Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-29-2002, 12:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket PC 2002 Notification Bubbles

Notification Bubbles are a Pocket PC 2002 feature that give the user feedback on what�s going on with their device. This quick tip gives you some pointers on how to interpret what those pop-up bubbles mean.

This handy Pocket PC 2002 feature keeps you in the loop with what�s new on your device.

There are several kinds of notification bubbles that can pop up on your device, and they�re all designed to inform you of something specific. Most are automatic, but some (like Figure 1 below) can be manually triggered. In the case of the Time and Next Appointment notification bubble, you can trigger this by tapping once on the time in the top status bar. This notification shows you the time, the date, your battery status (in a very limited fashion) and your next appointment. This is nice to know when you�re doing something else, like typing up a report in Pocket Word, and you want to see where you have to be next without leaving your application.

Figure 1: The Time and Next Appointment notification

Other notifications include:

� New email from a synchronization will trigger the New Email Messages notification bubble, telling you how many new email messages you have to read (Figure 2)
� If you receive a new Instant Message from a contact, there�s a special notification for that
� When your battery is running low, there�s a special low battery notification
� On the Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition, there are also notifications for incoming SMS messages

Figure 2: The New Email Messages notification bubble

Old 10-29-2002, 05:30 AM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

I want to comment on how slow these bubbles are. I know why they are technically, but it still sucks. On my Genio e550G it sometimes takes 5 or 6 seconds for my clock or sound bubbles to open after I tap their respective icons. On a PDA 6 seconds seems like forever![/list][/list]
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 10-29-2002, 05:52 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I agree completely Charles! Screen redraws across the Pocket PC are slow in general, especially when you have several apps going at once. Crappy performance remains one of my big frustrations with these devices in general...

Old 10-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Time to Display Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Pickrell
I want to comment on how slow these bubbles are. I know why they are technically, but it still sucks. On my Genio e550G it sometimes takes 5 or 6 seconds for my clock or sound bubbles to open after I tap their respective icons. On a PDA 6 seconds seems like forever!
Is that an XScale device?. :lol:

On my iPAQ 3870, I just did an informal timing, and it only took one second to bring up the volume control or time bubble. For reference, I'm running AOL Instant Messenger, Pocket Internet Explorer, Inbox and ActiveSync (my iPAQ is cradled).

Steve

Old 10-29-2002, 11:04 AM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Re: Time to Display Bubbles

Well I followed this informal timing and 've had similar (quite good) performance of about 1 second, with my trusty "bottom of the range" iPAQ 3630. So sometimes newer doesnt always mean better!

Peter

Old 10-29-2002, 01:26 PM
ECOslin
Thinker

I'm going to have to look for some more power management software. My Maestro's low power pop-up comes on near 1 hour before dead and with such poor usage batterylife, its everytime.

Edward