Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-06-2002, 09:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Axim X5 Specifications Confirmed by Dell

Tyler Regas from PDAHandyman passed me an email from a Dell PR rep who I've been exchanging email with. I'm practically begging for an advance unit, but Dell's "just in time" way of doing business makes this highly unlikely. I hope to have a unit in hand for review soon after the 18th though! The image below is a resized version of a very high-resolution image (300 KB).

An important note on availability: I've confirmed with Dell that the Axim X5 will be released November 18th in Canada, the USA, and Mexico. EMEA and Asia-Pacific will follow sometime after the first of the year (Q1 I would assume). Now, on to the specs

Sleek, Ergonomic, Sophisticated Design
196g (6.9 oz)
128 x 81.5 x 18mm (5" x 3.2" x 0.7")
Power Button, 4 Application Keys, 5-way Navigator Button, Scroll Dial, Record Button, Headphone mini-jack

Productivity & Expansion Versatility
Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium
Intel Xscale Processor at 400MHz or 300MHz
Brilliant 3.5" TFT 240x320 QVGA 65K Color Transflective LCD 64MB SDRAM
or 32MB SDRAM 48MB or 32MB Intel StrataFlash ROM
1 CompactFlash Type II Slot
1 Secure Digital / MMC Memory Slot
IrDA port
1440mAh Li-Ion Removable Battery with Backup Battery
Built-in Microphone & Speaker
2 LED's
Bluetooth supported via CompactFlash Type II Card
Wi-Fi 802.11b supported via CompactFlash Type II Card
Cradle with 2nd primary battery charging slot
Ships with Cradle or Synch Cable, AC Adapter, Protective Jacket, Extra
Stylus, System Documentation, Companion CD (SW Apps & Docs)

You're probably all twigging on the word "Transflective" above - my source at Dell is doing some further checking, but it seems to be side-lit, not back lit. There are two configurations, priced at $299 (after rebate) and $199 (after rebate). These are the differences:

$299 Axim X5
400MHz Xscale
64MB SDRAM
48MB flash ROM
USB or serial synch cradle

$199 Axim X5
300MHz Xscale
32MB SDRAM
32MB flash ROM
USB or serial synch CABLE (cradle available as an upsell for this unit)

Old 11-06-2002, 09:09 PM
splintercell
Ponderer

Damn the rebates! :evil: How much of a rebate?

Old 11-06-2002, 09:10 PM
xbalance
Ponderer
Default Yes please

A month a go I sold my Ipaq 3765 and PCMCIA sleeve for $325. This is why I made the decision to sell. All I can to say to Dell is :way to go:

Old 11-06-2002, 09:12 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

More info/pics:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...518#post400518

Old 11-06-2002, 09:14 PM
JornadaJ
Ponderer

Ohhhh...wow....

Wow...

I need a moment....

Old 11-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Well, I don't care how cheap this thing is (the 400MHz version), it's too thick and heavy. There is NO reason why they couldn't have made it as thin and light as the e550G which also has dual slots or the Jornada 565 which has a removeable battery.

I'm glad I ordered the Viewsonic V35 from Amazon for $299.95 - $5 coupon - $25 Mail-in-Rebate = $269.95

Old 11-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

:x Blast - first I find out it won't be available in the UK for another month or two - then I twig that this is a SIDELIT transfexive screen. :roll: Great. :cry: OK - back to the drawing board. I hope that this device brings down the price of something I actually want to buy. The next model of the Toshiba 740 with backlit transflexive screen would be favourite just now. :?

Old 11-06-2002, 09:30 PM
exsilio
Pupil

everything looks good...except for the WEIGHT and the WAIT.

It's going to weigh 50% more than the upcoming Viewsonic...the tradeoff? A CF Slot.

But for the price it will be hard to beat. For the same price of the V35, after rebate, you can get the top of the line Dell with the extra CF Slot AND 33% faster processor.

But than again you can get the V35 for $25 off at amazon up until the end of November....hmmmm. This is the kind of debating that PocketPC users have been salivating for.

I think Palm just soiled themselves.

And to PDA Gerbil, sidelit TR has it's own merits versus backlit. Better viewing in outside light is one of them. And I believe it is more battery efficient.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsilio
And to PDA Gerbil, sidelit TR has it's own merits versus backlit. Better viewing in outside light is one of them. And I believe it is more battery efficient.
NO - neither are true. REAL backlit transflexive is more efficient - as in a reflective device a lot of light is wasted reflected right off the screen. With backlit less light & therefore energy is needed to light up the screen. Outside viewability on the IPAQ 39xx screen is almost identical to the 38xx screens.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:40 PM
khpchan
Neophyte
Default Good news

Okay. I have been a long-time Palm user. But Dell is going to swing me to the PPC side this time.

Yes, this unit is big and bulky, but I don't give a ????. A small, portable device is useless if it can only do almost nothing.

One final question for you PPC experts. What is the performance of 400 X-scale in terms of CPU support? Especially, what are the benchmarks for multimedia? (I know it varies from units to units, but I am very concerned about its performance though...)

Thank you for any who help me out! Thank you again!

A happy man... :P