Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Does BSQUARE's reference design tell the future?

http://www.bsquare.com/news/press/story.asp?PressID=305

BSQUARE is a mobile solutions engineering power house and spans both device development and software design. They have a close relationship with Microsoft's mobile groups. A couple of days ago they published a news release containing an offer to OEMs and carriers containing a handheld reference design. The reference design is built on Intel XScale technology and used the Windows CE .NET operating system. Right off the bat: this is NOT a Pocket PC, this is NOT a Pocket PC, and this is NOT a Pocket PC. Eventually, future releases of the Pocket PC platform will be built on top of Windows CE .NET, but that we happen only when the Pocket PC group is finished building the user interface, applications and so on.

That said, I do think it is interesting to see a company like BSQUARE bring a hardware reference design that features a VGA display, a slide-out retractable QWERTY thumb-type keyboard, dual-band GSM cell phone, and built-in GPRS support, and support for email, SMS and IM. The "400 MHz-64 MB RAM-SD slot-backlit TFT-16 bit-640x480-1900mAh" device weighs 280 grams (9.88 oz) and measures 140mm x 87mm x 19.6mm (5.5� x 3.4� x .77�). A remote device management technology that enables carriers to roll-out new features and applications is included, which reduces "the risk of expensive product recalls by permitting devices to accept remote updates." (Source: Brian)

Does this device contain any fragments of the future of Pocket PCs?

Old 09-06-2002, 09:23 AM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

Hmm, similiar concept as oqo and tiqit but different architecture (CE vs XP, Intel Vs. xscale). Could be very interesting come near the end of the year when/if these things are actually released.

Old 09-06-2002, 12:47 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinux
Hmm, similiar concept as oqo and tiqit but different architecture (CE vs XP, Intel Vs. xscale). Could be very interesting come near the end of the year when/if these things are actually released.
I think the key with OQO is that its a real PC in a pocket form factor. It runs XP not CE. Of course that might be its downfall.

I'm not familiar with the tiqit.

Old 09-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Wow, what a cool Pocket PC.

Yeah, I read. Not a Pocket PC.

So, what will it run? Casio BE-300 software? How would one get a Browser, Word Processor? anything running on it? It's interesting, but Samsung (or some Korean company) already makes a model much like this, I don't see it anywhere on the sales charts.

Interesting. Going nowhere.

Old 09-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

This looks like a purpose built machine that would be sold by compaines like Symbol and Intermec. Also something that carriers might sell to compete with the HipTop Danger, but this will have little/no interest in the PDA market.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:38 PM
TMAN
Ponderer

I would buy that device in a heartbeat.
Current: iPhone, HTC AdvantagePast: 200LX,Newton 120,MP 2100,PalmPilot,Velo1, 620LX,660LX,HP's 680,690,568,REX5000,TriPad,Clio-1050,z50,E-115,E-125,Visor Prism,Aero 2130, iPAQs 3650,3670,3850,3870,5450, Toshiba e740, 128MB iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 5555, Treo 600, Treo 650, PPC-6700

Old 09-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Reference Design? What does that mean? They went nuts with Photoshop and Powerpoint? Or they actually built one?

Old 09-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Reference Design? What does that mean? They went nuts with Photoshop and Powerpoint? Or they actually built one?
It is a prototype with specific feature sets. It exists but isn't ready for production, maybe not even close to production.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:13 PM
PPCRules
Thinker
Default Re: Does BSQUARE's reference design tell the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Does this device contain any fragments of the future of Pocket PCs?
I would like to see PPC developers adopt this sideways keyboard mode.

A keyboard the width of a vertical PDA just isn't big enough. Now one the width of the height of the PDA would be quite comfortable. Plus you have the aspect ratio of a desktop PC, even if kept at quarter-VGA. I think a PPC with this kind of configuration would be an instant hit, and preferable to the mechanical nightmare the Sony NR70 must be.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:36 PM
dochall
Intellectual
Default Re: Does BSQUARE's reference design tell the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
http://www.bsquare.com/news/press/story.asp?PressID=305

dual-band GSM cell phone
no tri band -booooooo.

Very interesting concept though. Great alternative layout to the Sony. The only question is how thick? 3.4 inches see overly chunky to carry all the time.