Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default iPAQ 3970 update

My move from the HP Jornada 565 to the iPAQ Pocket PC 3970 continues. I move software and settings one step at a time, and so far I am very pleased. While I would expect more speed increase from the XScale processor, I must say I am positively surprised. Perhaps that all the debate and discussions I have read and participated in set my expectations low, but this Pocket PC is by far the best performing I have ever used. If I'd pick one feature that really makes this device shine, it is the screen. This is indeed a bright star!

Old 09-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Glad you like it I personally couldn't justify the HUGE price tag of the 3970 with only the screen being a deciding factor (Bluetooth pales in comparison to 802.11b).

So when I went on the search for a PDA, I went with the e740 and the e550g as my final choices and ended up getting the e550g for $599 from CompUSA + free 64MB CF card and free 802.11b CF card.

Other than the screen what else do you like about the device?

Old 09-05-2002, 09:43 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

For over $700 dollars, it had better be! Sorry, but I think HP has alot of nerve charging so much for that device, considering that Toshiba has crammed a lot more into their devices (dual slots, e740 has wiFi, 550g the 4" screen, etc).

For a non-Ipaq user looking to make the switch over to x-scale, the 3900 just doesn't make sense.

Just my .02.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

I finally gave up my Jornada 568 and went with the iPaq 3950. It was all about the screen! What an amazing screen! As far as price goes HP has a $50 Rebate on the 3900 series and $75 worth of software from Handango. And if you buy it online at CompUSA it is only $579 to start with.

With all that said, I must admit I miss the form factor (and HP Task Switcher) of my Jornada :cry: When The Pocket Solution ( http://www.thepocketsolution.com/index.htm ) finally gets their Anodized Aluminium covers ready maybe I'll be happy, that side opening cover sucks :evil: But hey, it's all about the screen anyway, so I guess I'll just deal :wink:

Old 09-05-2002, 10:23 PM
porrello
Neophyte
Default IPAQ 3970

I have had several handheld devices including two Psions, three Palms, and two pocket PC. I have no doubt the IPAQ 3970 is the best machine around. It is not perfect and it is not value for money, but is the best.

Best Screen
Best Performance
Best Infrared
Best software package

and huge expandibility. There is no accesory that you can dream off that is not availablefor the IPAQ.

I run mine with a CF expansion pack with removable battery included. Bough two extra batteries and the wonderfull charger, so I can now safely say I do not worry about running out of power.

I read a lot of complaints but 99% centers around the price. Frankly if you can not afford it do not buy it!

Old 09-05-2002, 10:55 PM
gmelfissg
Pupil
Default people have big pockets

hi to all,

The IPAQ price even it is $579 !!! it is still too expensive for what you get. Sorry but a screen doesn't deserve that much pricing because the important thing is what you can do with it. Yes the IPAQ is expendable but the e740 is also righ now 599$ at compusa + free bluetooth cf card. you can also have for 99$ a vga port and usb port. Also you can have and additional bationnary hook to the pocket pc (3000 amp) and also a pmcia sleeve will be offered shortly plus you can use a cf-pmicia adapter for $25 which work very fine.

So sorry if i disagree but paying that much for a screen, i'll pass the toshiba e-740 is by far the better device (perfromance, value and quality).

Giuseppe Melfi :lol:

[post edited by moderator for niceness]

Old 09-05-2002, 10:56 PM
ojlittle
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ojlittle
Default I love my 3955

I've had a 3955 for about a month & I love it. However, two nights ago it lost my iPAQ file store memory, and now it takes 5 minutes to recover from a hard reset (no exaggeration). My file store memory is gone even after a hard reset.

There is good news though. I contacted HP/Compaq & they said they would send me a box, I'd send it in, they would fix it or replace it. Not bad... It gets better though. A Compaq rep from Texas called today out of the blue & said he had a brand new one at their location & would send me that one, box still factory sealed. It's supposed to be here tomorrow morning. All I have to do is send them the old one at my convenience.......Great customer service.

Wasn't there a problem with some of the older Compaq units losing their file store memory? I know one of the brands did, but I don't remember which.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:25 PM
sponge
Philosopher

I've been considering a 3900 (as I have a 3600 already, plus cf sleeve and case) but can't decide between the e550G and the Zayo.. might go for the Zayo but no CF! ARGH!

So I'm hopelessly stuck right now.. though I think I've ruled out the e550.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:38 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Wasn't there a problem with some of the older Compaq units losing their file store memory? I know one of the brands did, but I don't remember which.
I have had this happen to me on a Jornada 567 and have heard that it also affects Ipaqs. Personally, I think it occurs when the filestore reaches some sort of size limit or when something gets corrupted when writing to that area of memory. Anyways, I don't think it is a device specific (obviously, since it has 2 vendor devices) problem.

Cheers!

Quote:
I read a lot of complaints but 99% centers around the price. Frankly if you can not afford it do not buy it!
Quite frankly, I can afford it but that isn't quite the point now, is it?

Old 09-06-2002, 02:33 AM
cwharper
Neophyte

So, is the Xscale based model any faster? A gentleman at work was saying that even though the processor is twice as fast, something about the way the memory is being accessed actually was twice as slow, so you ended up with the same performance as the older models...