Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 11-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Survey of Microsoft .LIT eBooks

http://www.mslit.com/redirect/survey/

Microsoft is gathering information on how users are using (or not using) Microsoft Reader and other ebook formats. If you have 10 minutes or so, answer the 50 questions about your ebook usage patterns.

And let 'em know device activation is not acceptable! :evil:

Old 11-29-2002, 09:48 PM
avoglio
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to avoglio

I answered two questions:

WHICH READERS DO YOU OWN :
(7 readers), crossed MS READER

DID YOU USE MS READER ?
crossed NO

END

:lol: If it was a serious questionaire, one should have added options like "why did you never use it ?" or whatever .. maybe they just wanna hear what they want to hear :wink:

Old 11-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Gordo
Intellectual
Default Not questions on creation of content

I use the Reader for viewing documents that I create. I find it easier to take a word document and create a .lit from it for mobile reading. There were no questions relating to this type of usage!

Old 11-29-2002, 11:34 PM
pkwjr
Pupil
Default ebooks

I would be interested what type of reader people use and why. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
I would be interested what type of reader people use and why. Thanks.
Primarily Palm Reader from www.peanutpress.com because their level of DRM ties a book to the owner so I can easily transfer the book to different devices by simply re-entering my credit card number into the ebook. No device activation required or limits on what devices I can put it on. Also, like a paper book, I can give the ebook to my wife for reading on her device when i am done with it. Because it uses my credit card number, i am not likely to post the ebook on the internet and give the unlock code.

Old 11-30-2002, 12:04 AM
Steven Cedrone

Free books: Microsoft Reader.
Books I purchase: Peanut Press.

Steve

Old 11-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

It always dismays me, but somehow I am never surprised, when I go to a Microsoft site and find that it is extremely difficult to navigate via Pocket IE. Same for this questionaire. What's with the endless side-scrolling???
Anyway, I use MS Reader for things only available in that format, and for my older collection from before I found �book, which handles a couple of 'other' formats well. Baen Books are especially nice in zipped HTML format in �book, with the font set to medium with Papyrus.ttf, in a deep brown ink on a textured 'paper' background in a creamy off-white. Links need no distinctive colour, as they are underlined, so I use the same colour. I told MS about it a little, though I hardly expect them to adopt such little things, as they only serve to increase reader comfort. No point in that, right?

Old 11-30-2002, 12:16 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
It always dismays me, but somehow I am never surprised, when I go to a Microsoft site and find that it is extremely difficult to navigate via Pocket IE. Same for this questionaire. What's with the endless side-scrolling???
Sad isn't it? If MS won't bother with PIE 3.02 compliant pages, why would they expect others to?

Old 11-30-2002, 12:39 AM
Steven Cedrone

In all fairness, MS isn't administering the survey. They pay someone else to do it for them...

Steve

Old 11-30-2002, 01:08 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
In all fairness, MS isn't administering the survey. They pay someone else to do it for them...

Steve
But I would think they could propose some requirements, like "it should work with our browsers". Maybe they just forgot people actually use PocketPCs ops: