Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell confirms Pocket PC plans...sort of.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105759,tk,dn100802X,00.asp

Not much terribly exciting here, but at least Dell has publicly confirmed they will be making a Pocket PC.

"Details of Dell's plans to offer a handheld device have slipped out on a rumor Web site in France, although the vendor is confirming the reports along with squelching them. According to information on PDAFrance.com, Dell's handheld will run Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system and use 300MHz and 400MHz Xscale processors from Intel. The device will also include slots for CompactFlash and Secure Digital cards.

The Web site also posted images and internal Dell documents that provide details about the company's yet-to-be-unveiled handheld. Dell representatives on Tuesday confirmed the authenticity of the documents, although company spokesperson Jess Blackburn said the product specifications revealed online are not final."

Old 10-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Toshiba could have a run for its money if the e330 is introduced at a low price in competition with the Dell's.

The Dell specs kind of sound like an imporved Maestro (for the most part). The Maestro turned out to be one killer product when its priced dropped and since these will start out at about that same low price...

Old 10-10-2002, 09:17 AM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

At $199 and $299, I'll buy one just to see what it's like. I've been upgrading about every 6-9 months anyway and usually at a substantially higher price than that. :lol:

All I want for Christmas is a Dell with Dual slots, 400Mhz Xscale, 48Mb ROM, 64Mb RAM, Transflective screen and a 3400mAh Extended battery! :wink: And best of all, no more bloody sleeve!

Old 10-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslixtis
At $199 and $299, I'll buy one just to see what it's like. I've been upgrading about every 6-9 months anyway and usually at a substantially higher price than that. :lol:

All I want for Christmas is a Dell with Dual slots, 400Mhz Xscale, 48Mb ROM, 64Mb RAM, Transflective screen and a 3400mAh Extended battery! :wink: And best of all, no more bloody sleeve!
Heck - at that price I'll have two :lol: :wink:

Old 10-10-2002, 03:25 PM
jmulder
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder

Quote:
I've been upgrading about every 6-9 months anyway
This is a good point. With the introduction of the Dell PPC's, has the market become commoditized or have PPC's become "disposable" (after 6-12 months)? Would you prefer to buy a lower-end expandable PPC for $200-300 and replace it every 6-12 months, or would you spend $750 for a less expandable model with more inherent functionality that you expect to keep for 2-3 years (keeping in mind the ever-changing technology)?

I'm inclined to the former, but that's just me...

-Jim

Old 10-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulder
Quote:
I've been upgrading about every 6-9 months anyway
that you expect to keep for 2-3 years (keeping in mind the ever-changing technology)?

-Jim
I expect to buy one higher end model for myself and work. It needs dual slots and more reliability.

But, I expect to buy several for kids and wife. They can be smaller and cheaper. The nice deal with the Dell is that they have both models (although Toshiba has nailed it a little better with the size.) AND they will surely both be able to share all peripherals. Keyboards, memory cards, games, what-have-you will be easy to share and such would be nice to share.

Hope these work as well as Dell desktops.