Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Informant 3.4 Released

http://www.pocketinformant.com

Pocket Informant 3.4 was released today. The "fish eye" month view is there and very cool. I've been using it for a few months. I would much rather check my long range schedule on my Pocket PC now than use Outlook even if I am sitting at my desk. Month View packs so much information without information overload.

Other new features:
� Search toolbar now has a double column A-Z selector
� Options app is localized
� Hierarchical Tasks in the Tasks View
� Agenda View One Line mode
� Task Alarms now sync to the desktop and from the desktop back to the Pocket PC. However, due to how ActiveSync works - alarms synched from the desktop to the Pocket PC only get set to 8am. You would need to open the task for editing in PI and then save it to set the alarm at the correct time. This is only for alarms synched from the desktop to the Pocket PC and is due to a limitation in Pocket Outlook.

New Task Hierarchy

Check out the list of changes, enhancements and bug fixes at their site.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Ed, the fisheye view was present in 3.3, although the "What's new" seems to say it's an improved view. The hierarchical tasks is huge though. I'm curious to see how they use the underlying POOM structures to store it, since Pocket Outlook Tasks aren't. But in any case, this solves my switching between Tasks & ListPro!

--bdj

Old 11-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Ed Hansberry

Was it? ops: I can never remember. I think this 3.4 is the first time in a long time I've actually had a release version. :lol: Seems to drift between betas and RC's pretty quickly.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

The best... just got better!! People, your pocket pc DESERVES this software!!

(yeah, I love it. no, I have no affiliation to the company :roll: )

Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

I just can't wait to see the speed on the Axim compared to the old J525. Should be quite the difference.
Hierarchical Tasks sound wonderful!

Old 11-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

So I tried the hierarchical tasks, and they worked exactly as advertised. However (and this is unsurprising) - they store the task info not in the POOM store, but rather in a file in the Pocket Informant directory. According to the manual:

Quote:
The Hierarchical Tasks file (\My Documents\WebIS\TasksHierarchy.bin) was designed to be fully transportable to different PDAs and to survive a restore from a backup.

However, we had some complications in figuring out WHEN to run this code automatically without causing a major performance hit each time you ran Pocket Informant.

So we plan to release a standalone utility after 3.4 ships to be run after a restore or PDA move to rekey the HT file. This is necessary because for performance reasons we use the ID of the record of the parent and child tasks. But after a restore or resync, the ID is different. But since we save some other info about the task - we can usually reconstruct the HT anywhere from 99-100% (if you have a bunch of HT tasks with all the same subjects over 25 characters in length... - it will not work as well).
Additionally, the tasks appear as uniform non-hierarchical tasks in Pocket and Desktop Outlook. So while this is useful, and a nifty accomplishment on part of Alex & co., ideally one would have a desktop-version Pocket Informant that can actually display these hierarchically.

--bdj

Old 11-26-2002, 11:23 PM
mattsmith0622
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to mattsmith0622

The changes are nice, but the software still runs at a snail's pace.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyJ
So I tried the hierarchical tasks, and they worked exactly as advertised. However (and this is unsurprising) - they store the task info not in the POOM store, but rather in a file in the Pocket Informant directory. According to the manual:
That is good though. Makes the data portable between devices.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:39 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I don't know sometimes Pocket Informant just looks like overkill to me, at a quick glance it's like yikes Too much info :shocked!: on the screen at one time, I know it's just me cause everybody else fawns over it but no thanks! (please don't flame just stating my opinion)

Old 11-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
I don't know sometimes Pocket Informant just looks like overkill to me, at a quick glance it's like yikes Too much info :shocked!: on the screen at one time, I know it's just me cause everybody else fawns over it but no thanks! (please don't flame just stating my opinion)
It is quite customizable. You can turn info off and on and even create custom views to quickly toggle between a quick glance at the calendar or something with icons, tasks and priorities all at once.