Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Not Using a Pocket PC

As I mentioned yesterday, I sent my XDA off to get an upgrade to 128 MB of RAM. Today, rather than load up my HP 565, I thought I'd try something that I haven't done in three years - I went a day without a Pocket PC. The results? It was...interesting.

First I went to get my hair cut - I was stuck waiting, and normally I'd take the time to play a game of Snails. Instead I was stuck reading a six month old copy of Teen People with Justin Timberlake on the cover. 8O After that I was off to the bank, where once again I was waiting in line. Normally I'd check my email with the XDA. Instead, I was stuck staring at the walls. :? What I wouldn't have given to read some Sci-Fi channel news through AvantGo.

As I was standing in line, I got the idea for this post - but rather than being able to whip out the Pocket PC and jot down some notes (or use the voice recorder), I had to <gasp> remember it! Anyone who knows me understands that I have practically no short term memory, so it's a miracle I remembered the concept for this post. And it's a good thing I recently started wearing a watch, or I would have had no clue what time it was - let alone know if I had any appointments (thankfully I didn't!).

Sometimes I wonder if I need a Pocket PC so badly because I have ADD, or if the rest of the world doesn't know what it's missing. What about you? What's the biggest thing you miss when you go without your Pocket PC?

Old 11-30-2002, 04:17 PM
mookie123
Thinker

I think you have ADD. :lol:

how about maybe run some calculation inside your head with all that extra brain cycle you have? wouldn't it be great if we can donate some idle brain cycle in super massive networked computer?

Old 11-30-2002, 04:18 PM
TMAN
Ponderer

I feel your pain. I have been thinking about sending in my 3970 for the 128MB upgrade as well. The thought of being without my Pocket PC for a week is maddening.

I had to do it once before. Luckily or maybe unluckily, I had a Clio-1050. Dragging that thing around as a replacement was a nightmare. At least I still made it to meetings on time.

The biggest thing I miss? The whole thing. But on a daily basis I would miss reading and listening to books and music, taking notes, having every number at my disposal, and having my schedule with me.
Current: iPhone, HTC AdvantagePast: 200LX,Newton 120,MP 2100,PalmPilot,Velo1, 620LX,660LX,HP's 680,690,568,REX5000,TriPad,Clio-1050,z50,E-115,E-125,Visor Prism,Aero 2130, iPAQs 3650,3670,3850,3870,5450, Toshiba e740, 128MB iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 5555, Treo 600, Treo 650, PPC-6700

Old 11-30-2002, 04:23 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

I can understand where you are coming from on this!

I have a memory disorder as a result of an 'incident' in 1987. For years I struggled through my days failing to get things done, not remembering why I was going places etc. (pen and paper never worked - I would forget them!!).

Buying the Philips Velo was a life changer and I was never without a Win CE PDA from that point on. Having Tasks, Calendar and Contacts permanently to hand, being able to record by pen or voice anything I thought of (instead of inevitably forgetting them). Having student records easily accessible ('cos I would never remember them otherwise!).

Then I sold my iPAQ 3870 back in April expecting to get my Loox very soon after. As things turned out it was months before I had my new PPC. I found the hole my absent PDA left in my life was a huge one (with constant list writing by my wife being a poor replacement!).

So - in future I'm not even going one day without a Pocket PC by my side (I even have two now - just to be safe!).

Old 11-30-2002, 04:40 PM
paris
Intellectual

I totally understand you Jason.

I have been without my Pocket PC for over a week now. I sold my one year old H3850 to get the new kick ass H5450.

Day one - I was reading some articles on the internet and as i maintain a greek news site i wanted to convert some $ to � but :cry: but i did not have my pocket PC to use worldmate.

Day two - Well i was about to go to the toilet and i realized again that i did not have Pocket PC so i had to stare at the walls :?

Day three - I was in the university and i wanted to check my bank acount status but i did not have a ppc to use ewallet.

Day four - Well i missed a lecture in the morning since i did not have an alarm as loud as my iPaq to wake me up.

Day five - I did manage to get my T68i to synch with outlook so i could have some sort if info on me.

Day six - Well i was about to start Cash Organizer and write down all my expences for the past few days but no ppc, i had to use excel on my pc(thank god i did export my data to excel)

Day seven - Well i found a few new appz a cool new wisbar skin by Lightman but i did not have my ppc to try them on.

Day eight - Well i went bellistic when i saw that expansys.com had set the availability of the iPaq H5450 in 21 days. agh :evil:

Day nine - Well things got even wost taday when i received my Pocket PC magazine and i do not have a pocket pc.

Old 11-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

No one who's posted so far, except Duncan, has gone through what I did - I had to have my 3870 repaired 3 consecutive times by Compaq. I didn't have my iPaq for a month. (My right-button was firing automatically; the first time returned, they messed up the backlight and left the record button out; the second time they fixed the record button but still had the backlighting problem; the third time they replaced the screen entirely. Yay.)

It's real hard, once you've gotten used to depending on it daily. The worst was the loss of my MP3's -- on the train, with a lot of background (esp. obnoxious people) noise, the music helps me sleep. Let's put it this way, I slept a lot less. Tried listening to FM, and rediscovered how terrible modern radio is.

I dealt with the organizer tasks by firing up my laptop a lot more. Awkward, but I managed.

I was the happiest guy on earth the day the 3870 actually came back and worked and I could use everything. Just then my T68 died, but that's another story for another time. Suffice it to say that having both is essential for me. I'll be getting the 5450, but I won't give up my 3870 until that 5450 is in my hands.

--bdj

Old 11-30-2002, 04:58 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Not Using a Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
What's the biggest thing you miss when you go without your Pocket PC?
Feeling its soft cool curves in my pocket, knowing those smooth edges are right there waiting for me to touch it.

Wait... did I type that or just think that? :lol: 8O

I don't know what I'd do without a Pocket PC anymore. I keep my trusty old 3600 around for just such emergencies if my main device has to go for repairs.

Old 11-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Steven Cedrone

Nice experiment, I don't think I would ever try it! :wink:

I really don't think I could go a whole day without having my Pocket PC with me. I have way too much data on it that I reference continually throughout the day...

Steve

Old 11-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

Quote:
As I was standing in line, I got the idea for this post - but rather than being able to whip out the Pocket PC and jot down some notes (or use the voice recorder),
I'm still busy picturing Jason in line at the bank dictating PPC Thoughts. I must admit, I've been shunning my PPC just a bit over the last week. Half because it's so cold I don't go anywhere long, half because I'm just too excited about all the new things the Axim brings. I still bring it every time I know I'll be out for more than a few minutes though. I'd hate sitting through a 3 1/2 hour class without it.

Old 11-30-2002, 05:23 PM
malcolmsharp
Ponderer
Default Mini Brains

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that someone was testing using PDA's for elderly people as a memory aid... alarm beeps when it's time to take meds, important phone numbers, doctor appointments.

I've had family members that took care of other older members, and the number one thing they did was remind them constantly of important things. I would imagine it would be more convinent, not to mention less humiliating, to get such things from a machine.