Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 01-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default First Year of Smartphones

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2003/1/2003-1-2-Smartphones-Come-of.html

James Miller at PDAStreet.com has written a nice article about existing PDA/phone hybrids. The article sums up features, price ranges and general comments.

"While advances in general PDA design were either slow in coming, Palm OS 5 and integrated wireless, or didn't pay immediate dividends in terms of performance, Pocket PCs with Intel's XScale processor, the smartphone or PDA/phone hybrid came into its own in this past year. ... Microsoft left no stone unturned by attacking the smartphone from the PDA first/phone second side with its Pocket PC Phone Edition operating system and mobile phone first/PDA second side with its new Windows Powered Smartphone OS."

The image below illustrates some of the prodcuts mentioned in the article and I have placed them in order of looks (left to right, top to bottom). Agree?

Old 01-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

I would pretty much agree although I think that the i330 should be further down the list! The SPV or is that the other HTC SP, might go first too.

That Blackberry sure is ugly!

Daniel

Old 01-03-2003, 09:29 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Direct Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
That Blackberry sure is ugly!
Agreed... but it supports the iDEN direct connect. I use Nextel now and I love that feature. It, and free incoming calls are some of the major reasons I have not yet purchased a PPC PE yet. The other being I have yet to see any PE version have 65k color and dual slots for my memory and WiFi needs.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual

I dunno about anyone else but I love my t68i. I would prefer not to use a PPC PE. But if there is ever a GSM version of the new 5450 then count me in as a new PPC PE owner.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:14 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default 56xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba Zabba
I dunno about anyone else but I love my t68i. I would prefer not to use a PPC PE. But if there is ever a GSM version of the new 5450 then count me in as a new PPC PE owner.
There will be (56xx series) but sans the WiFi - which really is dissapointing

Old 01-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual
Default Re: 56xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Quote:

Seriously, I wish they would integrate WiFi as well, but i guess that's asking much. I think too many wireless interfaces :idea:

Dah Well :roll:

Old 01-03-2003, 02:55 PM
GregWard
Ponderer

As a 9210 owner (amongst others!) I'd put it lower down the "attractiveness" scale when closed (it's really ugly!!!!) BUT higher when opened and turned through 90 degrees (ie PDA mode). Like this it is a really good "form factor" - especially for things like reading word docs/spreadsheet files and typing quick notes in meetings etc.

I wish a PPC manufacturer would copy the design (or Nokia try out the MS OS). Even better - there was a prototype device I saw once that looked like a 9210 but with a pull out keyboard (ie as well as the two halves of the clamshell - so you got 1. screen, 2. mousepad/functions keys and 3. keyboard) and built-in video conferencing!!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 03:23 PM
kdross
Pupil

Well, as both an avid Pocket PC fan and a Sidekick enthusiast, I feel the sidekick should be much igher on the list.

Flame me if you must, but the Sidekick is a great product. It's small, it's incredibly easy to use, and it does what it sets out to do (keep me connected 24/7) very well.

Old 01-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdross
Well, as both an avid Pocket PC fan and a Sidekick enthusiast, I feel the sidekick should be much igher on the list.
Indeed, you have to see it in person to appreciate it. It's a very, very well-engineered device. If only it had Outlook sync released by now

--janak

Old 01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel
Default Re: 56xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Quote:
Yeah, totally ripped off. Although, if some of the battery life stories of the 54xx are to believed we'd probably get about 15 minutes of use with Wi-Fi + GSM + BT running. Let's hope that HP fixes the battery issues and makes it a little less hungry. I guess you could always buy 2 extended batteries.

Daniel