Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-31-2002, 06:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default BluetoothNews Online Launches

http://www.bluetoothnews.com/

Bluetooth fan? Then you're going to want to check out BluetoothNews Online, especially because David Shier of Pocket PC Magazine fame is at the helm. David likes Bluetooth so much he launched a site about it - now that's commitment!

"While I assume you are familiar with Bluetooth, I believe that you will be surprised at some of the things that you can do with this cool technology...Also, while we try to offer balanced reporting, don't expect to read scathing reviews that slam ideas, products or companies. We will honestly report our opinions, but the fact is, we are Bluetooth advocates and we want to see as many companies in this industry succeed as possible. That doesn't meant that you'll only read �fluff� pieces here, but it does mean that if we can't find anything good to say about a product or service, you probably won't see us review it until it improves to meet our standards. What you will find here are news, reviews and editorials that will keep you up to date, not only on what's happening in the world of Bluetooth today, but what the future has in store."

And if you don't know who Hedy Lamarr is, make sure you give this a read.

Old 12-31-2002, 06:41 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Appears to be an excellent new arena for Bluetooth junkies like myself 8)

It's in addition to PPC Thoughts, not a replacement.....nothing could ever replace PPC Thoughts :wink:

-Brian

Old 12-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Hedy Lamarr invented frequency hopping?

Wow. :werenotworthy:

--janak

Old 12-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

"Thats Hedley Lamarr...."

Old 12-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Stik
Theorist

Wow! Hedy Lamarr, what a babe! :way to go:

It brings longing pains to my heart. For Hedy? No, that would be lusting in my heart, not longing. :lol: No, the longing pangs are for another frequency hopping technology that ran out of money one year before it was to be fired up in my area. IMO, STILL the best wireless solution ever introduced in the US. Forget about WLAN! Forget about bluetooth! Bah!!!
I can only be speaking of one wireless network that left all others in the dust...Ricochet!

Old 12-31-2002, 08:41 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default EdH

Where is EdH when it comes to the words of wisdom that help dismiss the hype on the greatness of Bluetooth?

Old 12-31-2002, 09:20 PM
spg
Sage
Default Re: EdH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Where is EdH when it comes to the words of wisdom that help dismiss the hype on the greatness of Bluetooth?
I'm sure he will be here... Don't give up hope!

Back on topic - Nice site David has put together. Looks like a great resource for those new to bluetooth, as well as those who are experts. (If there is such a thing) Nice article about Hedy Lamarr too, I didn't know any of that.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:35 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: EdH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Ed's given up on that argument since he uses his 3975 with his T68 all the time. :twisted:

--janak

Old 12-31-2002, 11:54 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

I don't think Ed has given up, he's probably just chosing to selectively forget that it works for him. Plus, he probably enjoys bagging BT so why stop?

Daniel

Old 01-01-2003, 03:42 AM
daS
Thinker

Wow Jason � thanks for the nice surprise announcement of our new site! :-D

I thought this was a good time for me to join your site so I could reply to some of the great comments here.

Brian and Spg: Thanks for the kind words! We should have a lot of new content soon, including some technical details.

Janak: Yes, wasn�t the Hedy Lamarr story fascinating? I really enjoyed researching and writing it.

M O�M: Did you know that Lamarr actually sued Mel Brooks over that running joke in Blazing Saddles? (While she was smart, she apparently didn�t have much of a sense of humor. ;-))

Stik: I too liked the Ricochet system and even had one of their first (slow) modems back in the HP 200LX days. Unfortunately, while it was cool technology, it was far too expensive to implement over a wide area because they needed repeaters every quarter mile! Anther problem that Ricochet would have had if they became successful is that their method of bouncing packets from unit to unit would have become saturated if they got a lot of users.The new company is not planning to sell it as a W-WAN replacement, but rather as �fixed wireless� in the limited areas that they will service.

JonnoB: I don�t know EdH, but I look forward to hearing from him. I think that Bluetooth was certainly over hyped a couple of years ago, but it certainly will grow in popularity where it excels. Of course I will try to articulate that opinion in coming editorials on www.BluetoothNews.com

For everyone: If anyone has an idea for an article or product review you�d like to write for our site, please contact me.

Thanks again!

daS