Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-07-2003, 05:31 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Update Site No More?

This will probably break as new tomorrow, but in reading my Lockergnome newsletter tonight, it seems that Microsoft is retiring the Web version of Windows Update. The reason? Apparently the auto-download of updates negates the need for the Web-based version. Personally, I don't agree - there have been several times I've manually gone to the update site on a relatives computer, only to find several device driver updates that were never pushed down. Only critical updates are pushed down to the clients, so there are often updates that can only be retrieved manually. The last computer I was at didn't even have the Windows XP SP1 pushed down! I imagine we'll know more tomorrow, and Lockergnome might have got fed the wrong info.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Woah, indeed. I'd hate to see that service go. It's just plain handy. Auto update, although nice, isn't perfect.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

I'm pretty certain that this is wrong. Simple reason: the Windows Update site has "recommended updates" and "driver updates" that will never get installed via the Critical Update Notification tool. Neither does major service packs, like XP SP1.

Moreover, MS recently updated the Win98 site to have the "new XP look". The only site that looks like the old (v3) version is the NT4 update site, and that'll presumably get retired along with product support for NT4 on June 30, 2003.

--janak

Old 01-07-2003, 06:13 AM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

micosoft, what do you want? wy make everybody wonder everytime?

Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 AM
seanturner
Thinker

I doubt MS would cancel it because I've heard so much about hte windows update version 6 website debuting...

Old 01-07-2003, 06:34 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

v6? What happened to v5? (If you go to Windows Update now, you'll notice the URL is v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com.)

--janak

Old 01-07-2003, 06:35 AM
seanturner
Thinker

Err.... V5, sorry, the finger is faster than the brain. Yeah, i've heard some stuff about possibly tieing it into the product key database as another antipiracy step in addition to activation.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:41 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

I give it 2 days. There are an *** load of people that don't want MS installing software on their systems automatically. I'm one of them. They would get so much feedback it would be pathetic. They would fold like origami. I'm actually happy about this. Anything that gives MS another black eye is good.

The balls on this company still astound me. :evil: The reason for this is so they can phase it it so anyone running illegal copies would have to .NET their downloads and they can track it.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:57 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentsiaw
micosoft, what do you want? wy make everybody wonder everytime?
Folks, for one it's not confirmed... who says MS is leading anyone one way or another? It could be lockergnomes sources that are wrong about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
I give it 2 days. There are an *** load of people that don't want MS installing software on their systems automatically. I'm one of them. They would get so much feedback it would be pathetic. They would fold like origami. I'm actually happy about this. Anything that gives MS another black eye is good.
And how on earth does the web update site going down affect your dislike of auto critical updates? They probably wouldn't fold. You'd probably just have a buggy windows from now on or have to download manually.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Bah! I'm not buyin this rumor. I'll believe it when I see....or rather don't see it. MS would never kill manual updates. To many business customers would be left out in the cold.