Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Ecovell USB DC Car Power Adaptor

E-Preview Corp. sent me an interesting little device that, while quite simple, makes for a very useful travel accessory. One of the trends I've noticed lately is the increasing focus on providing power for mobile devices in a car. Last year I bought a power brick that plugs into my vehicle cigarette lighter (I think that needs a new name - "Firestarter") and gives me a standard AC outlet to plug into. On long car trips, having my laptop with me for work is a beautiful thing. The adaptor is clunky though, and the solution isn't very elegant

Some newer cars, like the Pontiac Vibe, now have an AC outlet built into the car. Nice! That still requires you to bring your clunky AC adaptor. I've found a better way around that - the Ecovell USB DC Car Power Adaptor (they need a shorter name!) accepts USB cable input and provides power for that device. Now, most USB cables are for synchronizing purposes only, not for charging (ie: you wouldn't want to plug your camera USB sync cable into this device). However, if you have a USB sync/charge cable for your Pocket PC, you have the perfect travelling equipment.

I tested the USB Car Adaptor with a sync/charge cable from Gomadic, and it worked nicely. The combination of these two items make for a very light-weight and small solution to getting power on the road.

Some further specs on the Ecovell USB DC Car Power Adaptor:

� Up to 2000 mA max output. About 4 X the power compared to regular USB power output.
� USB receptacle matches all ECOVELL USB Power Cable or Power/Sync Cable for most PDAs, cell phones, digital cameras, camcorders, 2 way radio and other devices.
� Smart micro controller provides 2 layers of surge protection with instant current and stable voltage output.

E-Preview Corp. doesn't sell these items themselves - they are a supplier to the following companies that do:

www.gooddealpc.com
www.kricomputer.com
www.usaving.com
www.talkall.com

Old 11-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

I Use a similar product for charging my Ipaq - Tmobile PPCPE and erriccsson phones It is from a company called www.nd-dimension.com they have different ends to charge differnt devices. Its cool because i can take a small charger for multiple rather than all my differnt chargers. Also I use Xtend power air/auto adapter. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=382885

Cdw has it with multiple adapters fo fit different laptops. I bought this one for my thinkpads and sony vaio. Works great on a plane. Now if only exveryplane would have power in every seat. THe newer airbus planes do.

HTH[/url]

Old 11-11-2002, 11:07 PM
dazz
Theorist

Ha!! Had to laugh at the Firestarter product name.

They definitely need to change that name. :lol:

dazz

Old 11-12-2002, 03:25 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

These kinds of products are great! I use the one from Belkin for my Jornada and it's been great. Most of the time, I use it as my sync cable at work, but if I'm going on a trip, I snag it to charge on the go.

I tried to locate the old packaging to find the power rating but it's no where to be found.

Paul

Old 11-12-2002, 05:12 AM
RKosin
Ponderer
Default Belkin

Curiousity got the best :confused totally: and the Belkin package contains no tech details.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:16 AM
PP MAryl
Pupil

I use it for few weeks already and it is good one.

Old 11-12-2002, 04:00 PM
peterawest
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmradio
These kinds of products are great! I use the one from Belkin for my Jornada
I use Belkin too. I just leave the lighter part in my car and keep the cable with me. Belkin makes them for several Pocket PC's.

With more on the way:

Toshiba

And I find that the prices are better over at Buy.com:

iPAQ
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...16&loc=101

Toshiba
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...64&loc=101

Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

I e-mailed Belkin for the power figures. They responded that the tech support department didn't have them because it was mostly pass-through, but the standard max power from a USB port was 500mA's.

Also, they confirmed there is a replaceable fuse in the 12V adapter. Just thought I'd pass along their response.

Paul