Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 08-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Finally! Avantgo gives us what we've been asking for!

https://ami.avantgo.com/channels/buy8.html

For $14.95 per year, you can load up to 8MB of Avantgo data on your Pocket PC. The current free version has a 2MB limit. This is also an introductory price - it will be $19.95 normally. I think this is the model that will actually work rather than charging thousands of dollars to sites. You must have an account to see the link above since it starts the purchase process for your account.

Now, I would buy this yesterday if I could figure out why my Avantgo channels are constantly asking me to go online. It has gotten so annoying I have quit launching it.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:01 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Had Avantgo Wouldn't travel. Have Mazingo will travel. Nuff Said.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Wes Salmon
Intellectual

I don't know, I personally had close to 4MB of AvantGo data on my Pocket PC (two accounts) and it was so un-godly slow that I stopped using it all together and opted for a custom list of Mobile Favorites synced every morning.

I can't imagine how slow 8MB of AvantGo data would be.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountford
Isn't Mazingo $7/mo for custom channels though? Mazingo has gone so far with multimedia I don't think Avantgo and Mazingo are necessiarly direct comparisons.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:17 PM
pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt
Default trickery!

on the site it says "if you would like to take advantage of extra channel capacity to add more content and applications..."

um, i can't add applications, or anything besides text and pretty much one image format. so they should really define application, cause' application usally means more than what avantgo supports.

ideally, support for files would be great. ebooks, music, exes, flash, themes, all that.

i'll pay pretty much anything for that.

or i can install mazingo, but i'd like to see avantgo support that.

cheers,
pt

Old 08-14-2002, 05:20 PM
PPCRules
Thinker
Default Re: Finally! Avantgo gives us what we've been asking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
... I think this is the model that will actually work rather than charging thousands of dollars to sites.
But they are still charging the sites thousands of dollars, right? Double-dipping. Mazingo has to get their money from only one end. I can't see Avantgo not charging the sites until a lot of people abandon it for alternatives.

Actually, I think their model has a place. I have always had AvantGo work well for me. But I am also glad there are alternatives which do work pretty good, which do other things better.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:22 PM
marlof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Salmon
I don't know, I personally had close to 4MB of AvantGo data on my Pocket PC (two accounts) and it was so un-godly slow that I stopped using it all together and opted for a custom list of Mobile Favorites synced every morning. I can't imagine how slow 8MB of AvantGo data would be.
You still have to show me how that Mobile Favorites of yours have worked, and kept on working. In all my Pocket PC using years, I've never been able to get that to work in a stable manner.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: Finally! Avantgo gives us what we've been asking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
... I think this is the model that will actually work rather than charging thousands of dollars to sites.
But they are still charging the sites thousands of dollars, right? Double-dipping. Mazingo has to get their money from only one end. I can't see Avantgo not charging the sites until a lot of people abandon it for alternatives.
My understanding is they backed waaaaaaaay back from that policy. They still charge biggies like Bloomberg, CNET, Wall Street Journal, etc. but not enthusiast sites.

pt - on applications - I think they consider their mapquest type links an app. I would like to see more of what you listed as well, but then again, that is what Mazingo is for.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Wes Salmon
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
You still have to show me how that Mobile Favorites of yours have worked, and kept on working. In all my Pocket PC using years, I've never been able to get that to work in a stable manner.
I guess I've been lucky since mobile favorites have been pretty stable for me. The only problem I recently encountered was trying to sync the same favorites between two machines on the same device. Now *that* blew it up real nice.

What is the typical error you get when trying to use/sync mobile favorites?

Old 08-14-2002, 05:55 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Quote:
Marlof Bregonje wrote:
I have never had a problem with mobile favorites ever.
Quote:
Ed Hansberry Posted: JMountford wrote:

Isn't Mazingo $7/mo for custom channels though? Mazingo has gone so far with multimedia I don't think Avantgo and Mazingo are necessiarly direct comparisons.
I signed up way long ago with Mazingo. I get everything for free.