Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket PC OEM's

Earlier this week, I reported that NEC was contracting FIC to build an XScale Pocket PC for the US. Well, they already have one in Europe - Elisabeth Liddell of FoxPop has a sneak peek of the 200e, which is a low-end, 200MHz XScale device for the European market.

Is this going to be the same unit in the United States? It's hard to say so far, as the 200e is actually an evolution of the MobilePro 300e - another European NEC brand. This unit is not the same as the MobilePro P300 that's received a lukewarm response in the US. Instead, it's a small, relatively low-cost unit (almost as cheap as the Dell Axim), with just one SD slot and a "Rocketeer" expansion module for CF/PC card capability. FoxPop also has a review of the 300e.

OK, are you confused yet? Good, because the situation gets even more complex. The 300e looks a lot like the Packard Bell PocketGear 2060, and the 200e like the PocketGear 2030. That makes sense, since NEC bought out the Packard Bell brand years ago. However, Christian Torring reports in a post on our very forums that the PocketGear seems to be identical to two other OEM brands in Europe: the Mitac and Medion units, and he's got the pictures to demonstrate it.

Oh, and by the way, FIC, who's manufacturing the mysterious US XScale units, has a Pocket PC model of their own, with Bluetooth and integrated WLAN models. I tried to find out who manufactures the 200e and 300e, but I haven't had any luck.

What does this all mean? I don't know, my head hurts too much now I have a few observations, however:
  • A broader array of "manufacturers" are seeing the Pocket PC platform as a profitable entity;
  • The OEM market for Pocket PC's is exploding. We're almost starting to see the "clone" market that used to dominate the PC industry in the '80s;
  • Microsoft might see something in all this, as Peter Foot reports they've bought the Intrinsyc reference platform we reported on here a week ago. Incidentally, cbunseng reports that you can have a copy of this reference platform for a cool $2,995.

Old 12-30-2002, 03:52 PM
heov
Thinker

did you know the 200e also only has 36MB of usable ram (just like the ViewSonic)... i'm getting suspicious

Old 12-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
did you know the 200e also only has 36MB of usable ram (just like the ViewSonic)... i'm getting suspicious
It's a conspiracy! A conspiracy, I tell you!

Seriously, you're right, it does look like the Viewsonic is made by a similar OEM - the LED's are in the same position - just the screen and the processor are different.

--janak

Old 12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I'm not so sure this broad array of PPC licensees is a good thing. The PDA market is still too small to support so many players. That plus the shear installed base of the PalmOS platform makes it extremely difficult for new...or established PPC OEMs to carve out significant marketshare. The new primary weapon being utilized in this war is price. Low prices may finally open the door for mass adoption of PPC devices. By offering low-priced hardware, licensees are hoping to make up the loss in margins by increased volumes. But look at the current landscape. HP is largest among all PPC licensees with roughly 12% US marketshare. Toshiba has around 6%. Now you add Dell to the mix, and HP & Toshiba will most certainly lose some of their already small share of the pie chart. And therein lies the problem. Dell could do more damage to other PPC licensees than PalmOS. I'm afraid Dell may eventually force some PPC players out of the market. Will that help Pocket PC's marketshare, or hurt it?

It's the classic argument in quality vs. quantity. PPC doesn't need dozens of licensees with weak share, it needs only a handful with strong market presence. We could see a repeat of Apple's problems when they began opening the Macintosh platform up to new hardware vendors. Instead of growing MacOS marketshare, licensees such as Motorola and UMAX simply stole share away from Apple. Prices came down, hardware became more competitive, but the Macintosh platform didn't get any bigger.

In my opinion, what PPC needs right now is better marketing. Microsoft has done a miserable job of promoting the platform...especially to consumers. We now have an incredibly low-priced PPC, but Dell isn't even advertising it. Where are the TV spots featuring the Axim? How are consumers even going to know this device exists? Word of mouth? That's not going to grow share. And how about Microsoft release a badly needed upgrade for PPC that fixes all the quirks, gives the UI a makeover, and keeps excitement alive and momentum going. PPC2002 is looking rather stale.

PPC faces an uphill battle in 2003. Let's hope everyone involved finally gets their strategies worked out, and coordinated.

Old 12-30-2002, 06:20 PM
ux4484
Thinker

hmmm.......as I understood it Packard Bell bought NEC (just before leaving the US PC market), and though they retained NEC name and much management for much of NEC mfg, the computer hardware stuff is managed by mostly Packard Bell yo-yo's. For work I recently recieved a overseas shipment including a PB workstation (of typical PB quality) which I promply sent back after it's CPU fan failed and overheated a week after installation.
I could only hope that no PB mfg or exec's are involved the PPC project, or they will be doomed to fail.

Foo,

I did catch a dubbed-in line for Dell's PDA in a recent Dell "Intern" spot......right at the end, a obvious tack on which doesn not mention it's OS. I think the interns are almost as annoying as Steven.

Old 12-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
We could see a repeat of Apple's problems when they began opening the Macintosh platform up to new hardware vendors. Instead of growing MacOS marketshare, licensees such as Motorola and UMAX simply stole share away from Apple.
This doesn't quite apply in my opinion. Apple/Palm are (was in Palm's case?) hardware+software companies; Microsoft is not, so it's not like they're stealing shares of Microsoft hardware away. It's not clear whether "dilution" will kill the big players -- if anything, overpricing will kill HP's product before anything else, as they already have the brand name, the product line, store presence, etc. The little players are far more at risk as they build undifferentiated products. If you looked at the clone market of the '80's, they didn't kill IBM's marketshare - their proprietary, overpriced PS/2 architecture did.

I do agree largely on the marketing bit. Ed's article on Saturday illustrates how the perceptions of a Pocket PC being too "complex" and "expensive" are still pervasive in the market.

--janak

Old 12-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux4484
I could only hope that no PB mfg or exec's are involved the PPC project, or they will be doomed to fail.
It was quite the "in" joke when NEC bought out the Packard Bell brand some 6-odd years ago. One mediocre brand name (excepting displays) buying out the mediocre brand name?

In any case, Packard Bell didn't hurt the adoption of PC's hugely. If their PPC's are lame, I don't think it'll hurt PPC's in general. Witness the P300: while it got poor reviews, I don't think it particularly impacted the iPaq's sales. NEC has been pushed to a minor niche player in the PC (and PPC) market, at least in North America.

--janak

Old 12-30-2002, 07:12 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux4484
hmmm.......as I understood it Packard Bell bought NEC (just before leaving the US PC market), and though they retained NEC name and much management for much of NEC mfg, the computer hardware stuff is managed by mostly Packard Bell yo-yo's.
NEC (the big Japanese company) bought Packard Bell (the languishing US based company) years ago and pretty much did most consumer a favor by helping Packard Bell to the grave in the US. NEC is still strong in Japan and abroad in other technologies. I am not sure that Packard Bell got the bad name in Europe as it did in the US... perhaps that is why we still see it there.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:37 PM
ux4484
Thinker

To be more specific; Packard Bell purchased the NEC PC unit in late '97 to then be swallowed by NEC in late '98 (Business week Aug '98 issue) as a whole. While many of the NEC/PB US employees were laid off in '99 (cnet Nov '99) much of the upper management level staff was retained and is gainfully employed in the European unit today.
I've had a handfull of PB European machines over the last few years, none were worth writing home about (see previous post). NEC should AT LEAST seriously consider NOT using the PB name on PDA's licenced here in the US.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
The Big Jay
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
You're probably right and this thing probably has NAND Flash ROM.

That being said, why don't PPC manufacturers include 128MB of RAM on their devices?