Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-04-2002, 10:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default How Much Memory is in that ViewSonic V35?

The new ViewSonic V35 Pocket PC one of the new sub $300 Pocket PCs, and one of the more powerful according to its specifications. The ViewSonic V35 web page says, and I quote, "Includes a whopping 32MB ROM and 64MB SDRAM so you can store more e-mail, photos and music." Well, 64MB to ViewSonic and 64MB to me seems to mean two different things. :?

This device is shipping and some of our readers have one. Brandon Hill sent me this photo of the device.

There is apparently only 36.45MB of RAM available to the user. Could this device have the NAND ROM like the HP iPAQ h1910 where a section of RAM is blocked off to load the core OS into RAM? (See this article for the difference between NAND ROM and NOR ROM.) That would be fine if ViewSonic disclosed that it had 64MB of RAM, 36MB available to the user like HP does with the h1910. For many people, this isn't a big deal, 36MB is plenty. It does make a HUGE difference though for power users, as many of you are. Regardless of whether you need 64MB or not, you should know what you are buying. We are trying to get clarification from ViewSonic on this issue. In the mean time, assume your V35 on order will come with 36.45MB of RAM for you to use. If you can live with that for $299, buy the device, otherwise cancel your order.

Perhaps a review of this rant is in order for the ViewSonic PR team. :evil: A $299 36MB 16bit color 300MHz Pocket PC is a good deal, especially given the ViewSonic's size. Deceiving the public is not cool though. I don't care if it has 1GB of RAM in it. If I can only use 36, it is a 36MB device. It is that simple. Just be honest about your specs.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual
Default Ticks me off!!

Hey, I'm the one that sent in the pic

[No hard feelings about the 512MB SD thing earlier Ed]

If NE1 else needs any more pics or info, let me know. My camera is ready and I'm willing to talk.

I have sent emails to every section of Viewsonic customer support and sales division. I have sent emails out to all the major PocketPC websites to get their feedback.

I've been talking with Julie Strietelmeier of The-Gadgeteer and she said that she also heard of the "issue"

I also talked to Lisa from PDA Buyers Guide and Viewsonic told her (when she inquirered about the 36.45MB memory issue) on her preproduction model that it would be resolved with production models. I GUESS NOT

I am highly ticked off about this b/c all Viewsonic had to do was INFORM us. I probably still would have bought it.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:24 PM
szamot
Sage

It looks as if though the consumer is either gouged like as in the Dell vs. Compaq, Toshiba etc or lied to as in Palm, ViewSonic etc. I think the time is ripe to express our views in a poll.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:32 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

Well, there is precedent established about this sort of thing where HP was sued by suggesting one can connect a Jornada to the Internet without pointing out that you need to buy a modem. Viewsonic ought to expect to be contacted by the Justice department or whatever Federal agency regulates product packaging and advertising.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:38 PM
jizmo
Thinker
Default Re: Ticks me off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster S
If NE1 else needs any more pics or info, let me know. My camera is ready and I'm willing to talk.
Please do, as many pics as you can give us and information also. :x-mas:

Have you got a site up somewhere with any files?

/jizmo

Old 12-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Here are more pics after I have installed all of my apps and stuff on my PDA. There IS a useable portion of the ROM, and I put it to use

And actually, NO WHERE on the box does it list that the device has 64MB of RAM. But their press releases and their website says 64MB of memory.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Boxter - get a screen capture utility. :wink:

Old 12-04-2002, 10:44 PM
alan williams
Ponderer

This does not bode well.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:46 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH! :twisted: This is horse__! I'm not a power-user and 32.4 (or whatever it is) is probably more than enough RAM for me since I will be using a SD card to store large files, mp3's, etc.

The point is lying and deception. I don't see this as an honest mistake. I think Viewsonic intentionally mislead it's consumers, and if the link attached in an earlier posting is any indication, they are not the first PDA maker to do business in this manner. This may be the classic case of cutting my nose to spite my face, but I just don't like doing business with company's that operate this way (regardless of quality of product).

I struggled over whether to go with the V35 or the Dell. It looks like I made the wrong decision. I've been hearing that the Dell is only a thick as my naked ipaq 3650 (far from the "brick" I've heard it described as). If that is the case, I will probably order the Dell and return the V35 (if Amazon EVER sends it).

I was pretty excited about the V35. THIS REALLY BITES!

Old 12-04-2002, 10:47 PM
mookie123
Thinker

Me thinks V35 is only worth $199 or less now. :?