Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba Prot�g� 3500 Tablet PC

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_tabletPcDetail.jsp?comm=CS

Today is Tablet PC launch day, and Toshiba's offering looks quite nice: PIII-1.33 GHz, 12.1" XGA TFT, 40 GB, 256MB(x1), Modem, LAN, WiFi, WinXP-Tablet. Price? $2299 US. They have a model for $2499 that bumps RAM up to 512 MB, but I'm sure you could get the extra RAM from Crucial for less than that. I'm looking for a new laptop early next year, and this might fit the bill. It has an integrated SD slot, which is excellent, but no Firewire! Boo-hiss! :cry: Firewire is a must-have for me, and although I have an Adaptec PCMCIA Firewire card, having it integrated would make it so much easier.

You can also check out the spec sheet for further details (European site).

Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

This and the new Samsung and HP all look like great big Sony Clies to me. I do hope they do better than the HPC clamshells, the Clie and what was the name of the CE HP clamshell? I really thought those would sell to high school and college students in big number for low prices (I thought for CE, around the $200-400 that QuickPads, and Dana-type models get down to when they are fully ramped up to sell.

Not that these will ever make it below $1000. They are interesting, but at the current price/configuration they are expensive very specialized market laptops.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 PM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

Don't forget a CF Type II slot (along with the SD) and Bluetooth!

Sweeet!

and USB 2.0 of course...

Brochure: http://computers.toshiba-europe.com/...3500_1102E.pdf

Old 11-07-2002, 08:12 PM
spg
Sage

Yeah, firewire is a must for those who do digital video alot. But that isn't the reason most OEMs put Firewire in their Tablet PCs. They put it there to allow for external drives at a high enough transfer speed. The HP TC1000 and the Toshiba Portege 3500 (the one you posted about), don't have firewire because they have USB 2.0 instead of 1.1 allowing for the faster speeds needed.

Of course this doesn't help you alot if you are the faster smarter digital video guy, dude, geek, whatever. :lol: I do wish HP and Toshiba had gone ahead and put firewire in, but other than that the Portege 3500 looks like just about the best Tablet PC out there at the moment.

The hinge that allows the converting is much stronger than the Acer C100's, plus it has a 12 inch screen instead of a 10 inch. The only other drawback that I can find is that it weighs in at 4 pounds, one more pound than the Acer.

A guy by the screen name of captnroger from the forums on my site went out and purchased the Toshiba from CompUSA last night. He has done some little first impressions reviews, and posted some pictures too. Don't mean to plug my site, but thought it might interest you.
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...p?TOPIC_ID=275

Old 11-07-2002, 08:22 PM
alandashby
Ponderer

I wish that it was as thin as the 2000 model, I will be waiting for something smaller.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

It seems a little pricey for what you get. Why not just get a full laptop from Dell?? I haven't done any price comparisons, but for the same money you can get a much more powerfull latop. no? :?

Old 11-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Tom Eichers
Pupil

Looks fine, but I will still wait for a 'real' tablet pc.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Wiggin
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
It seems a little pricey for what you get. Why not just get a full laptop from Dell?? :?
Blue, if you want a laptop, why are you looking at Tablets?? :lol: They're not equals. Perhaps you should do a bit more research on the capabilities of the Screen and imbedded SW and then decide if you want to "switch" from a laptop to a Tablet. :way to go:

Old 11-07-2002, 08:47 PM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eichers
Looks fine, but I will still wait for a 'real' tablet pc.
Sorry, but what does this mean exactly? Are we supposed to guess? :lol:

Old 11-07-2002, 09:23 PM
ECOslin
Thinker

What kind of stress goes on the monitor cable everytime this thing is opened and closed?
On the cable connectors?

Fewer moving parts, is a good thing!!

Edward