Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-14-2002, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Ignore_my_docs - very frustrating

Has anyone noticed an "ignore_my_docs" zero byte file on their storage card or ROM file store? I think this was done in the Pocket PC 2002 OS because people had trouble finding data on their storage card unless they had specifically created a \My Documents\ folder.

So, the Pocket PC 2002 now looks at the storage card when you insert it. If \My Documents\ doesn't exist, it puts a hidden file called "ignore_my_docs" on the card. It also has done this to the HP Safe Store or iPAQ File Store. So, what does it do? Well, Pocket PC 2002 apps see this hidden file and look at the root of the storage card for everything. This can be very annoying if you have a large card with hundreds of files on it in other subfolders. For example, my storage cards always look like this:

\Music\
\My Documents\
\app1\
\app2\

Don't get me started on apps being installed in the root versus under a \Program Files\ folder. That is another rant. Ok, if ignore_my_docs exists, apps like Excel and Word will scan the entire card looking for their files. Prepare to wait if it is a 1GB microdrive that is full. The solution is to create \My Documents\ on the card and delete the hidden ignore_my_docs file. To delete it, either dock your device and use Explorer on the desktop, assuming it is configured to see hidden files, or tap-and-hold in File Explorer on your Pocket PC in the white area below a file listing and select "View All Files." The beauty of this is that Windows Media Player on the Pocket PC 2002 doesn't require music to be in \My Documents\ any longer as it did under the Pocket PC 2000 OS, so all of your music is still readily available.

Edit: The above also applies to Pocket PC 2003 and 2003 SE devices as well as all ROM file stores on any device that allows you to store data there.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Of course, all this stems from MS's stupid "hide the directory structure while you're in our Pocket apps" behavior. I personally hate the lack of nested folders. We are buying a PPC, not a Palm!

Fortunately, I use my MD for mostly MP3's, so I don't notice a slowdown with the ignore_my_docs bit.

--bdj

Old 08-14-2002, 04:39 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Maybe I am an idiot (though I know I am not), but Excel and Word will only go so many folders deep in a Documents folder to find files. I am an organization freak so I use folders in subfolders in subfolders to keep things neet, but the Pocket Apps from MS only look one folder deep unless I am missing something. I have to open my filesfrom Pocket File Explorer.
My folders look like this.

My Documents/Documents/Word/
My Documents/Documents/Excel/
My Documents/Documents/Text/
My Documents/Documents/Webs/
My Documents/My Music/'album name here'/

Old 08-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountford
Maybe I am an idiot (though I know I am not), but Excel and Word will only go so many folders deep in a Documents folder to find files. I am an organization freak so I use folders in subfolders in subfolders to keep things neet, but the Pocket Apps from MS only look one folder deep unless I am missing something.
Another major frustration. WMP can use folders many levels deep, but you are right, built in and most other apps can only "see" one level deep. Major pain. :evil:

Old 08-14-2002, 07:30 PM
T-Will
Sage

Hopefully PPC.net will allow nested folders....is there any word at all on what the PPC.net interface will be like?

Old 08-14-2002, 07:33 PM
jlp
Pontificator

Another great example of a problem wrongly solutioned: instead of automatically creating an ignore_my_docs file why the OS couldn't automatically create a \My Documents\ folder in the first place when you insert a new storage card ?!

Old 08-14-2002, 10:51 PM
T-Will
Sage

I think it was in case people had files in some other directory, that ignore_my_docs file would tell the OS to search the other folders for files. Or am I totally off?

Old 08-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtipmothee
I think it was in case people had files in some other directory, that ignore_my_docs file would tell the OS to search the other folders for files. Or am I totally off?
It ignores the normal behavior of My Docs, which essentially acts as the root for most apps. It shows you what is in ALL folders. If you have a storage card with 10-15 apps installed on it plus some music folders, coupled with whatever you have in My Documents in main RAM, the ignore_my_docs makes for an unwieldy folder menu in apps and very long search times on big storage cards with lots of files.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:21 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default can someone try this?

If I want the OS to look in the root and 'My Documents' will the ignor file flag it or is it a case of either/or? I would try myself, but I left my storage cards for my 568 at home :?

Old 08-15-2002, 05:20 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Inventing Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp
Another great example of a problem wrongly solutioned....
"Solutioned"? What happened to "solved"? You wouldn't be a manager by any chance, would you? :lol:

Sorry, making up words for existing words is a pet peeve of mine. We now return to our regularly scheduled topic.

Steve