Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Get All Your Email with Gopher King

https://www.gopherking.com/index1.html

No, this isn't the name of a new chain restaraunts that only serve gopher burgers (but wouldn't that be neat :roll. It's a mail server that does, well, a heck of a lot. Some of the features listed on their Web site:

� Broadest Email System Support - we support almost all existing Email systems, MSN (POP Mail and Web Mail), Hotmail, AOL, POP, IMAP, SSL over POP, SSL over IMAP, MS Exchange NTLM, etc.
� Consolidate All Your Email Accounts - access all your Email accounts from a single location, a single login
� Use Your Own Email Address - you can choose to use any of your own Email addresses, and send your Email as if you are in the office
� Always Leave a Copy of Your Emails on Server - you always get a copy of your messages on the Email server, so that your desktop computer and Email client can pick them up later
� No Conflict with Existing Email Clients - you can use Gopher King and your desktop computer and Email client (like Eudora and Outlook), and there is no conflict whatsoever
� Advanced Email Features - out Smart Spam Filter intercepts spam messages before they reach your mobile device, send notifications to your cell phones when you receive new messages at any one of your Email addresses
� Complete Mobile Device Support - works all mobile devices, Palm, Handspring, Sony, Pocket PC, WAP-enabled cell phones (Motorola, Nextel, Ericsson, Nokia), PDA-phone combinations (Treo, Samsung, Kyocera), NTT DoCoMo devices, Psion, any PC/Macintosh, any OS, any browser, and more
� Preview Attachments - preview MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint files, Adobe Acrobat files (PDF), Postscript files, any picture

Problem is, I can't seem to find any screen shots of the interface on the Pocket PC - anyone tried this service yet? Any thoughts on it?

Old 10-18-2002, 01:45 AM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Gopher King

I'd like to see screenshots too and from someone who has tried it on T-Mobile. I bought the T-Mobile because it said I could use my own ISP. From what I've gotten so far from tech support is that they want me to sign up with them with a GPRS account.

I've configured and reconfigured the settings and still have not been able to receive mail or connect to the internet (after a month!). I've tried nPop and had no better success with that. I've read there is a program called @Mail on the way. I've been waiting for that. So please, anyone who uses this successfully let me know. Thanks. :evil:

Old 10-18-2002, 01:53 AM
tj21
Pupil

Does T-mobile offer data connections without GPRS? I know Cingular and AT&T don't. Even if you want to use the phone as a dial-up to your ISP you have to have data activated on your GSM account. I believe they require you to still sign up for a GPRS account before they will activate any data connections through your phone. Are you able to connect via dial-up to anything?

TJ

Old 10-18-2002, 02:09 AM
butch
Intellectual

i'm not sure, but I think they offer a service that download all your e-mails into their servers and after, you just have to connect to their servers and get all your mail... so just open your mail program and you have your screenshot...

again.... it could be something I didn't understand well since English is not my primary language!

Old 10-18-2002, 02:18 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21
Does T-mobile offer data connections without GPRS? I know Cingular and AT&T don't. Even if you want to use the phone as a dial-up to your ISP you have to have data activated on your GSM account. I believe they require you to still sign up for a GPRS account before they will activate any data connections through your phone. Are you able to connect via dial-up to anything?
T-Mobile does still have dial-up (circuit switched dialup via an "ISDN number"), but getting it activated without GPRS on your plan is a royal pain. The latest rumors have it that you can either (a) find a support person who knows what they're talking about; or (b) sign up for GPRS and drop it shortly thereafter (apparently CSD will still be active). In any case, I have GPRS but occasionally still use dial-up when I'm having trouble with GPRS -- although T-Mobile's GPRS has gotten very stable as of late.

Of course, long-term, who knows?

--bdj

Old 10-18-2002, 03:50 AM
thumber
Neophyte
Default [b]Simple but Great![/b]

I have been using it for nearly a month now and I access it using a web-browser. The webpage is pretty basic - all text - so there's nothing much to shout about the interface. But, it really does what it says and more.

If you have an email address for your phone you can use their email to SMS feature. It'll check your email box/es and send you an SMS to say that you've got mail! Almost like a Blackberry.

If you have AvantGo, it will even sync it to your PDA for offline viewing. I think it's one of the simplest yet most sophisticated mobile office system out there. Beats most of the 'big boys' systems.

The service could do with some re-branding and marketing. GopherKing is just so goober but I rather that than some fancy marketing poor products.

Old 10-18-2002, 05:47 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Gopher King

Thanks for all your replies. I agree with Big Daddy (if you can find a support person who knows what they're talking about). I lost a stylus and called to see where I could get another one (it ships with an extra but I always want a spare) and the support person didn't know what a stylus was. DUH!