Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-07-2002, 03:38 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why we have the "Off Topic" category

I've had a couple complaints over the past week from people who want the site to remain focused on Pocket PCs, and they seem concerned over the non-Pocket PC nature of some of our posts.

There are generally three reasons why we do off-topic posts:

1) We find something of great importance that we want to share with you, and we think you'll find it useful
2) We want to vent about something, sing the praises of something, or generally share some small part of our lives with you
3) It's a slow news day for Pocket PCs and we want to generate some discussion on the site and give some people a reason to come back

The aspartame thread was way out there, and not something I'm likely to do again, but it falls under the first category. If I discovered something I felt was very important, I'd feel compelled to post it. If it ticks off 1% of you, but benefits the other 99%, so be it. My post on the digital video editing book, Marlof's post with his photos - those are all "type two" posts. We like to think that even if it's not directly related to Pocket PCs, you'll enjoy reading our posts because it may spark discussion on something we have in common.

The Apple posts today were simply the result of a slow news day - I think it's fun to debate and mix it up over topics like this. If that doesn't interest you, you're certainly not obligated to click on the discussion link and read it all - at worse you've wasted 10 seconds reading the 300 word intro I wrote.

I would, however, like your opinion on this. More off-topic, less, or none at all? Vote in the poll and give me your comments.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:42 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

You forgot #4!

4) Ed finds something totally stupid and posts it on a Friday afternoon!

Look for another one this friday. :lol:

Old 08-07-2002, 03:46 AM
kaiden.1
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to kaiden.1
Default Keep it like it is!!!!!!!

Ohh.... let's cry because of the little bit of other stuff that shows up once in a while. My goodness; who is too immature here that they can't take a little bit of extra stuff once in a while........

Get a grip! I say the posts stays like it is! We're all adults here right? Let's not get to carried away here people.

The "thoughts" site is perfect; if you don't like it go over to the other sites and hang out we won't miss you at all! :wink:

Old 08-07-2002, 03:46 AM
Busdriver
Intellectual

I'm with you on this. Really enjoy the off-topic every once in a while

Old 08-07-2002, 03:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
4) Ed finds something totally stupid and posts it on a Friday afternoon!
Maybe that's a partial solution - Friday afternoon is stupid post time, weekend is completely off topic, etc.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:56 AM
cpoole
Ponderer
Default Keep em coming...

I read all the headings but I certainly do not read every article posted here. That is not a bad thing, its just that not every article interests me.

You cannot please everyone here so please yourself. Post what interests you... if readership drops, then it is time to re-evaluate the content. It seems to me that there is much more content here than when I first visited... keep up the good work.

Here is a "off topic" thought for you. How about adding a spell checker function for the preview. I always "proof read" my stuff but it seems that many spelling mistakes sneak in regardless of my efforts. :roll:

Old 08-07-2002, 04:07 AM
jdhill
Intellectual
Default Re: Keep em coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoole
Here is a "off topic" thought for you. How about adding a spell checker function for the preview. I always "proof read" my stuff but it seems that many spelling mistakes sneak in regardless of my efforts. :roll:
Yes !!! Please !!! Some of us would really like a spell checker!

Old 08-07-2002, 04:09 AM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

wah, wah, wah....

Please... a few off topic subjects and people complain? I mean, REALLY, it's not like anyone pays to view this site. Jason & Co.: It's your site, do with it what you like (so long as it's legal.)

Some "off-topic" stuff I read, other stuff I don't - but the key is, I'm in in control. If I don't want to read a post... I just use that little "wheely" thing on my mouse and scroll right past it.

Keep up the good work - I love the site the way it is; but I'm waiting for those pocket PC raffles :wink:

Old 08-07-2002, 04:12 AM
Steven Cedrone
Default Re: Keep em coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoole
Hot Lingo works for me!!!!

Steve

Old 08-07-2002, 04:15 AM
jeffmckean
Ponderer

I love the occasional Off-Topic! First of all, we're already in danger of obsessing on Pocket PCs, so it helps to break it up and remind us there are other things in the world.

And, Jason, it's your site! Sure, your readership comes from people knowing that you are the "CNN of the Pocket PC world" (I love that moniker) but I think we can stand the odd detour.

Keep it up!
Microsoft