Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-01-2002, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba 5 GB Bluetooth Hard Drive

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/pres...2_10/pr0902.htm

Interesting concept - we heard about this product earlier this year, and it looks like Toshiba started shipping this device in Japan this month. It's a powerful concept, although I think it makes the most sense when paired with a Bluetooth digital camera - local storage would just be a buffer while the image is written to the hard drive. Again though, the Bluetooth bandwidth limitation comes up - 96 KB/s (768 Kbps) isn't very fast for storing 10+ MB images from a camera in RAW format. Still, it's great to see Toshiba innovating on this front.

"Toshiba Corporation today announced the commercial release of HOPBIT, a personal mobile server that combines the wireless connectivity of BluetoothTM with the storage capabilities of a large capacity hard disk drive. Small enough to slip into a pocket and light enough to carry everywhere, HOPBIT is a powerful personal tool that can transmit, receive and store large volume data sources--including images and music--communicate with digital networks, and provide a new dimension in portable memory for personal information equipment, such as PDA and PC.

HOPBIT is a new concept in personal data storage that integrates short-range BluetoothTM wireless technology with a 5GB, 1.8-inch HDD, giving it the ability to store some 1000 pieces of music1, almost 37 hours of moving images2, and about 3000 digital pictures3. Toshiba-developed anti-vibration and shock technology assure error-free operation, even when on the move with the HOPBIT stored in a hand-carried bag, such as an attach� case."

Old 12-01-2002, 10:13 PM
torring
Pupil
Default Sream audio

Wouldn't this be a great way to stream audio to your PocketPC?

I could imagine using it in e.g. a car with the PocketPC attached to the amplifier.

A agree that the bandwidth is suboptimal for most other applications, but for this it would be more than adequate.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Why not Wi-Fi?? I mean, come on!!!!!!!!! It can't be that hard to make it Wi-Fi instead. You get faster speeds and longer range.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:40 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster S
Why not Wi-Fi?? I mean, come on!!!!!!!!! It can't be that hard to make it Wi-Fi instead. You get faster speeds and longer range.
Two words. Battery power. BTW, do you really want the longer range with your portable data so that someone on the subway can rip off the Word document you are working on? Toshiba went the right way on this, I believe. When will people understand that Bluetooth and WiFi are intended for TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PURPOSES?

Old 12-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Shadowcat
Intellectual
Default Re: Sream audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by torring

I could imagine using it in e.g. a car with the PocketPC attached to the amplifier.

A agree that the bandwidth is suboptimal for most other applications, but for this it would be more than adequate.
I was wondering...is Bluetooth even fast enough for streaming mp3s and mpegs?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMCarson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster S
Two words. Battery power. BTW, do you really want the longer range with your portable data so that someone on the subway can rip off the Word document you are working on? Toshiba went the right way on this, I believe. When will people understand that Bluetooth and WiFi are intended for TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PURPOSES?
To your concerns on someone ripping you off on the subway, that's what encryption is for.

What's the point of having 5GB of portable storage if you're going to be limited by such low transfer speeds (which will be even lower in the real world than their rated speeds).

And if you need 5GB of storage for your trip on the subway, I'd say that you need to find something better to do with your time

If you're going to be on the subway playing audio (b/c Lord knows that Bluetooth isn't fast enough to stream movies), I don't see how a 256MB - 512MB CF/SD card wouldn't be sufficient unless you are traveling from like New York to North Carolina on Amtrak

If you're going to be at work/home, all you need is a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi card to access your 80+ GB hard drive on your personal computer.

If you have a CF slot, you can always slap in a Microdrive.

There are MANY other more cost-effective ways of getting more storage than this attempt at getting people to "geek up" even more by carrying around a 5GB snail.

It's be like having a Ferrari 360 Modena and being stuck in 30MPH school zone on a daily basis.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcat
Quote:

I've been really disappointed with the speed of bluetooth on my Loox. On file-transfers maxes out to about 5-6 kb/sec (yes, about dail-up modem speeds :evil:

And its incredibly unrelaible, very fiddly, long start-up times and always dropping. Give me wifi any day.

Surur
(who would Loove to see 96 Kb/sec )

Old 12-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcat
Quote:

I've been really disappointed with the speed of bluetooth on my Loox. On file-transfers maxes out to about 5-6 kb/sec (yes, about dail-up modem speeds :evil:

And its incredibly unrelaible, very fiddly, long start-up times and always dropping. Give me wifi any day.

Surur
(who would Loove to see 96 Kb/sec )
EXACTLY. Bluetooth is STILL to finicky and unreliable at this point for me to even consider using. And with its low transfer speeds, 5GB is pretty wasteful.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:35 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Another product that goes to show that just because you can make something doesn't mean you should

By the way, I notice it looks like Toshiba is using their "old" Bluetooth SD card. I wonder whatever happened to that new, smaller version that supposedly started mass production back in Sept. I haven't heard a thing about it...

Old 12-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:

Hmm....I don't know. 96 KB/s is the max speed, real-world is probably less than that. 128 Kbps MP3s would need buffering before they'd start playing, although 64 Kbps WMA would be possible. It's a good idea though... :-)