Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Artist 2.5 Released

http://www.conduits.com/products/artist/index.htm

Conduits has released Pocket Artist 2.5 for the Pocket PC platform. While 2.0 offered a staggering array of features for the handheld, 2.5 goes even further:

� Photo tools
� Improved memory usage
� Redesigned menu interface
� Added filters
� Level adjustment
� Auto levels
� Hue/Saturation adjustment
� Grain reduction tools
� Red-eye tool

Old 12-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Boxster S
Intellectual

$50????????????? I'd rather put that money to a full-featured desktop editing program like Photoshop 7.0

Old 12-03-2002, 12:51 AM
sub_tex
Theorist

well, photoshop costs WAY more than that, but i understand your point.

:wink:

Old 12-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_tex
well, photoshop costs WAY more than that, but i understand your point.

:wink:
Well, the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade can be had for $114 shipped free at Amazon. I recently saw the full version for $300 on FatWallet.com

I just don't see how editing photos on the PocketPC can be at all productive...especially 2.0 - 4.0 MP images.

Old 12-03-2002, 02:06 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

I am warning you again for the first time, Ed. Do not post anymore items about the Dell Axim or PocketArtist.

I can only hold out so long under so much pressure. :?

I just keep telling myself $50 is outrageous. $50 is outrageous. $50 is outrageous.

And TextMaker is even more. And TextMaker is even more. And TextMaker is even more.

......On the other hand, I do need a new desktop Word Processor and there is that discount. And it would help PocketPCThoughts. I do have the money.....

Who said that? Must control hand. Must not buy new Axim, TextMaker, PocketArtist. Must.......AHHHHHHHH!!!!

I am warning you again for the first time, Ed. Do not post anymore items about the Dell Axim or PocketArtist.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:17 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster S
$50????????????? I'd rather put that money to a full-featured desktop editing program like Photoshop 7.0
That same logic could be said about all Pocket PC and PDA sofware at any price. As an artist, either professional or just fooling around with it, can you, using Photoshop (min $400 with your $300 base and $115 upgrade, plus shipping) and a honker of a laptop, work on your master piece while waiting to get a hair cut, standing in line at the DMV, pretending to take notes in a meeting, or even going to the park and sitting under a tree?

King by Heidi Lingebark

Fire by Thomas Twohy

The Big Escape by Kim Andersen

Office (3) by Michelangelo Capraro

I think not. It is about mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson

I can only hold out so long under so much pressure. :?

I just keep telling myself $50 is outrageous. $50 is outrageous. $50 is outrageous.
:crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes:

Timothy...
You want the 400MHz Axim, preloaded with TextMaker and Pocket Artist....
Do not resist.....

:crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes: 8O :crazyeyes:

Old 12-03-2002, 03:47 AM
sponge
Philosopher

Actually Photoshop can be had for quite a bit less. Student discount baby! ;)

I do agree with $50 being a bit outrageous, these drawings were more an example of artistic skill (ie pen to paper) than program skills, so while the examples are quite impressive, it's more of artistry, than program power. Pocket Artist is more akin to Paint Shop Pro than anything else, if you must make comparisons.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 AM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
Actually Photoshop can be had for quite a bit less. Student discount baby!

I do agree with $50 being a bit outrageous, these drawings were more an example of artistic skill (ie pen to paper) than program skills, so while the examples are quite impressive, it's more of artistry, than program power. Pocket Artist is more akin to Paint Shop Pro than anything else, if you must make comparisons.
I agree, I don't pay more than $20 each for PPC apps. If it's more than $20, I don't need it.

Old 12-03-2002, 04:06 AM
ledpocket
Ponderer

I bought pocket artist 1.0, then paid the upgrade fee for 2.0

I also bought photogenics and acdsee mobile.

That's close to $150 in sofware, and I am not an artist.

I do, however, enjoy using all 3 programs to view and edit digital pictures, and do the occasional freehand drawing, and make new themes for Icbar.

If I didn't pay for them, my 30 day trial would be long gone, and I wouldn't have the ability to prove how uncreative I am.

Just to compare, I just spent $60 on SOCOM for the PS2, and in a couple weeks, it wll be collecting dust. (I have been using pocket artist for at least a year and a half, and expect it to be useful for at least another year = good value in my book)

Just my opinion

Old 12-03-2002, 04:14 AM
ipaq adam
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to ipaq adam

Pocket Artist is indeed wonderful, fully featured software. But here's something I ran into the other day: Moblie Atelier, which can be found at FreewarePPC.com. It's also called Mobile Painting and NFCanvas2.
http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/mobileatelier.shtml

This software is only built to handle 240x320 images, and it doesn't hold a candle to Pocket Artist as far as features go. It's got a very steep learning curve, but once I figured it out, I quite liked it, and I've sketched a lot of stuff in it. I've found it very useful for sketching pictures while I stand in bank lines (no kidding!). Here's the software's official web site: http://www1.mahoroba.ne.jp/cgi-bin/u...nefa/ecafe.cgi

If you have a digital camera, though, Pocket Artist is very useful and very cheap compared to some of the Pocket PC image editing software I've looked at (some software is so expensive, it includes an iPaq!). But, yes, I would own a copy if it were $20. I just blew all my PPC software fund on TextMaker.