Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-10-2002, 05:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why I don't believe those pictures are a 5000-series iPAQ

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3390

While I don't belive the pictures someone posted on Brighthand are fake per se, I'm not convinced they are the 5000 series iPAQ. There are three series of iPAQ coming down the pipe that we know about: the 2000 series (low-cost), the 4000 series (mid-range), and the 5000 series (high-end). The 4000 series will maintain the current form factor and be compatible with the current crop of sleeves to keep Compaq's promise that the iPAQ would be sleeve-compatible for "x" years. But the 5000 series...I think that series of devices will be the one to break the form-factor. It should have Wifi and phone support built-in, but I'm not convinced it will look like the current crop of iPAQs. If they integrate some of the best features from the Jornada, it will look like a mix of the two.

This is just a guess - I have no facts to substantiate it, but I think the photos shown yesterday were of a 4000 series iPAQ, not the 5000. In a few months we'll see if I hit the mark or not...

Old 09-10-2002, 05:13 PM
dbrahms
Intellectual
Default Need XScale support first

compaq/hp needs to develop full XScale support for the current series of devices available first! New OS, new apps etc...

Old 09-10-2002, 05:18 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Your view makes more sense with the info we had 3 months ago, but what if HP scotched all that? I think these reports complete with photos from multiple sources show that they did drop those plans. I would have preferred to see a Jornada (if I were going to buy a PPC as my main PDA at all. I'm not.) with an MMC slot added and the screen from the Ipaq 3900. Bluetooth or WiFi built-in would have made it a very current top end model. But, HP is selling a few Jornada phones and then dropping the whole thing. They are cutting back on Ipaqs plans to make some money as they are not making money on either their Compaq nor their HP desktop consumer lines.

Perhaps when HP said they would incorporate the best of both the Jornada and Ipaq lines, they meant that they would drop all sorts of plans for the Ipaq and abandon the Jornada altogether to make more money.

This is just my view, but if I am right (and the news this week implies this); they dropped the 5000 plans and will call the 4000 series a 5000.

So, what if they modify their 2000 series plans the same way? They could have a 2000 model that looks and runs like a stripped down 3700 series. A few new buttons, a cheaper screen and 32 meg to cut cost. Leave the sleeve out of the box and hope to make a little money selling it separately....and leave the customer with a PDA that HP would make money on, but the customer would never buy again.

That would be bad. I really hope that doesn't happen and I think that Toshiba and Dell would have a happy, happy Christmas if it does. The fact that Toshiba is really selling the E310s cheap, makes me think that the 2000 is better than I suggest, and Toshiba is afraid to have a bunch of them left in stock once the Ipaq 2000 comes out.

The good scenario is that the new 2000 has a nice transflective screen, 64 meg, dual expansion slots built in, still accepts sleeves, has bluetooth standard, and the new low power X-scale matched to a 3000A battery for 1 month between charges...........Someday!

Old 09-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Merlion
Ponderer

From the posts there, I'm inclined to believe that it's a 5000 series model. Although it's probably only a prototype, I think the final version will maintain the current iPaq form factor. Since the antenna is already there for a built-in phone, I don't think it's a 4000 model. I'm thinking that the 4000 series, if it ever materialized, will be without a built-in phone function. The top-of-the-line 5000 series is supposed to include fingerprint-recognition biometric security models, which is supposed to be integrated on that pre-production model later.

Just my take ..

Old 09-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

I think the fact that HP has yet to ask these sites to remove these picts is a somewhat good indication that:
1. Either this is a prototype that isn't going to be released.
2. Its a fake.

I think with competition rising from the likes of Toshiba and to a lesser extent the Loox that HP would be one to hold their cards not close to the chest but locked in some vault, a mote around it, attack dogs, and an electrified fence.

