Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Slides from the Dell PPC PowerPoint Presentation

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=896

We dropped the ball and should have posted on this sooner, but if you haven't already seen the infamous Dell PowerPoint slide decks from PDAFrance (they've since been pulled at Dell's request), go check out this article on BargainPDA.com.

Just for the record, here's the important points:

� 6.5 Ounces
� 4.10" x 3.5" x .7"
� 240 x 320 pixels
� 64MB on board RAM
� CF and SD slots
� MP3 player, speaker and stereo jack outputs
� 1440 mAH Lithium Ion battery (3400 mAH optional)
� USB Cradle
� Jog dial
� Silver body with ruberized edges

Old 10-10-2002, 08:15 AM
normaldude
Ponderer

The Powerpoint slide says: 5.1" x 3.2" x 0.7"

NOT: 4.10" x 3.5" x .7"

Old 10-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Hey normaldude, The Pocket Solution is going to have Flip covers available Oct. 15th for most PPCs http://www.thepocketsolution.com/buynow.htm

And as far as the Dell specs go, that's the PDA i've been looking for! My iPaq 3950 is nice an all but the sleeve thing is annoying. :evil: Who cares if it is .6" thick if you have to have a great hulking sleeve on it to get a little extra power and a CF slot? If the Dell truly has a Transflective screen then I'll have one as soon as they come out!

Old 10-10-2002, 09:31 AM
WillyG
Intellectual
Default Re: Slides from the Dell PPC PowerPoint Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Im glad they implement a serious battery in it.
Taking "shortcuts" like Toshiba does with their 1000mAh batteries in their E310 and 740 models doesnt excactly maximize the user experience

This will fit right in with other popular models like the iPAQ3970 (1400 mAh) and LOOX 600 (1520 mAh)

Old 10-10-2002, 09:46 AM
normaldude
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslixtis
Hey normaldude, The Pocket Solution is going to have Flip covers available Oct. 15th for most PPCs
Dude, I've been following Miked's project for several months now. I seriously thought we would have them in hand back in June. I literally visited his website several times a day over the course of several months. I was going insane. It was always "2 weeks away".

I finally gave up and attached a ParallelDesign clear flip cover to my Toshiba e310. You can read what I did here:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...threadid=61530

Old 10-10-2002, 10:22 AM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Very cool. Unfortunately, I have that idiotic sleeve thing by Compaq. Which to tie this back into the thread is why...I'm getting a Dell.

The only reason I bought the iPaq 3950 was that I had such a great experience with HP tech support for the Jornada, they cross shipped 6 Jornada 568s because of dust without a single problem or question. I bought the iPaq 3950 and it had 2 burnt out pixels right out of the box! Not something I expect from a $649 PDA! I called their support and they sent me a box, I shipped my baby back to them and they looked at it put it back in the box and said that the burnt out pixels didn't merit replacement and shiped it right back to me with no explanation or anything, I called and asked why they didn't fix it and was told that the tech at the shop has the final say. I wrote to their customer satisfaction department and was ignored. The New HP can kiss my A**.

Now, I'm getting a Dell! If that little conversion for a flip cover works for the Dell or The Pocket Solution actually makes one and sells it :wink:
I'll be set. And with the 3400mAh Extended Battery, WOW.

Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Slides from the Dell PPC PowerPoint Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
We dropped the ball and should have posted on this sooner, but if you haven't already seen the infamous Dell PowerPoint slide decks from PDAFrance (they've since been pulled at Dell's request), go check out this article on BargainPDA.com.

Just for the record, here's the important points:

� 6.5 Ounces
� 4.10" x 3.5" x .7"
� 240 x 320 pixels
� 64MB on board RAM
� CF and SD slots
� MP3 player, speaker and stereo jack outputs
� USB Cradle
� Jog dial
� Silver body with ruberized edges
One thing that wasn't mentioned was that these specs were for the $299 model. The $199 model will apparently only have 32 MB RAM (which seems reasonable to me).

Also, the ROM is 48 MB for the $299 model and 32 MB for the $199 model.

Finally, in a move gamers won't like, the directional pad is "five-way". That implies it won't support diagonals.

Steve

Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 PM
ECOslin
Thinker

Hmm, Pocket PC 2002 Premium.

Special, unleaded, regular, diesel.

The physical design doesn't sound much different from my Maestro except for battery and processor. 5 way nav button .

I'm not much for streamline shapes, though. I like block shapes. I like survivable when dropped, too.

The prices that have been thrown around sound great.

Edward

Old 10-10-2002, 12:36 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOslin
It's about time for a refresh isn't it!

Old 10-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOslin
It's about time for a refresh isn't it!
You all have Pocket PC 2002 Premium. AFAIK, the only other version is Pocket PC 2002 Professional which is missing things like Reader or Windows media Player, primarily for rugged and industrial devices from Symbol or Intermec.