Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-08-2002, 07:09 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default A very busy stork indeed

Before that stork delivered a Spaceneedle to Jason, it came to the Netherlands, where it dropped an HP Jornada 928 wda at my place. I don't need Photoshop, this baby looks great on its own.

It feels so good to finally be wdabled. For an old Jornada fan like myself, a connected Jornada is like a dream come true. But....in the next couple of days I will take a close look at it, and if I find any flaws, I will report on them. Expect a full report on the WDA to appear next week.

The best place to live for Pocket PC fans must be the UK right now, where they get to choose between the O2 XDA and the Vodafone WDA. All other countries consider themselves lucky if they carry one of those.

Old 08-08-2002, 07:17 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default GRRRR

DAMN HP...... :evil:

Old 08-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Go UK! Trouble is that I am not allowed to take a phone into my work. A real bummer as the 928 would otherwise be perfect. I don't even know if I would be allowed to take it in with the SIM removed (not that I want to remove the fragile SIM each day. Bah.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:53 PM
steddyman
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to steddyman

I purchased the 928 last week and planned to replace my iPaq 3870 and T68 with it. First impression were good for the device, but unfortunately it didn't last and I will be returning it this week for a refund.

My problems with the device are:
1. The screen is awful. Very watery and on the move, and the integrated phone display seems to interfere since the top left corner is much darker.
2. Its very quiet when used without the headset and is near impossible to hear what people are saying.
3. It eats the two batteries it comes with in no time if you use the phone.
4. The speaker crackles and when the device rings at the top volume it breaks up all the time.
5. Weird problems like the GPS icon disappears when its still connected.

A colleague got one too the following day and he's as exactly the same problem and will be going back. I don't like the look of the XDA either so i'll have to go back to the iPaq.

Steddy

Old 08-08-2002, 01:39 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman
My problems with the device are:
1. The screen is awful. Very watery and on the move, and the integrated phone display seems to interfere since the top left corner is much darker.
I can't confim the top left corner being darker either, no matter what backlight setting I set. Usually, I have my backlight in the lowest setting. I was used to using the iPAQ without Backlight, so this is bright enough for me. And I'm pretty pleased with the screen so far. I don't witness anything watery or on the move. I did not select ClearType for the complete device, as that's something that I don't like.

Quote:
2. Its very quiet when used without the headset and is near impossible to hear what people are saying.
I agree, the built in earpiece should be louder, now it can be too quiet, even when pressing the volume all the way up through the up/down buttons on the side. The headset and speakerphone function perform way better.

Quote:
3. It eats the two batteries it comes with in no time if you use the phone.
They have this funny tip in the Power Settings applet: "Wireless connection (phone/data), playing music and video files consume power. To conserve power, use these functions sparingly." Isn't the Wireless Connection something I'd want a Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition for? I've finetuned some settings to get me through the day. Of course, as in all Pocket PC 2002 devices, I immediately switched off the "Receive all incoming beams" in Settings/Connections/Beam. I hardly use IR receive, and that setting unecessarily eats battery life. Next to that, I have the lowest backlight setting set as My Preference. Don't know if it's necessary, but it's the way I like it best and I like that it conserves battery power.

What I like in this device when it comes to preserving power, is the setting that the screen turns off automatically when you close the lid. Add an "Auto Suspend" setting to that, and things should be ok.

The problem is that these devices use their batteries for everything. It has a PDA time of 12 hours OR a phone talk time of 3 to 4 hours OR a phone standby time of over 100 hours. Use the device as a PDA, and you'll lose standby and talk time. Use it as a phone, and you'll lose PDA and standby time.

Happily, as Jornada Boy, I have a whale of Jornada power cords laying around, and a car charger. At work, this thing is charged whenever it's in the cradle, and at night, it's charged at the bedside. I do hope it will carry me over those days where you're on the road, have to use it extensively, and have no chance to charge it. Because I believe that's the mobile warrior scenario these devices are targeted at.

In the mean time, reading your story, I will try to locate spare batteries for the removable half of the 928 battery.

Quote:
4. The speaker crackles and when the device rings at the top volume it breaks up all the time.
5. Weird problems like the GPS icon disappears when its still connected.
I have not experienced these problems with the speaker and the GPRS icon disappearing yet, but this is my first day of testing. I'll keep my eye out for them when I'm testing this a bit longer. On the topic of the GPRS: what are your settings in the HP GPRS applet?

Old 08-08-2002, 02:02 PM
steddyman
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to steddyman

The settings I have in GPRS are:
Auto Attach and Detach disabled.
GPRS Authentication = CHAP

I am using it on the Orange network rather than Vodafone which was really hard to find the right settings, but it works now.

Steddy

Old 08-09-2002, 07:26 AM
van_mierlo
Ponderer
Default congratulations

have fun with it Marlof,

I"'ll see it soon