Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default My Preciousssss....Canon GL2 MiniDV Digital Camcorder

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...HQ/jasondunn-20

The holiday season was so hectic for me that I never got in on any of those fun threads about what people got for Christmas (I may just jump back into them), but I did want to share something I picked up for myself at Christmas time: a Canon GL2.

What a camera! It was one of the units I tested for the Faster Smarter Digital Video book. Canon Canada was kind enough to pull a new one off the shelf for me to test, and although I found some great cameras among the nine I tested, after using the GL2 I simply couldn't buy anything less. The GL2 was heads above the rest in quality (and price!) so I knew it was the camera for me. The three-CCD image quality is phenomenal, but there's some fancy Canon engineering in there as well - the 3CCD Panasonic camera I tested had feeble colour quality compared to the Canon GL2. You'll hear a lot more about this amazing camera when we launch Digital Media Thoughts.

If you've got the coin to spend, and want an amazing DV camera, the Canon GL2 is a great choice! (affiliate link) And if the Amazon price isn't to your liking, search for the lowest price. If you're looking for something less expensive, I was really impressed by the Canon ZR50 - great colour quality and nice ergonomics.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
serpico
Intellectual

Sweet camera. Can't wait to hear more about this and the new site. Canon sure knows how to make cameras.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 PM
sgyee
Ponderer

Okay...not to get nitpicky here, but what's wrong with the XL1 ?

I do realize that Canon came out with the XL1S, but people are advertising a standard XL1 with lens for about $400 more than the GL2.....

So...does the GL2 offer more than the XL1 ?

Old 01-06-2003, 08:44 PM
rtrueman
Ponderer

Nice camera, Jason! I recently picked up Sony's TRV-950 which is also a 3 CCD camera. I believe the two are very similar. Oh, except that I have to use MEMORY STICKS instead of SD! What a nightmare, but with all of the points I received on my Sony Credit Card, I basically got it for a couple of hundred.

Anyway, as this is my first camera, I'm anxiously awaiting some free time to read your new book. Any idea as to when Digital Media Thoughts will be up? Surely, there can't be that much on your plate!

Rob

Old 01-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

So, new site hey? This is to go with your book then Jason? I can't believe you don't mention that in the post!

Daniel

Old 01-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Digital Media Thoughts, eh? Sign me up!

As an owner of a Sony digital camcorder and a Nikon digital camera (not to mention the HP digital camera Jornada attachment and various cheapo webcams) I'm very interested in this stuff.

Currently I do my video editing on my Mac G4 with iMovie, but I'm looking forward to having a PC sometime soon with Firewire and MovieMaker 2.0 and doing everything there.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:50 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I got a shirt for Christmas

Old 01-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Gary Garland, Esq.
Ponderer
Default Re: My Presssscious....Canon GL2 MiniDV Digital Camcorder

My 2 cents worth - on our honeymoon, we took along my then spanking new sony TRV-820 which was their top, consumer grade feature laden vid camera (single ccd, built in printer) - anyway this thing weighed a ton and literally hurt my neck - we were on a tour of greece and italy, and lugging it around all day was a chore. there was a guy on the tour who had a 3 ccd sony - mini dv - his kids were impressed with my camera, not realizing their dad's was probably another $500 over the price of my expensive toy - anyway, the 3 ccd sony really shone (kinda pun) when there was a glass blowing/making exhibit - the glass was glowing orange, as i recall, and the 3 ccd was able to get the colors and resolution beautifully - mine got the job done, but at a great loss of color - oh well. can't beat 3 ccds...but you can beat your wife! :twisted:

Old 01-06-2003, 08:58 PM
dochall
Intellectual

So how much did you pay for the camera, Jason?

Old 01-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgyee
Okay...not to get nitpicky here, but what's wrong with the XL1?
Nothing - it's just more expensive than the GL2. :-) The GL2 retails for $3999 CND, while the XL1S retails for $6599. BIG price difference! I'm not a pro making a living with the camera, so even the GL2 was a tough decision - I may start filming weddings on the weekend to earn some extra $$$ to pay off the camera. ;-)

The XL1S is also bigger than the GL2 - so it depends on what your needs are. The GL2 is perfect for my needs.