Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Random XDA musings, part 2

Now that I'm living the connected life with Tanto my XDA, there's a specific issue I want to spur some discussion on. It involves the issue of presence, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. I think that as more and more of us get connected, this will become a real issue, and I'd like to make my stance on it now. In some ways, it's a matter of etiquette.

The issue is this: I've seen a pattern among people that get a mobile connection, usually via GPRS. They register another Passport account and sign in as "Name (Mobile)". The end result is that I end up with them in my contact list twice, and at some point both are logged in. So which one do I contact? Which one is the person really at?

Instant messaging services like Windows Messenger (MSN Messenger) are about one thing: presence. Even if you have Messenger installed on multiple computers or devices, when you sign on to that device, it signs you out of the other ones - you are active only on the device you are using, which is the way it's meant to be. Looking at my contact list is the equivalent of looking around the room and seeing each person sitting in front of their computer or carrying their connected Pocket PC in their pocket. If you're logged in, you're there (unless your state is set to away, etc.) If I see you on the list, I know you're connected, and if I send you a message you'll get it sooner or later. Now the exciting thing about IM is that it simply reports your on-line presence - not what device you're using, nor where you are. When I see that pt is on-line and I send him a message, I don't know or care where/how he's on-line - just that he's there.

So the question is, why have two Passport accounts? Why tie the concept of IM to a device instead of to your presence? The only logical reason for this might be if you want to have two unique contact lists that don't intermingle, but barring that, I question why people do this. So what do you think? Am I missing something here? You dual-Passport people, speak up!

Old 08-15-2002, 10:09 PM
TBone
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to TBone Send a message via AIM to TBone Send a message via Yahoo to TBone

I accumulate an extra name every now and then when I forget my password. <grin> Usually I figure it out after a week or so, though.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: Random XDA musings, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Am I missing something here? You dual-Passport people, speak up!
Okay, okay Jason... I know I'm one of the guys in your list with two accounts... ;-)
The reason is easy:

- Yes, the desktop list isn't the same like the PPC list. While I allow near everybody to see me on the desktop I don't want it on my PPC
- MSN Messenger on PPC doesn't supports everything the desktop version supports, so many people tried to send files in the past to my PPC
- The user on the other side should know that replies might needs longer cause I'm using a stylus
- I want to show everybody else, that I have an xda/WDA in my hand... :lol:
- I want to increase the user count of Passport to help MSFT... :lol:

No, if I could differentiate between desktop and PPC in the Messenger client and give different user access to the list, depending which device I'm using and the available MSN services would be displayed, depending on the weakest Messenger client, I would use only one in future.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:16 PM
jmulder
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder

OK, I'll hang my head in shame...I have 2 passport accounts. :cry:

In my case, I'm trying to move from one passport acount to another. I recently signed up for a service that I wanted attached to my own domain rather than a Hotmail account, so I got the second passport. Let me tell you, I'm paying for my infraction...what a pain to deal with MSN explorer and a new passport. :shocked!:

Now that I've confessed to my sins, I agree with you completely. What good is it to have Messenger if it doesn't contact you wherever you are. In fact, if I ever get a Smartphone 2002, I'll use it for Messenger while at work or "out", and my PC when I'm at home. (And I'll only use one account, I promise!)

-Jim

Old 08-15-2002, 10:18 PM
igreen
Ponderer

Perhaps it is to keep their two lives separate. That is their "work" life and their "personal" life. I do something like this with email. I don't sync my Ipaq with my work INBOX because A.) MS didn't allow the PPC OS to sync via different services to different mail accounts...a very annoying thing. B.) As a result I don't want my personal and work email intermingling. Perhaps it is similar with IM. While at work behind the "Snooped" Corporate IT firewall, they are MR X, and on their free time elsewhere they are MR Y.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:29 PM
splintercell
Ponderer

I used to have to ICQ accounts for that reason: one for my PC and one for my handheld when I still had OmniSky. Apart from not giving everybody the second account name and thus limiting the mobile messages to only the ones I deemed important, I also thought it helped my friends realize whether I was on the road or not. I was never logged in as both simultaneously - I'd either be "mobile" or not. I wish IM clients added a status option such as "Using Handheld" to the usual "Away", "Busy" and so forth, because then I'd just use one account and people could tell where I am.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM
kdross
Pupil

I have two Passport accounts... one for my desktop, and one 'Mobile' one, too. My primary reason is because I use MSN Messenger a lot, and when I ActiveSync my handheld, if I had MSN Messenger open in the background, it logs in and forces me out of my desktop MSN Messenger.

I don't want to start answering MSN Messenger messages on my handheld when my I'm really sitting in front of both devices.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:43 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

I guess this is also an issue depending on how you're paying for your bits. If it's all you can eat, then I'd be much more likely to let anyone access me who can also access my home IM account. If I'm being gouged by a telco (much more likely), then I would be likely just to give my mobile IM account to people I want to reach me anywhere, and save a few k.

That said, when I had a few weeks with a GPRS card, I kept my regular account because it was very cool to be able to tell people I was in a park or on the ferry when we were chatting... and as someone said, why spend the bucks if nobody knows you are a king or queen geek?

Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I used to do this sort of thing, until I became more proactive in updating my profile depending on location. Yes, I would agree that it is time consuming and a little irksome, but with some good housekeeping habits you can manage your IM connection fairly well. I for one always change my Messenger Name depending on what device I'm at or where I'm sitting. i.e. At the office I'm brntcrsp - work, on the Pocket PC brntcrsp - PPC, at home brntcrsp.

When I move from one location to the next I also block those that I don't want contacting me while I'm on a particular machine.

The only good thing about preserving two accounts is when you want to IM yourself for something. For example, setting up a separate Passport will enable you to transfer files between your machines, and run remote desktop, via a request. Benefits to be had, as well as disadvantages.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:37 AM
mgd
Ponderer

Arne has pretty much summed it up for me. If would be great if Messenger supported configurable profiles--like cell phones.