Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default 4GB Microdrive by the Fall of 2003

http://www.hgst.com/about/news/20030106-5.html

"Hitachi Global Storage Technologies today announced plans to squeeze four gigabytes of data onto the 1-inch Microdrive, the world's smallest hard disk drive. With considerable advances in miniaturization technology, Hitachi engineers have overcome numerous magnetic recording challenges associated with developing hard disk drives of this size. The 4GB Microdrive is expected to be available in the Fall of 2003."

I was beginning to think the development of the microdrive had been abandoned. Nothing much has happened since the 1GB drive was released in 2000. It uses so-called Pixie Dust, which IBM developed last year. Hitachi and IBM have pooled their hard drive technologies into a joint venture under the Hitachi name.

Old 01-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

4 GB MicroDrive!!! I think I just wet myself. ops:

I wonder how this will impact battery life....

Old 01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default What About PC Card Drives?

Let's hope we also see larger PC Card drives. The Toshiba 5 GB has been out for a long time.

Yes, maybe not many people have PC Card capabilities on their Pocket PCs, but almost all laptops have them, and my 20 GB drive is getting full. Putting all of my MP3 and MPEG files on a drive I could share with my iPAQ 3870 would be great. :-)

Steve

Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Iain
Pupil

I'm going to sound like a very ignorant muppet here...

So much so I've figured it out, sorry people.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Fzara
Thinker

I've heard numerous bad remarks with the 1gb Microdrive, for ex., too much battery consumption, skipping, less stable, etc etc. This is one of the reasons I am looking for a 512mb CF Card atm.

Ed, do you think this will plague the 4gb Microdrive as well?

Old 01-06-2003, 05:01 PM
handheldplanet
Ponderer

Okay, I was going to switch completely over to SD, but since there's no SDIO and now a humongous microdrive I guess I have no choice but to stay with my current mixture of CF and SD. Now I just have to decide which device I'm going to stick to (since this basically rules out the sleek 1910 and the convenient T-Mobile PPCPE).

Old 01-06-2003, 05:07 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

well, cpacity problem now might be 4 GB but how about the power consumption, getting lesser or consume even more ?

Old 01-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Delta737
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Delta737
Default Don't care

Well, I hope it will be a good card, which doesn't drain so much power as the 1GB. But I think it's great that we will get more memory. I'm curious about the price though... :?

Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default 1 GB

I have the one gig drive and jog with it. I don;t have any skkipping problems. Moreover, since abandoning my 3630 for a 3955 I have no issues with battery life. Personally, I find the price tag of $225 for 1 Gb too good to pass up. 4 gb is nice but I too am curious as to what the price will be.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:16 PM
ryanmjones
Pupil
Default Speed?

Are the moicrodrives as fast as CF cards? I think I heard somewhere that they are slower. Would this pose any problems to movie viewing? I asssume the 4GB would be even slower than the 1GB ? ? ?