Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 12-12-2002, 09:36 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Let's Talk Developer Topics

About 40% of Pocket PC Thoughts visitors are developers according to the "Random User Survey #3". From my developer horizon, that is very encouraging and I would really like that number to stay high. What makes me a bit confused, though, is the relatively low number of posts in the DEVELOPER forum and the low number of replies to front page developer news. Take a look at the numbers! The average of replies is about one (1) and half of the posts are not replied to at all.

Being the resident developer on the Pocket PC Thoughts team, my question to you is: what developer topics would you like to see more of? More hard core coding discussions? Source code? Platform discussions? Game development? Let's talk!

Old 12-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

E) All of the above, please.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:54 AM
albsilva
Pupil

Hi Andy,
In spite of being an eVB developper, I find for several years that ppcthoughts it's the best site to be 'tuned' for what's going on on this business... about developper issues, I visit devbuzz, so sometimes before reading about some question here, I have already read it on devbuzz, but I find interesting the idea to have a section to let us know what's up on other dev sites, some known, others not known at all.
About dev discussion forums... well to be honest, I watch regurarly MS newsgroups, from time to time devbuzz forums and web search when needed... interesting would be to have a 'pocketcps dev search', that would be the google of WinCE developpers!

Best regards, and sorry to not encorage you very much... :roll:
Alberto Silva
Portugal

Old 12-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Venturello
Intellectual

Ditto. E) all of the above. Would love to see more hard core coding discussions, but then the dev forums here are slow (almost useless). Seems us developers come here for news, and go for forums elsewhere (devbuzz, pocketpcdn, ms news). So it would be nice to keep the site's spirit of general industry news and opinions, but with more dev content thrown in.

That is, without flooding the general interest topics which are makes this site so good.

I would like to see more interesting dev stuff but the site is great as it is. Would I like to see another site geared toward dev's? No, the team is great as it is.

Personally, I would LOVE to see source code and open source code projects, since it would benefit me a lot at this stage - there is very little open source code for ppc's out there (I am into eVC - eVB is a slow toy).

Just my 2c's, thanks guys for the best in ppc news out there.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:38 PM
GregWard
Ponderer

To be honest I don't think of going to the Dev Forum! So I would only really see items posted on the main page.

For me Development is only one of the things I do. More often than not when I am developing it's using Delphi for the PC World. If I am developing a mobile solution - it's normally Palm based (NS Basic). The very things I dislike about Palm (personally) look VERY different when - as I would be - you're looking to develop an app to collect research data. When you need several thousand devices, �60 for a Palm Zire starts to look very attractive!

Having said that - rest assured when I am doing a PPC dev job PPCThoughts Dev forum will be the first place I'll look!!!!

Old 12-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

I'm a developer only so far as that I have the Visual Studio .Net (Everett) beta with the included Smart Device plug-in and I've played around with it. My technical skills aren't real deep, especially when it comes to coding for PPC, so my preference would be for more beginner-level articles.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it might help other wannabe developers get started, which would be a good thing, right?

Old 12-12-2002, 02:31 PM
BigCanoe
Ponderer
Default Same here

I always come here for news, I didn't even think to look for development discussion. I have written several applications in eVB and am struggling to get up to speed in C# for PocketPC at this time.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Beginner Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabaclue
I'm a developer only so far as that I have the Visual Studio .Net (Everett) beta with the included Smart Device plug-in and I've played around with it. My technical skills aren't real deep, especially when it comes to coding for PPC, so my preference would be for more beginner-level articles.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it might help other wannabe developers get started, which would be a good thing, right?
That sounds like a great idea, as long as they aren't too basic. In other words, don't try to teach programming in general; try to teach programmers about the Pocket PC platform.

Steve

Old 12-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed
Default Re: Beginner Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
That sounds like a great idea, as long as they aren't too basic. In other words, don't try to teach programming in general; try to teach programmers about the Pocket PC platform.
Exactly! Just the platform-specific stuff, like the PPC object model or SQLCE, things like that.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Let's Talk Developer Topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Take a look at the numbers!
The replies are small, but the views sure are high.