Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 01-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default When Are You Switching?

As Microsoft readies its .NET Compact Framework for mobile device development and incorporates development tools and languages into the Visual Studio .NET it stands clear that developers are tasked with a quite significant switch. To me it is not a matter of "if" but "when" the switch has to be made. I switched a couple of months ago, but I still do some maintenance development in eMbedded Visual Basic.

I wonder when you plan to make the switch, or have you already? I am also interested in knowing what benefits, disadvantages or concerns you see or have in making the switch!

Old 01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
FredMurphy
Thinker

I looked at eVB and decided that it wasn't worth bothering with; you just couldn't do anything interesting with it (Today plug-ins, etc). Thought about learning C++ just for the Pocket PC but then C# was in beta so I decided that would be the way to go.

I've been using .NET for the last year and love it so I'm waiting for the Visual Studio 2003 before I start any Pocket PC development.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:45 PM
BigCanoe
Ponderer

How big is the footprint of the Compact Framework that needs to be installed on the PocketPC? I think it won't really hit mainstream until its part of a ROM update, and people don't have to think about installing it.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM
cscullion
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to cscullion
Default This will cost more, right?

I haven't really been following the details of .NET CF (I use eVC++ exclusively). It sounds like there will no longer be a separate, supported development environment for embedded devices (eVB, eVC). Is that true? If so, then handheld developers will need to buy Visual Studio? If that is the case, I'll put off .NET as long as possible. If that's not the case, please enlighten me.

I develop primarily for Palm OS, and then port to PocketPC (which turns out to be very easy... I re-use about 80% of my C++ code). Yes, I need Visual Studio for Palm Conduit development, but VS 6.0 is still supported and working fine for that. I've been avoiding .NET in desktop development because I have yet to see any advantage (in my work, that is). Moving to VS.NET on the desktop will be very disruptive to me, unless VS 6.0 can co-exist on the same development box.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

Personally I use .NET for all, mostly Visual Basic. I'm hoping to pick up C# in my spring classes, or at least enough of a foothold to learn it from where it leaves off. (which is more often the case)

Old 01-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe
How big is the footprint of the Compact Framework that needs to be installed on the PocketPC? I think it won't really hit mainstream until its part of a ROM update, and people don't have to think about installing it.
It's about 1.5mb. It is bound to start appearing in ROMs once it is formally released.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Busdriver
Intellectual

Sure wish there was a to develop directly on the device using MS's tools.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Re: This will cost more, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscullion
It sounds like there will no longer be a separate, supported development environment for embedded devices (eVB, eVC). Is that true? If so, then handheld developers will need to buy Visual Studio? If that is the case, I'll put off .NET as long as possible. If that's not the case, please enlighten me.
Moving in that direction yes, you can use both VB.NET and C# with Visual Studio 2003, hopefully eventually the full range of dev languages will be supported for smart device development - they all compile down to the same Intermediate Language after all. However we are not quite at a point yet where we can abandon good old eVC++...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscullion
I develop primarily for Palm OS, and then port to PocketPC (which turns out to be very easy... I re-use about 80% of my C++ code). Yes, I need Visual Studio for Palm Conduit development, but VS 6.0 is still supported and working fine for that. I've been avoiding .NET in desktop development because I have yet to see any advantage (in my work, that is). Moving to VS.NET on the desktop will be very disruptive to me, unless VS 6.0 can co-exist on the same development box.
VS.NET and VS 6 will happily sit side by side (as long as you have the disk space

You can keep your backend code in C++ and call it from a .NET application using Platform Invoke. Afterall the code you probably re-write between palm and pocket pc is probably to do the ui and such like and hence your program logic is probably unchanged c++ code more or less - not sure how easy it would be to port the whole lot to C#.

Perhaps we'll see a Palm runtime for the Compact Framework soon :wink:

Old 01-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual
Default .NET

Mostly I'm waiting for a new workstation to begin using .NET at work. I have already begun developing at home and love it. My first program was a center of gravity calculator for the UH-60 (Black Hawk) helicopter. Sweet

Old 01-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Re: .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mattern
My first program was a center of gravity calculator for the UH-60 (Black Hawk) helicopter. Sweet
Hang on, those helicopters have been flying for years, how did they manage when they didn't know where the centre of gravity was???? 8O :lol: