Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Samsung Offers a Peek at New Pocket PC Phone

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n120202X,00.asp

I had previous heard of this Samsung Pocket PC Phone Edition device, but I had no idea it was so ambitious - GPS and TV Tuner in addition to full CDMA 2000 1X EvDO network access? Nice! The real question is whether or not we'll see this sold outside of South Korea...but from a pure spec point of view, this looks like one impressive Pocket PC Phone Edition!

"Samsung Electronics has taken the wraps off a prototype of what is likely to be the most fully-featured PDA phone it has yet produced when it goes on sale early next year. The SPH-M400 is based on Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition, Microsoft's operating system for PDA phones, and runs on CDMA 2000 1x EvDO networks. Such networks, which are already in commercial service in South Korea, are capable of data transmission at speeds up to 2.4 mbps. It was unveiled at Telecom Asia 2002, which officially opens here on Monday.

Looking much like a conventional PDA, the handset has a large thin film transistor LCD that can display 65,000 colors, voice recognition and a text-to-speech engine, a TV tuner, GPS satellite navigation, an infrared port, and a Secure Digital card slot with support for the SD I/O standard for plug-in peripherals. It is based around an Intel XScale processor running at 400 MHz, measures 5.2 inches by 2.8 inches by .7 inches and weighs 7.1 ounces."

Old 12-03-2002, 07:02 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default WOW

I can't wait until we see things like this in america. Why are we so far behind on the tech game. I thought our software companies were ruling over other countries. This is amazing. But long as i get a 400 mhz pocket pc phone by January i will be happy. Go samsung

Old 12-03-2002, 07:07 PM
mookie123
Thinker

GPS and TV built in??

wooot? 8O

Old 12-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Kirkaiya
Theorist
Send a message via Skype™ to Kirkaiya
Default TV

A TV tuner???

Wow!!

Now THAT is a cool device, especially since you could then (conceivably) use it as a PVR (Personal Video Recorder), storing your favorite programs onto a 512 MB SD card.. lol... This thing could be a TiVo, PDA, phone, and GPS tracker all in one. I can't believe they shoved all that into a package about the size of an iPaq..

Now, if only battery tech would make some great leap forward... where are those pocket-size fuel cells?

blog.HackingBangkok.com

Old 12-03-2002, 07:15 PM
portus
Ponderer

This looks like my dream device! Built-in GPS on a PPC Phone Edition? Looks like our real-life gadgets are getting closer to Si-Fi faster than we can imagine ...

Old 12-03-2002, 07:18 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

This is what I'm talking about!!!

Now, please tell me it has good battery life. PLEASE! PLEASE!

The only other thing I would possibly want would be WiFi, but that's debatable.

Me Likey!
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 12-03-2002, 07:22 PM
hrianto
Pupil

I wish they include WiFi and Bluetooth as well. Then this will be the perfect PDA. Oh.. have to be under 5oz as well if possible. 8)

Old 12-03-2002, 07:31 PM
Kirk Stephens
Intellectual

Wow 8O I hope this device doesn't just stay a prototype. I want this thing to become reality! Even better, an American reality. The only downside I could see with this thing is battery life. Can you imagine having this thing on cell phone standbye while recording Seinfeld to a SD card while it is verbally giving you GPS directions??? :way to go:

Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 PM
mookie123
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaq
This is what I'm talking about!!!
Now, please tell me it has good battery life. PLEASE! PLEASE!
The only other thing I would possibly want would be WiFi, but that's debatable.

Me Likey!
well it has SD/IO so if that SD WiFi ever to come out it will work.
and I hope this phone wil come with optional handbag size battery so it runs at least 3 hrs.

PS. Why can't they jsut get rid of the wireless phone and start selling the unit immediately in the US? i bet it'll be a hit.

or maybe just replace the CDMA with WiFi. voila.....another instant hit.

Old 12-03-2002, 07:45 PM
AKBishop
Pupil
Default TV Tuner?

What's the purpose of having a TV tuner in a PocketPC? Unless it has an antenna to receive broadcast channels, it seems pointless to me.