Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-30-2002, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Enough with the blue light already!

I love my bluetooth combo T68 and iPAQ 3870, but enough with the blue light already. There has to be a less obtrusive way to let you know bluetooth is activated. The T68, in fact, has that funky B on the screen. Just leave it at that. The Pocket PC could have that B in the system tray or in the Start bar. I wouldn't mind the blinking light when there is an active connection, in fact, that would be nice.

I cannot stand using my iPAQ with the BT radio stack on. The light is annoying. Tried reading an ebook at night with that thing on? You'll go nuts. Modern day Chinese water torture. I use my T68 for an alarm clock on trips and I have to turn the BT stack off or the retina-burning blue flashing LED will keep me awake. The novelty has worn off OEMs. The LED is fine for active connections, but to have for the sake of having? Why not a red flashing LED for enabled IR? A purple flashing LED for WiFi? We could have different colors for 802.11b (purple) 802.11a (white) and 802.11x (black).

What do you think? Am I the only one constantly turning the BT stacks on and off on my devices to keep from burning my rods and cones out?* It isn't like it's easy turning it on and off either. 3-5 taps on the iPAQ, more if a soft reset is required and about 13 on the T68.<!>

*"Jerry my rods and cones are all screwed up!" - Kramer

Old 08-30-2002, 06:05 PM
kagayaki1
Thinker

LOL, 802.11 with a BLACK LIGHT?

I hear ya, Ed. Keep pushing for less blinking lights!

Old 08-30-2002, 06:15 PM
scottmag
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to scottmag Send a message via MSN to scottmag
Default Re: Enough with the blue light already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I love my bluetooth combo T68 and iPAQ 3870
Are you happy with the T68? I am considering one, with AT&T's new GSM coverage. I like the idea of Bluetooth integration, but I don't really care that much for the phone each time I look at it in a store. I have also read over at howardforums.com about poor reception compared to other phones. What's your experience with it?

Quote:
What do you think?
Well, I think you were already teetering close to the edge. Blinking lights are definitely annoying though. I'd prefer a small strength meter made up of a few tiny LEDs in a row.

Scott

Old 08-30-2002, 06:19 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

You are not alone Ed. At first, the blinking blue light on the T68 was a novelty.....a constant reminder that I was now outfitted with cutting edge wireless PAN technology (i.e. Bluetooth). However, relatively quickly, the flashing Blue light has become really annoying.

Two places in particular where it�s extra annoying for me: A (darkened) movie theater.....seems to always hit my wife in the eye no matter where she sits. AND, driving in the car at night.....the whole car gets lit up in a blue hue every three seconds.....I'm luck a 747 hasn't landed on my car at night :? , just like in that "405" movie going around the internet.

There are a couple differences between us, however:
1) I don't turn off the Bluetooth stack on the T68. To date, I've just "lived" with it.......we'll see how long I can take it....kind of like a techie "Survivor" show :wink:
2) I use an iPaq 3835, and therefore keep a Socket Bluetooth CF card in my iPaq at all times. The benefit of the Socket card is (drum roll please), NO blinking lights what so ever. Indeed, it has the "funky B logo" in the taskbar of the Pocket PC OS to indicate whether the Bluetooth stack is loaded or not.

Also, don't forget about the blinking green light on the T68 when you're in a GSM covered area....or is there a way to turn that one off?

Oh well......the things we put up with to be connected......we're like walking Christmas trees

-Brian

Old 08-30-2002, 06:35 PM
T-Will
Sage

Just take a black marker and color over the LED.

Old 08-30-2002, 06:36 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: Enough with the blue light already!

Quote:
I use my T68 for an alarm clock on trips and I have to turn the BT stack off or the retina-burning blue flashing LED will keep me awake.
You can also switch off the phone. It will awake if you setup a alarm time. Also it's better to switch off cellphones if you put it near to you during night!
Quote:
What do you think? Am I the only one constantly turning the BT stacks on and off on my devices to keep from burning my rods and cones out?* It isn't like it is easy turning it on and off either. 3-5 taps on the iPAQ, more if a soft reset is required and about 13 on the T68.&lt;!>
For me it's only two taps to switch off/on the Bluetooth stack on the iPAQ and also on the T68(I) it's pretty fast with the "Shortcuts" functionality.
However, mostly I don't switch off Bluetooth as it (the LEDs) doesn't disturbs me so much...

Old 08-30-2002, 06:38 PM
normaldude
Ponderer

Masking tape

Old 08-30-2002, 06:41 PM
denivan
Theorist

The blinking light of my T68i is maddening ! Really, it's the most annoying thing I've ever seen. When at first I got, my girlfriend got up at night and thought it was storming outside, she thought the blue flashes were lightning Now I have to turn off my phone when I go to sleep or go to the cinema. This really annoys me, because normally I keep my phone on vibrate for receiving text messages in the movie theater, but this blue light is so intence that it shines through my shirt pocket and even through my white dockers pants. Plus : everytime someone sees your phone, they ask what the blue light is, and you have to explain it's bluetooth and give a little demonstration etc. etc. So, maybe we should start a new group :

Citizens are Raging Against Phoneleds ! Yeah, that's right, we're CRAP !

Old 08-30-2002, 06:47 PM
igreen
Ponderer

I'm afraid until Marketing Wizards change you will always be haunted by blinky lights. Nothing makes a Marketing Guy drool like a blinky light.

Old 08-30-2002, 06:52 PM
pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreen
I'm afraid until Marketing Wizards change you will always be haunted by blinky lights. Nothing makes a Marketing Guy drool like a blinky light.
it's interesting. i'd guess that sony ericsson did many focus groups and testing and people said "i want that" but in real life, and actual use, it's annoying. the marketing - engineering folks often listen to what customers say they want, as opposed to watching them.

cheers,
pt