 01-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

It's good to hear that some compaines are finally starting to 'get it'. With any luck, we could see some sort of solution to this mess in the near future.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
If we cold only get MS on board with Intel we would have something to ponder about.
That's not going to happen. You're not allowed to uninstall MS software from one computer and install it onto another.

Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 PM
deich
Pupil

I'll bet this won't win for most popular post, but ...

Everybody I know has music, video, or software they didn't pay for. (That would include me.) Perhaps RIAA's heavy - handed tacticts are in response to the incredible quantity of files people have been stealing. (Strong word, but true.) Or maybe we should just admit there have been excesses on both sides.

Copy protection started with specially encoded floppy disks and parallel port dongles. It has been around for a long time and is not going away.

It would be nice to have a universal protection scheme that would let us freely move files we legitimately own and simultaneously prevent theft, but it's just not going to happen. As long is copy protection depends on the device using the file, somebody will figure a way to defeat it. Then we're back to the same old treadmill.

Old 01-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Jerome Carney
Pupil
Default Re: Sharing Digital Content Is Your Right, Intel Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
"Consumers have a right to share music, videos, and other digital content that they have purchased between their computing devices... "
For some reason, this statement read a little awkward to me. Then I remembered that the preposition between is used to reference two (objects, people, etc.). So the presumption - hopefully - is that Intel's CEO simply mispoke, and meant to say among their computing devices.

But I can't help wondering... in all likelihood Barrett's presentation for an event as major as CES was worked and reworked endlessly, especially since it includes such a bold statement on the consumer's right to copy digital media. If the choice of between instead of among was intentional, is this a subtle suggestion that Intel is ready to compromise with media companies, pressing for legal copies, but only between two devices? Criminy, I hope not...

Old 01-12-2003, 06:14 PM
jmurphy
Neophyte

Sony is one of the companies straddling the fence...

Sony makes around 4 billion selling music, movies, etc.
Obviously, a source of revenue that should be protected.

However:

Sony makes around 40 billion selling consumer electronics.

Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

John

Old 01-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Illegal music sites 'here to stay'

It does look like the RIAA are changing their stance a bit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/2636235.stm

--Philip

Old 01-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtipmothee
I wonder if this will have any effect on Palladium?
Not as a technology -- it's just a collection of different methodologies that allow various kinds of "protection". But as how MS enforces/supports it, possibly. Your guess is as good as mine... and that's what makes a lot of people afraid.

--janak