Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-10-2002, 12:18 AM
st63z
Philosopher

Will the 5400 retain existing sleeve compatibility?

Oh, and it's PPC 2002, right?

normaldude
Ponderer

In the future, I hope that manufacturers allow consumers to "custom order" their Pocket PCs.. like how you can build your own Dell laptop. There are some integrated features that I want (Bluetooth), and some I don't care for (802.11b). And some people might more RAM, and some might not need as much.

Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

It is quite a bit easier to build a PC then a Pocket PC because of the simple expansion systems. In a way that is what a CF or SD card slot is for...you to customize your device. I hope the HP will release many products at once with different specs so users will have a choice and will almost be able to buy a "custom" device.

...PPC Tech's are always there for your RAM upgrades!!

Dave Conger
Sage

The following specs are listed on the manual included in the FCC report for the 5400 series:

Intel XScale 400MHz processor
64mb of RAM (or greater)
32mb of ROM (or greater)
SDIO SD slot
Transflective TFT 16-bit color screen (.24 dot pitch)
Speaker
3.5mm headphone/microphone jack (on bottom)
IrDA (Universal Remote Support)
Bluetooth (1.6dBm, some models)
WLAN (16dBm)
Figerprint scanner
Removable Lithium battery
5.23" (5.43" with antenna) x 3.30" x 0.63"
7.26 oz

Dave Conger
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude
Ugh. It's a brick.
Mmmm, it is just about the same size as a 3900....which I don't consider to be a brick really....but brickness is relative.

Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P
Default dell

btw, has this been posted? sorry if I am double posting.

source: http://www.mobigeeks.net

Dave Conger
Sage

Quote:
Remember: these are supposed to be POCKET PCs, not Briefcase PCs or Belt Clip PCs....
Thanks I remember....And I carry my iPAQ in my pocket...fits just fine.

Dave Conger
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagayaki1
Finding the manuals is my favorite part!!! It usually confirms and denies rumors better than anything else.
Though in this case the manual only confirms minimum specs for the series. There still could be models with more memory. Though I do agree, the manuals tend have the most information.

Dave Conger
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagayaki1
Fine fits great in my back pocket, with my SS2 + cover on it...it also depends on how big the pockets in your pants are...
I don't know, less then 3/4 of an inch just doesn't seem all that thick. It always seems to fit fine in my front pocket. I think it is more the width of the product that varies this then the thickness since few devices exceed the thickness of an iPAQ or Jornada. The iPAQ's sleek design makes it fit better in my pocket then say a Toshiba e550G. (If you or anyone wants to continue a size discussion PM or email me...or run into me on campus...)

Anyways, back to the 5400....these specs of the base model just don't get me that exceited. I hope the price is right on this device. I would assume from the manual the finger print scanner will be on all 5400's (since it doesn't say optional). That would be one of the things that actually does get me excited about this. It could really change how we protect our data in our Pocket PC's, especially if it appears in a wide range of iPAQ products.

st63z
Philosopher

Quote:
I carry mine in my front jeans pockets all the time along with my keys, wallet, pen, coins, cellphone, etc.
My gawd man, what kind of JEANS do you wear?!? 8O

Trying to imagine stuffing my huuge wallet (remember George's wallet in Seinfeld?), pens/pencils, cellphone, iPAQ, compact digicam, headphones, BT headset, and my big ol' keyring (with Cruzer, alarm fob, LED flashlight, 6+ keys -- had to move swiss army knife, laser pointer, various USB dongles, and other stuff to a second keyring).. all in one of my front jeans pockets. And how about when I have to bring my portable HDD too (Archos MiniHD or Jukebox Multimedia, or Addonics Pocket ExDrive), huh? Ugh, the crunching pain just thinking it...

There's like (in order of size) my jeans, regular twill/dress pants, Docker Mobile Pants, then my huge cargo pants. The less space, the more you have to prioritize.