Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Back Home in Calgary

I just got back from Seattle an hour ago, and boy does it feel good to be home! I love Seattle, I really do, but the traffic there really sucks - it took us almost 90 minutes to get back to our hotel when the normal trip in non-rush hour traffic takes 20 minutes. Ugly!

And by the way, tomorrow I'm going to put together a little report on the Viewsonic V35 with some pictures I took - let me just say this much: for $249, there is no other Pocket PC I'd recommend more. Even without doing any hard core benchmarks on it, I can say that it felt fast, had a backlit transflective screen that looked just as lovely as the iPAQ 3900 series, and the V35 felt so light I thought it was a mock up. This isn't a "power user" Pocket PC with everything under the sun, but with 64 MB of RAM and a true SDIO slot (yes, I confirmed this), the V35 kicks the crap out of the Toshiba e310 and every other low-cost Pocket PC on the market.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:04 AM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Sounds Sweet...

Sounds awesome, but i am waiting for a great pocket pc phone with a 400mhz processor. then i will drop about 6-8 hundred on it. But i am loving how much cheaper and more affordable all of this stuff is getting. Soon you will be able to get a great pocket pc for the price of a gameboy. WOooohoo.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:31 AM
kagayaki1
Thinker

Just noticed it shows "1 replies" on the home page when one person has posted. Any way to change the tense?

Look, I've gone and messed that up!

Lovely weather here in Seattle, huh? It's been SOOOOOO nice the past month...very strange.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:53 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

Do any of the new Pocket PCs have a Jornada-like flip-up screen cover? That's the only thing holding me back.

Old 10-15-2002, 09:06 AM
st63z
Philosopher

Just got back from Greensboro/High Point, NC myself. Had missed my connecting flights (had to spend a night in Atlanta), a real pain let me tell you

I can't wait for the pics showing the screen!!

Old 10-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

Bbarker, what's so great about the flip up covers? I've got a Jornada, and it can be a pain. Looks spiffy, granted... but not very practical. I can see liking it and all, but, the only thing holding you back?

Old 10-15-2002, 10:08 AM
FredMurphy
Thinker

The flip-up cover is THE most practical thing about the Jornada. It doesn't need a bulky case and you can chuck it in a pocket/bag without worrying about screen damage!

That, and the fact that using CF for expansion means no need for any jacket that doubles it's size.

I'll probably keep it until a CE.NET device with a flip cover comes out. Could be a long wait.....

Fred

Old 10-15-2002, 10:11 AM
enemy2k2
Theorist
Default Can't wait for this!

Hello all! This is the unit that's going to make me a convert to the Pocket PC world. I had always wanted the power and advanced capabilities of one of these units but wasn't willing to put up with the cost of uncertanty associated with the OS and hardware - what with all the software and hardware upgrades that had taken places over the last few years. I'm going to sell my Diamond Mako ASAP. Hi-Res full colour backlit display here I come! Nethack on that display would be sweet. Not to mention the power to run emulators at tolerable speeds It will be a lot lighter on my pocket as well, carrying the Mako with a cell phone made it feel and look as though my pants were about to rupture! I'm hoping this will serve me well for about two years, then we'll see about one those PPC Phone Editions :wink: Hopefully they'll have shrunk down to about this size by then too!

Old 10-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Ce
Ponderer

...and this time I hope Viewsonic (and Dell) keeps these low prices not only for US customers. I've had it with all those manufacturers who offer discount prices in the US but maintain very...very high prices outside the US.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

As they said to all the Mobius attendees.

"Dude, Yur gettin a ViewSonic!"