Old 09-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Quote:
dbrahms Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:13 am Post subject: Need XScale support first

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

compaq/hp needs to develop full XScale support for the current series of devices available first! New OS, new apps etc...
While I agree they need XScale support, It wouldn't be a PPC if HP wrote the OS, now would it? That would be MS's job, so as long as HP has flashable ROM any XScale will be instantly optimizable as soon as Microsoft gets off it's collective a** and does it's job :evil:

Now back to the subject at hand :lol: After all the debate yesterday, I'm going to state my completely unfounded opinion that the pictures are of an old test model from the transition from the 37xx series to the 38xx series :wink: That's why no one can agree which series the form factor is based on! And HP is going to come to market with a new XScale PDA in Q1 03 That has a built in portrait/landscape feature, 640x480 VGA screen and drop down keyboard for use when in landscape mode! (bsquare PDA/Phone)

Old 09-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I'd go with the view that it's a fake. It does not look like a top-line PDA. I mean - honestly - it's ugly. (And ugly for an IPAQ is saying something :wink.

I really would like to see some pics of the real 5000 however. Any idea on timescales? Are we really looking at a new crop of PPCs for Christmas?

Old 09-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

Perhaps this ugly device IS real, but it is in a case design that was never meant for a shipping product. Auto makers disguise their car designs all the time by modifying the body to make it unrecognizable. Perhaps HP is seeding these demo units to test their technology all the while they have a beautiful case design hidden away for the actual shipping product. That would explain why they aren't freaking out about these pictures.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 09-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Why I don't believe those pictures are a 5000-series iPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
There are three series of iPAQ coming down the pipe that we know about: the 2000 series (low-cost), the 4000 series (mid-range), and the 5000 series (high-end). The 4000 series will maintain the current form factor and be compatible with the current crop of sleeves to keep Compaq's promise that the iPAQ would be sleeve-compatible for "x" years. But the 5000 series...I think that series of devices will be the one to break the form-factor. It should have Wifi and phone support built-in, but I'm not convinced it will look like the current crop of iPAQs. If they integrate some of the best features from the Jornada, it will look like a mix of the two.
I think it depends on timing. I could make a case for the 5000 keeping the sleeves (because so many people have them) or not (because the high-end 5000 has so much in it that you don't need sleeves as much, only CF and SD slots).

However, I think the low-cost 2000 would make a much better candidate to dump the sleeves in. People with current iPAQs (typically mid-range or high-end devices) probably won't go for a low-end Pocket PC, and people buying a low-end Pocket PC may not demand all the expandability of the higher-end devices.

So, if the 5000 does not accept sleeves, I think it will be a matter of which device comes out first to see which iPAQ is the first to eliminate the sleeve design.

Of course, there's one idea I haven't seen anybody suggest. To get a thinner form factor, you probably have to get rid of direct sleeve support. Note the word "direct" there. I don't know if it's possible electrically, but if the cradle could use the current sleeve connector, you could thin the device down by only needing one connector of the bottom of the iPAQ. Then, to allow current sleeves to still work with a thinner iPAQ, you could provide a padding sleeve for the new iPAQs that would fatten it up enough for the arms of the current sleeves to hold.

The only real down-side of this is that you couldn't dock with a sleeve on.

Steve

P.S. If anybody tries to patent this idea after today's date, this is considered prior art. :-)

Old 09-10-2002, 09:54 PM
schergr
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to schergr Send a message via MSN to schergr Send a message via Yahoo to schergr
Default Re: Why I don't believe those pictures are a 5000-series iPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3390

While I don't belive the pictures someone posted on Brighthand are fake per se, I'm not convinced they are the 5000 series iPAQ. There are three series of iPAQ coming down the pipe that we know about: the 2000 series (low-cost), the 4000 series (mid-range), and the 5000 series (high-end). The 4000 series will maintain the current form factor and be compatible with the current crop of sleeves to keep Compaq's promise that the iPAQ would be sleeve-compatible for "x" years. But the 5000 series...I think that series of devices will be the one to break the form-factor. It should have Wifi and phone support built-in, but I'm not convinced it will look like the current crop of iPAQs. If they integrate some of the best features from the Jornada, it will look like a mix of the two.

This is just a guess - I have no facts to substantiate it, but I think the photos shown yesterday were of a 4000 series iPAQ, not the 5000. In a few months we'll see if I hit the mark or not...
From what I've seen and heard, those pictures of the 5000 are pretty accurate (with the exception of the fact that they don't show the thumbprint scanner). I saw a mockup of the device abot 3 or 4 months ago and thats what it looked like. So unless they've made some major changes as a result of the HP deal, which I doubt, than thats probably it or at least very very close.