Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Scrabble for the Pocket PC

http://www.handmark.com/products/scrabbleppc/

Handmark has relased Scrabble for the Pocket PC. The game has the following features:

� Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary included. You can install the optional definitions to get the definition of words as they are played.
� Friendly mode - allows words that are outside the standard rules.
� Tournament mode - follows the rules strictly.
� Play against the computer in Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, or Expert mode.
� Play against one, two or three opponents using one device and the Handmark SCRABBLE game will hide your tile rack from your opponents. Play against opponents using multiple devices with IR beaming!

The program comes with a 10 game limit in the trial version. The registered version can be purchased for $29.99 from the Handmark web site. All Pocket PC and Pocket PC 2002 devices are supported.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Fattizzi
Pupil
Default What are they crazy?

Looks like a nice game.....but 30 bucks. Please. You can buy the entire board game for less than that. I think I will stick with Resco's Word Game for half the price and better support.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Umberto
Neophyte

Anyone know what the IR range is for these devices? I own a HP 568, and my girlfriend a Casio E-125, and I'm wondering how far apart we could sit and play via IR. I won't be able to download trial copies and test this out until the weekend. Is there a site that lists the ranges? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberto
Anyone know what the IR range is for these devices? I own a HP 568, and my girlfriend a Casio E-125, and I'm wondering how far apart we could sit and play via IR. I won't be able to download trial copies and test this out until the weekend. Is there a site that lists the ranges? Thanks.
Usually 2-3 feet, maybe a bit more, but not much. I'll be curious to see how long before they have a bluetooth version. :way to go:

Old 09-04-2002, 10:12 PM
dianebrat
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to dianebrat

I'm with the others THIRTY BUCKS?

The very nice Hasbro V2 for PC's is only $19.99

It's sad when something this nice comes out at a crazy price, I just don't pay that much for diversions, and don't get me wrong, this is looking like a very very nice version.

And publishers wonder why people don't buy product,

my rule is under $10us, if I use it I buy it, esp on a PPC, between $10 and $20 it's got to be very good, or usefull to work.

they would have had me up to $9 here, $14 if it had a goodie pack,

<sigh>

Old 09-04-2002, 10:12 PM
fredtskunke
Neophyte

I like Scrabble, but $30? No thanks. I wonder what criteria these companies are using for price-point data?

Old 09-04-2002, 10:30 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtskunke
I like Scrabble, but $30? No thanks. I wonder what criteria these companies are using for price-point data?
Recouping development cost... If they were convinced they could triple sales at a $10 price point, I am sure they would do it.

IR may not be that beneficial, but WiFi support would be. The orientation of IR on some Pocket PC (side on Maestro) does not lend itself to head to head play.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:32 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Most of the price is probably the licence too.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:35 PM
jeff
Intellectual

I paid $30 for the HPC version of Scrabble way back when. It was delivered from Hasbro Interactive in real packaging with a CD and everything. Now it's $30 for just a download? That's tough to swallow.

But I might have actually bought it if I hadn't purchased Word Game a few months ago. With a little patience you can create a duplicate of the Scabble board layout, down to the colors. The only things it lacks are word definitions, pretty graphics, and AI which actually uses strategy instead of always playing the best word.

Jeff

Old 09-04-2002, 10:38 PM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

Nice but way too $$$.