Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Time to ACT?

http://www.pinpointtools.com/products/ta-pocketpc.htm

Trans/ACT for Pocket PC goes to beta! Features include:

"� Download ALL types of ACT! data: contacts, groups (the full group records, not just "categories"), notes, histories, sales/opportunities and calendars.
� Get ALL your fields! All custom ACT! contact and group fields are automatically created on the Pocket PC and downloaded from ACT!. You're not limited to just a few user fields like in other products. What use is a customized ACT! database if you can't use it on your Pocket PC?
Create custom screen layouts for the Pocket PC, like you can now with ACT!.
� Control how much data to download to your Pocket PC: select a single group and/or set the number of notes, histories, sales and activities to download. No need to export the contacts you want to a temporary ACT! database first.
� Use the familiar ACT! menus, buttons and terminology. No need to learn a separate system and figure out how to "map" your ACT! data into some other kind of database. It looks and works like ACT!."

Old 08-15-2002, 01:42 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer
Default Finally!

I have been an avid ACT! user for 5 years now and have always been looking for a way to port my ACT! data over to my handheld device since Symantec discontinued the Windows CE product (which only worked on the early H/PCs). I have requested testing information, but see no other place to download this product for beta testing. How do I get a copy?

Old 08-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Don Sorcinelli
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via MSN to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via Yahoo to Don Sorcinelli
Default Finally!

I was a serious ACT! user for a number of years. I eventually gave up on it when I moved to the PocketPC. It wasn't so much whether or not I could get the data over to my PPC (the synch tools available did that), but the fact that the ACT! UI is a key component to the effectiveness of the product. Pocket Outlook and the various PIM replacements just weren't the same.

This is great news! I will be eager to see if the product can live up to the feature list and screenshots. I may just go back to ACT! after all...

Old 08-15-2002, 03:19 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I read their web site, it doesn't sound like this application synchronizes data with ACT!. Rather, it simply works with ACT! data that you can download to a Pocket PC. If you don't sync with ACT! what is the value of this program?

Old 08-15-2002, 03:53 PM
dazz
Theorist

fmcpherson, I think you are right!! I was thinking this is a fantastic app but if you can't fully interact with your ACT! data I think it loses a LOT of appeal.

It would be nice have information on the PocketPC but if that is all...

I have to say, I am slightly relieved as I am currently developing an app to do this with FULL sync capabilities. I have the PocketPC (and Palm) version done and am currently working on the sync engine. BTW it will sync with either ACT! or Goldmine.

I think this app would be great if you could sync info but with this limitation AND at $79.99...?????

Old 08-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Don Sorcinelli
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via MSN to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via Yahoo to Don Sorcinelli
Default Now That I Read It Carefully...

I think you guys are right. They did an effective job of "wordsmithing" their description page (in conjunction with the screen shots). It's only when you really look at the method of data transfer that this appears to be only one-way.

It took me a couple of reads to see that the word "download" in their descriptions had a less than desirable meaning

Guess this IS good news for you, Dazz. Hope that this fuels your work even more (I know I'll be eagerly waiting )...

Old 08-15-2002, 04:51 PM
dazz
Theorist
Default Re: Now That I Read It Carefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
Guess this IS good news for you, Dazz. Hope that this fuels your work even more (I know I'll be eagerly waiting )...
Yep, this lights a rather hot fire under me. I am planning on an initial release in about 30 days</cross fingers>

I'll post info as I can to this forum.

Cheers.

Old 08-15-2002, 06:09 PM
muaddip
Ponderer

If you guys need to sync your data you can use CompanionLink. That is what our company is doing, we have had a few problems and the syncing is not the fastest in the world. However, CompanionLink has been very good and helpful in providing fixes and updates for us. They have even added features for us not yet available in the commercial version.

I am very interested in Dazz's program though. I have had to develop a contact replacement program since the built in contact PIM sucks eggs for displaying user defined field.

Keep us informed on you project status Dazz, and if you need any help, comments or suggestion shoot me an email at [email protected].

Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM
dazz
Theorist

Thanks for the offer of help muaddip.

I like CompanionLink's technology and it is certainly a better sync option than the basic one. CompanionLink will sync extra info to the PocketPC but the linking is broken, i.e. the contact, tasks and calender information is no longer linked. If you create information on the PocketPC it will need to be manipulated in order to work properly in ACT!

The big difference is that my application will has full functionality on the PocketPC. In other words, from the Contact record you can view all notes, activities, opportunities and oders. From the Company records you see all contacts (at that company), etc.

I'll certainly let everyone know how things are progressing.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:25 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona
Default ACT! sync'ing.

I've been using the Pumatech software, and it just sucks for ACT! synchronization. I've been after the ACT! people to develop an ACT! client for the PocketPC.

About 2-3 months ago, they e-mailed me a questionnaire about what I would like to see in a PocketPC client version of ACT! Finally, I thought, they are taking notice of the market.

Sync'ing, is one of the most important issues for ACT! Desktop/PPC productivity. Plus, you can't link information to the contacts you use.

Trans/ACT! looks to be a good product. But, they need to get the synchronization stuff down. Press the Sync button, I want my information sync'd between desktop and PPC. Period. Without this ability, there is NO WAY I'm going to pay $80 for this program. For one way sync'ing and all of the information present, I think $20 - $30 would be much more reasonable. WITH sync'ing and having all links to info, $60 - $80