Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-18-2002, 06:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default End User Updates poll

There are some reports by people who have applied an End User Update (EUU) where they ended up with a corrupted ROM. We'd like to know a little more about this, so please fill in this poll.

UPDATE: There were some questions, so I'll give some further info. We want to know if the EUU procedure works better after soft or hard resetting your device before applying the update. And yes, a corrupt ROM means that your device won't work. If weird things happen that you are sure of you can pinpoint to the EUU, that's corrupt too, but please give an exact description in the thread what happened. We're only interested in what happened to your device when you used the EUU that was meant for your device. When you apply EUU updates from one OEM on a device from another OEM, you're on your own. There are too many other factors at play then that could influence your setup and cause the corruption.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:17 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Maybe you should define "corrupted" a little more clearly. Are you meaning "corrupted to the point the device doesn't work" or "weird things seem to happen." The latter may be a little hard to pin down on the EUU, of course.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:22 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default another survey

Another survey question to ask is whether people used the manufacturer update or just used what was available. Twice now I have used the updates from other manufacturers and both times without problems.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Waitaminute. I didn't see an option for what I did.

I applied an EUU1 update over an EUU2 device from a different manufacturer while using a third party battery pack to keep power to the device, swapped CF cards during the update all the while rolling the dpad around to convey positive energy and good vibes.

Can you ad that option to the poll?

Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
snayar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to snayar

Same thing here as JonnoB, I have updated my HP 568 with the iPAQ's EUU3 and everything went just fine after a 14 minute wait.

Happy Holidays,
Sergio

Old 12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayar
Same thing here as JonnoB, I have updated my HP 568 with the iPAQ's EUU3 and everything went just fine after a 14 minute wait.
yep, in my scenario - I also have a 568. HP has already begun exhibiting how well it cares about its customer with timely updates.... :x

Old 12-18-2002, 06:40 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Waitaminute. I didn't see an option for what I did.

I applied an EUU1 update over an EUU2 device from a different manufacturer while using a third party battery pack to keep power to the device, swapped CF cards during the update all the while rolling the dpad around to convey positive energy and good vibes.

Can you ad that option to the poll?
Yeah!
I did that too!!!
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 12-18-2002, 06:41 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

By the way.
Where the he#$ is the Maestro update?
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 12-18-2002, 06:44 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Since the (now old) ROM update for the iPaq 3800 series (ROM 1.20) required a hard reset, I put it way off.......until last week :wink:

Anyway, it worked out good for me, because I hard reset, preformed the ROM update (which hard reset my device for me again....now I know), soft reset, and then immediately put on EUU3 on a clean system (no other software or previous EUU's installed). I knew there would be a benefit from waiting to do the ROM update, and there was (for me at least).

Anyway, I'm not asking for what I specifically did to be added to the poll (Ed :wink: ), but I think it fit best into "No, but I did hard reset my device before applying the EUU," so that's how I voted.

-Brian

Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default iPaq version

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaq
By the way.
Where the he#$ is the Maestro update?
I successfully used the iPaq EUU3 update on my wife's Maestro. Others have reported success as well.... but the risk is yours to take!