Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 Wireless Network Card

One of our affiliate partners, Dream Pages, told us about this new Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, and if you're looking for a single high-speed CDMA2000 card to do both voice and data, for both your laptop and Pocket PC, this looks like a potentially killer solution. Check out those data rates - rrrow!

"The Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 wireless network card is a single band wireless PC Card for the Sprint PCS network, providing users with seamless wireless Internet connectivity, connecting notebook or handheld devices at increased speeds. Designed for users in the field or on the road, the Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 will offer wireless freedom and mobility with high-speed connectivity at data speeds consistently between 40 and 60 kbps, and up to 153.6 kbps. The AirCard 550 will allow mobile users to roam in North America on the Sprint PCS network and will provide seamless support with the operating system of your device -- providing faster throughput, reducing battery drain, and managing �sleep� mode - making it simple and easy for a wireless connection."

UPDATE: Slight snafu, this product is not available for purchase at this time through Dream Pages. Sorry about that!

Old 09-20-2002, 05:14 PM
tonyv
Pupil
Default Yawn

I routinely got over 200 kbps with Richocet, and find it extreemly difficult to get excited over anything slower.

Old 09-20-2002, 05:30 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual
Default Re: Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 Wireless Network Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
http://www.dpcomputerstore.com/product.asp?pf_id=SPR%2DAC550&dept_id=18-004-003&aff=pocketpcthoughts

One of our affiliate partners, Dream Pages, told us about this new Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, and if you're looking for a single high-speed CDMA2000 card to do both voice and data, for both your laptop and Pocket PC, this looks like a potentially killer solution. Check out those data rates - rrrow!
Jason,
I would purchase the Aircard 555 as opposed to the 550. You should still be able to use it with Sprint, but you also get some more options as it is 900mhz as well as 1900mhz.
I had the opportunity to use the 555 on Telus' network before they had released 1X for general public consumption and it was fast (faster than my GPRS), but I haven't gone back to test it out now that the netwrok has some more users on it to see if the speeds are holding.
One thing is for sure, you get a much wider coverage area with 1X in North America ... at least for now

Old 09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
dreampages
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to dreampages

The AirCard 555 will not work on Sprint's network. It only works on Verizon's network. The modems also have carrier proprietary code and each carrier will only activate modems with their own ESN on them.

Larry

Old 09-20-2002, 05:53 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Just one more reason to go with a GPRS modem ... pop out one SIM and pop in another one. :P
I didn't realize that they had begun to lock the Aircards. The old Aircard 510's and 300's my company used could be interchanged between providers and I don't see why they wouldn't continue that. AFAIK, there is no subsidy place in these cards (not yet anyways), and there is nothing carrier specific about the fequesncies. One thing however may be that there is carrier fine tuned firmware, but all of these have flashable firmware so that becomes a non-issue.

Old 09-20-2002, 06:01 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Don't get me wrong....this looks like a great card. BUT, Sierra Wireless is also coming out with a CF version with voice and data capabilities, for use in PocketPC and laptops as well. Now that would be the card to get! No ETA on it though, huh?

-Brian

Old 09-20-2002, 06:52 PM
Barak
Ponderer

As a Sprint PCS user and Casio E-200 owner, could I use this with my pc sleeve???

Anyone know approx. cost and are there "hidden fees"?

I am using a socket DPC CF modem that connects to my Sprint Phone and is painfully slow (14.4).

This looks like a huge upgrade.

Old 09-20-2002, 07:49 PM
splintercell
Ponderer

Hmm, Sprint. If I wanted to pick a provider that has spotty coverage, I'd at least go with VoiceStream, they're cooler overall. Wait, no I wouldn't. I'd just stick with Verizon, have coverage where I need it, and still surf online faster than the glitzy GPRS phones can. :wink:

Old 09-20-2002, 08:10 PM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintercell
Hmm, Sprint. If I wanted to pick a provider that has spotty coverage, I'd at least go with VoiceStream, they're cooler overall. Wait, no I wouldn't. I'd just stick with Verizon, have coverage where I need it, and still surf online faster than the glitzy GPRS phones can. :wink:
I agree with you that Verizon has great coverage, but I'm not sure I would ever sign up to the 1X plans they have. You are paying $100/month for unlimited data at a rate of 40-60kbps on average. I get this with my GPRS modem right now and I have to only pay CDN $50/month :lol:
I did a quick look online and I have to say that we have some AWESOME data prices here in Canada ... for now anyways 8)

Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 PM
splintercell
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpete
I agree with you that Verizon has great coverage, but I'm not sure I would ever sign up to the 1X plans they have. You are paying $100/month for unlimited data at a rate of 40-60kbps on average. I get this with my GPRS modem right now and I have to only pay CDN $50/month :lol:
Well, I wouldn't sign up to pay $99 a month either. I have a per-MB plan that so far works out fine. Between Wi-Fi at work and at home, and satisfactory access to news/weather/movies/entertainment from my phone's browser, I rarely need 1xRTT speeds on the road. For a quick web search 14.4 is frequently enough, and that's free.