Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Any Bored, Talented Coders Out There?

For over a year I've been performing battery tests and recording results using a variety of Pocket PCs ranging from old-school Casio E-125s to the new XDA devices. I have a nice meaty spreadsheet with some great data, but simply posting a spreadsheet wouldn't be very helpful to the readers of this site. I'm looking for someone with talent and time to do myself and the Pocket PC community a great service by creating a method for us to access this data.

What I envision is an engine that would allow users to select one or more devices, and select comparison data based on a number of factors (with or without memory cards, screen brightness settings, etc.). I have the data, but I need a nice engine (perhaps Flash-based?) to store and manipulate the data. I'd also need to be able to insert new data as it is gathered.

Any takers?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Newsboy
Theorist

Why not ask Phillip?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy
Why not ask Phillip?
I did, but he's away on a honeymoon remember? :wink: There are things more important than Flash!

Old 10-29-2002, 10:28 PM
someppcuser
Pupil

You want somebody for free?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by someppcuser
You want somebody for free?
Yup. But I'll make 'em famous. :wink: I can just post static Excel-copied graphs like everyone else, but I wanted something that would be more flexible and more interesting. It would be a big service to the Pocket PC community as a whole!

Old 10-29-2002, 10:53 PM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

you have that much data? Please post it somewhere, I'm dying to see it. We don't have a lot unbiased battery test data. Usually comparisons come in bunches of 2 or 3 (for example, ipaq vs e740). The one on pocketpcpassion.com is the best one so far (has 7-8 units, tests them running mp3 loop).

Old 10-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshtoshtosh
you have that much data? Please post it somewhere, I'm dying to see it.
Yeah, I have a lot of data. :-) I have 47 different battery backlight tests run on a variety of devices, and 27 different audio tests (looping 64 Kbps WMA file).

That's what this post is about - finding a way to present it in a nice fashion. I don't want to just post an Excel file (boring!), and I don't want to steal my own thunder. Patience.

Old 10-29-2002, 11:07 PM
someppcuser
Pupil

I could do something for PocketPC with net connection only...In Flash 5, but maybe it could be phase 2, after somebody did a desktop browser version?

Old 10-29-2002, 11:30 PM
Don Sorcinelli
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via MSN to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via Yahoo to Don Sorcinelli

Jason,

If you are using PHP with mySQL as the backend database, why not take advantage of it?

You would need one data entry page (Admin-only accessible), and then one page to present the data. There are a number of PHP techniques for rendering graphs, especially bar graphs (which would probably work best for comparative data).

I'd offer to do it myself, but I'm already stretched thin for time lately. Damn the day for only being 24 hours long :wink:

Old 10-29-2002, 11:37 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Why use a propietary Flash plugin when you can use good ol HTML, MySQL, and be a lot more compatible? I often browse with Flash off as it's abused, and is a complete system hog on older PCs. I'd stay away from Flash, it's not really needed for something this simple.