Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default End User Update 3 Coming Soon

EUU3, the third service pack for the Pocket PC, has been released by Microsoft to the various OEMs. A timeline for release aren't known at this time - most OEMs have to customize certain elements (typically drivers), but based on the timeline for EUU2, we should see OEMs releasing this in November. What does EUU3 add? The biggest addition is Windows Media Player 8.5, and it brings 9 Series Windows Media support with it. I've been told there are performance improvements (I believe in the form of Xscale optimizations), play list management improvements, and integration with Connection Manager. Pocket Internet Explorer now supports moving form fields using the Tab key, and the new default theme is "Bliss". There are also a "bunch of new fixes" that I have no further details on.

I'm most excited about the Windows Media Player 8.5 release - previously code-named "Salsa", the support for 9 Series Windows Media comes in advance of the 9 Series tools being finalized. If you've used the 9 Series Media Encoder (make sure System Restore is turned on before install!), you'll see that it has Pocket PC templates included. If memory serves, there are two new templates - one for the standard-sized playback window, and one for landscape 320 x 240. That's right - true full screen. The bit rate of the full screen files are around 250 Kbps, so the quality of the video is decent, but not spectacular. Once it's released I'll do some testing with the encoder to see what kind of limits there are. I find it strange that in the encoder there's no differentiation between an Xscale Pocket PC at 400 mHZ and a StrongARM unit at 206 mHZ.

Old 10-12-2002, 05:18 PM
DualShock
Pupil
Default hmmm

Hey Jason, any idea how WMP 8.5 will work for us 36xx iPAQ users that upgraded to Pocket PC 2002? Since WMP is a RAM install, that part of the EUU will probably be disabled. Any word if there will be a RAM upgrade for WMP available for download?

Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
airconvent
Ponderer

Hi Jason,
I've had no problems playing videos or wma files on my pda, so an upgrade to wm9 seems redundant.

What is probably more important as we go wireless is for MS to update their Pocket IE to at least version 5. My friends connecting on GPRS reported many sites unable to be displayed at all due to the ver 3.0 currently on all pocket pcs.

Also, the connection setup is way too complicated as compared with PPC2000. I would like to see an option to revert to that mode for low power users like myself. i.e. setting up a modem connection, with proxy, IE options set from IE itself.

Of course, if they can provide html support for inbox, then i would stop seeing those irritating : "Unsupported Text removed from message" and actually seeing my mails!

And yeah...bring back the PPC2000 repeating alarms! I'll rather use back the built in alarms like in my old 548 than have to resort to a third party program like what I am doing now for my 568.

I think alot of people would be thankful if MS could also provide an pocket outlook express suite allowing you to sync newsgroups and outlook express mails with the default program in windows instead of needing to install Outlook 2002 (which ALL my friends find a pain in the XXX due to the inflexible registration process).

...i guess this looks more like the works of a new version rather than a service pack...sigh...

RSKT

Old 10-12-2002, 05:42 PM
KyleC
Intellectual
Default Do I need EUU2 first?

I heard that EUU2 for the Toshiba e310 has just been released, but do I need it downloaded and installed before I download/install EUU3? Do I need then both? I'm new at Pocket PCs (from Palm) so I don't know much about these things, but I bet someone cruising the boards does! :wink:

Old 10-12-2002, 05:46 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Damn you Jason for taunting us about supposed XScale optimizations! :P[/quote]

Old 10-12-2002, 05:57 PM
WillyG
Intellectual
Default Woo excelent!

Great news. I hope the optimization is implemented in more than just WIMP. Oboy have we been waiting for this one!
Ill aim my cannon at Fijutsu Siemens now. (im a proud LOOX user) Gotta make sure they work fast enough and get that update out :lol:

Old 10-12-2002, 06:29 PM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

Well, it seems Toshiba has already started shipping retail units with EUU3 on them.

The reason for the fast action probably being that they wanted to get the ROM update they'd be working on out there as well.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...290#post388290

Old 10-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Jerome Carney
Pupil
Default Re: End User Update 3 Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Pocket Internet Explorer now supports moving form fields using the Tab key..
I think you may be referring to a new tab interface... I found this posted over on the PocketPC Passion discussion board: "Another much desired feature is the adding of tabs to Pocket Internet Explorer, allowing different websites to be accessd simultaneously" (source: InfoSync.no).

Old 10-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I am cautiously optimistic that us iPaq 3600 users who upgraded to PocketPC 2002 will be able to obtain some sort of Media Player update.. or else I'll have to take the plunge and buy the iPaq 39xx, even though I really want the 5000 series that i rumored to be coming out in a few months.

What's a pocket pc lover to do?

Jason ... good work on the reports from the field... keep us informed!

Thanks...

Old 10-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Do I need EUU2 first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC
I heard that EUU2 for the Toshiba e310 has just been released, but do I need it downloaded and installed before I download/install EUU3? Do I need then both? I'm new at Pocket PCs (from Palm) so I don't know much about these things, but I bet someone cruising the boards does! :wink:
EUUs are like Service Packs for Windows. They are cumulative, so you can install EUU3 on any PPC 2002 device and you will be brought current on EUUs. Gets a bit hairy when you throw ROM updates from OEMs that rebuild the whole device. :?