Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default A Great Way To Keep Track Of Your GPRS Usage

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=43793

If you're looking for a way to monitor how much data you send and receive with your wireless Pocket PC, the new GPRS Monitor from Spb Software House is just the tool for you.

"Spb GPRS Monitor is a complete solution for measuring the amounts of data transfers via your GPRS, WiFi, CDMA or GSM network connection and calculating network usage costs. Spb GPRS Monitor watches all data transfers you perform and calculates the cost of your GPRS usage taking into account your service plan details such as inclusive data amount, data block size. etc."

The information displayed includes:

� Amount of data transferred today and its cost
� Current GPRS data block usage
� Current data connection speed
� Suggested daily inclusive
� This month's inclusive left

A bunch of us Microsoft MVPs have had the opportunity to try out this software, and the overwhelming response is that it is one piece of very useful, very well-written software. It can be used with all types of Pocket PC 2002 devices, but if you happen to have a Pocket PC Phone Edition, this is a must-have application.

If you'd like to read a bit more about it, Arne Hess has written a detailed description at his PPCW.net site.

Old 09-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Very very cool software. You do communication with your PPC Phone or PPC and cell phone combo, this is must have software.

Question though - what is a GPRS BLOCK?

Old 09-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Hank Scorpio
Ponderer
Default backlight

does this software allow you to adjust the tmobiles backlight settings, cause I thought that was a complaint to alot of people had that that wasn't accessable?

Old 09-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

Quote:
does this software allow you to adjust the tmobiles backlight settings?
Nope, it's still either "off" or "on" - there's nothing in between.

Old 09-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Leon
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Question though - what is a GPRS BLOCK?
A block is a certain number of MB or KB. You might have a subscription where the first 5 MB block is 'free'. If you pass that limit additional (often higher) charges apply for every block of 10 KB, 100 KB, 1 MB etc. depending on your telecom provider.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:09 PM
avoglio
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to avoglio

Some small bugs for the ipaq 3970 inside (taping battery opens the audio settings) but in general it works great and is a huge help. Must Have ! 8)

Old 09-17-2002, 07:35 PM
QYV
Intellectual

Please forgive a stupid question, but this utility is useless if I am using a CDMA connection rather than GPRS, correct? Does anyone know of a comperable product for CDMA connection monitoring?

Old 09-17-2002, 08:14 PM
splintercell
Ponderer

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know of any equivalent that would run on Windows XP? I recently upgraded my phone to the Samsung a310, and signed up for Verizon's 1xRTT network, with a per-MB usage plan, and would love to have detailed stats like that for the PC. The Verizon utility has a session log with totals, but I'd need some Excel importing/scripting/charting things done, and I am a little too lazy for that as of now :wink:

Old 09-17-2002, 08:17 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

I'm thinking that you should be able to use this with CDMA too. It shouldn't matter what underlying network is being used, because it is keeping track of the data which is IP traffic that runs across GPRS or CDMA data connections.

You can configure this monitoring program to monitor any connection created in Connection Manager. That could be a analog dial-up connection, or a CDMA. Where you might run in to problems is its translation of costs, but if it reports your real data usage you can probably do the cost calculations yourself.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 PM
Leon
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoglio
Some small bugs for the ipaq 3970 inside (taping battery opens the audio settings)...
I'm not convinced it's a bug in the application: Battery Bar has the exact same problem on my 3970. Probably a 39xx issue.