Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 08-29-2002, 05:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Wow, hardly any posts today!

I've been gone away from my PC all day, and I was a little surprised to see that other than Marlof's early morning posts, nothing else was posted. Looks like my team was as busy as me. It's funny though - this eBook thread and the resulting hostility it evoked on both sides really made me lose interest in the site. When something that is supposed to be fun causes you grief and frustration, suddenly it's no longer at the top of your list of priorities. . The time and energy it takes to slug it out with the people who feel it's necessary to tear someone and their work down is getting to be too much. My work on the book is suffering because of it, and in general it's putting me in a bad mood.

So, I'm going to take a couple of days off. The rest of the team may or may not post - it's up to them. Keep using the forums and enjoying yourself, but I need a break - this is no longer fun for me, and that scares me a little.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:36 AM
humphrey22
Pupil

Sounds like a great plan!

Old 08-29-2002, 07:11 AM
harry
Pupil
Default Hmmmm

when i feel the way you do jason there is only one cure for me: beer, camping, bbqing something, mtn biking to the point of passing out, chasing the girlfriend around the house, and listening to NOFX. the latter 2 can be combined :wink: and since it's a 3 day weekend here in the lower 48 i'm gonna try to get them all done!

Old 08-29-2002, 08:07 AM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default sorry

Sorry that you have gotten upset. But to post in a public place people will always attack. One of the problems of trying to shares ones thoughts and beliefs. I know this from a few attacks i have recieved and a few i have probably made. Enjoy your vacation everyone deserves one once and a while. P.S. out of curiousity what kind of servers do you run the site on? Linux, WIN, BSD?

Old 08-29-2002, 09:05 AM
gracar
Pupil

I hope you enjoy your break but I also hope that you use the time to reflect on your reasons for getting involved in Pocket PC Thoughts in the first place. I think you are on a curve that all start up businesses go through - you have passed the point of "start up fun" and are now into the reality of a large customer base and significant anounts of administrative time. Some people can't hack the change and move on to a new start up. I hope you won't take that path.

The straw that broke your back was related to an e-book posting and I think the people who initially responed in the negative ought to ask why they are involved in this site. The majority of people who read the posts - I would guess - are new or newish to the PPC and look for help in getting the best from the device. I think these and many other posts of a similar nature are a great help. If the "experts" want to knock peoples efforts why don't they go off somewhere else and leave the rest of the readers to enjoy and learn. I downloaded a great tutorial on BT connection and would have gladly paid $10 for it. Free has no value and I admire people who recognise the value of their work and make a nominal charge for it.

I'd offer a few thoughts to you Jason:-

1. Write down the original objectives of the site and consider whether they are being met at this time.

2. Get things back on track by setting some ground rules with your team. Have the postings become to "off topic" or "political" is the site still relevant to the original objectives?

3. Recognise that you are past a "few friends" and don't take things personally.

4. Keep up the good work and believe that the vast majority of your readers do not want to see the likes of you and Dale Coffing give up.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:05 AM
krisbrown
Ponderer

Forums are the home of the flame I guess,
but really people, if you have the intelligence to post an opinion, then you have the intelligence to realise the context in which these books are presented, mouthing off the bleedin obvious in such a derogatory way doesn't do anyone any good.
Jeez you'd think someone was forcing you to buy them.
Do you people march round Toys 'r' Us shouting about theprice of the lowbrow literature!!
Don't worry flame boys, JD will get you back!

Listern to the Sunscreen song mate, utter cliche, but sooo true, every line.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:21 PM
jsjxyz
Pupil

Keep your head cool, your site is still number one sources for Pocket PC quick info, it can be seen by the thoughts submitted in each topic you posted it.
To be on the top of the hills it is not easy
Regards,
Jerry
Pocket PC eBooks Watch

Old 08-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Jason I just want to apologize for the 550 review thread and the little scuffle Boxster and I got into. I lost my temper and interpreted Boxster post as hostile which in retrospect it wasn't. Sorry. :?

Old 08-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Ashley Dunn
Pupil
Default Re: sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanmayer
P.S. out of curiousity what kind of servers do you run the site on? Linux, WIN, BSD?
I'm not sure if Jason will venture in here today, so I thought I'd take the liberty of answering your question. He's running a Linux based server, and will continue to for quite some time. :-)

There was talk of moving to a Windows box, but due to the high cost of running such a server, he opted to stick with Linux.

Old 08-29-2002, 04:07 PM
ledowning
Ponderer
Default Vacation

I have only been using a Pocket PC for about a year and am by no means an expert. I visit sites like yours to learn more about Pocket PC uses and to find out about different programs and developments that affect the Pocket PC world and what may be useful to me. It never ceases to amaze me, some of the comments that show up in the forums.

Do some people have nothing better to do than respond to forums all day? I know that I don't have time to respond or question everything I read. I think that some people have way too much free time.

Forums are useful discussion areas for many topics, but I don't think that they should be used to openly criticize anyone for their work. Just because you don't like something or wouldn't buy something doesn't mean someone else won't.

I hope that Jason and all the others who run this site don't get too discouraged, I for one really like this site and its diversity.

Have a good few days off Jason.

"Life Is What Happens While You're Making Other Plans"