Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-30-2002, 06:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Aspartame is deadly poison - drop that Diet Coke right now!

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

I don't use this "pulpit" to do much preachin' other than the good news of the Pocket PC, but after being at a BBQ last night and seeing the number of people drinking diet colas pumped up with aspertame, I felt really convicted to pass this URL along to all of you (Ashley found it). The stories from people who used aspertame are very sobering, and thinking of the people I know who are heavy users, I see a lot of commonalities in the stories. Sugar is natural and tasty - but it's better to not drink a can of pop than drink one that will kill you. And if you think it's just about pop, take out that pack of gum you have and look at the ingredients. Wrigleys gum is one of the few types on the market without aspartame in it.

"An analysis of peer reviewed medical literature using MEDLINE and other databases was conducted by Ralph G. Walton, MD, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral Medicine, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine. Dr. Walton analyzed 164 studies which were felt to have relevance to human safety questions. Of those studies, 74 studies had aspartame industry-related sponsorship and 90 were funded without any industry money.

Of the 90 non-industry-sponsored studies, 83 (92%) identified one or more problems with aspartame. Of the 7 studies which did not find a problems, 6 of those studies were conducted by the FDA. Given that a number of FDA officials went to work for the aspartame industry immediately following approval (including the former FDA Commissioner), many consider these studies to be equivalent to industry-sponsored research.

Of the 74 aspartame industry-sponsored studies, all 74 (100%) claimed that no problems were found with aspartame. This is reminiscent of tobacco industry research where it is primarily the tobacco research which never finds problems with the product, but nearly all of the independent studies do find problems."

UPDATE: Uh, nevermind... ops:

Old 07-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Xaximus
Pupil

I knew about aspartame in certain soft drinks, but hadn't thought about other products. Out of curiosity, I pulled out the pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit from my pocket... it's "sugarfree", and DOES contain aspartame.

Old 07-30-2002, 06:45 PM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

Asparatame is in everything, including toothpaste. My comment is that this site seems to be full of stories and conjecture, but I did not see any scientific studies. The people complaining of symptoms might also be the same people who see UFOs or Elvis.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 07-30-2002, 06:57 PM
heliod
Intellectual

Well, I've been in this movie before. ops:

After I sent this same URL to some hundreds of people, my doctor showed me very convincing documents that not only aspartame doesn't do all that is written there, but also that just as we say that the existing documents are like the tobacco mafia, all the people signing the papers you see in these statements are connected to the sugar lobby.

Sorry to disappoint everybody, but I felt the same one year ago.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:00 PM
flooder
Ponderer

It is very interesting where this topic seems to come up. I would have never expected it here but here it is.

I think there is some valityity to the matter and have removed it from my diet for a while. (This post is going to have make me look a little deeper at ingredients though).

Keep up the good work Jason.

Haveing delt with people with fibromyalgia, I know that DRs don't know nearly everything. Since I have Hypoglycemia (antoher thing that most DRs don't know how to deal with correctly) I turned to Diet sodas and really like Diet Coke. It is going to be hard to keep away from it once the cooler temps roll around.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:12 PM
michael
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaximus
I knew about aspartame in certain soft drinks, but hadn't thought about other products. Out of curiosity, I pulled out the pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit from my pocket... it's "sugarfree", and DOES contain aspartame.
Yep, Wrigley's Extra does as well. :?

Old 07-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Hyperluminal
Thinker

Also, there's the fact that this could have just acted as a placebo, so aspartame may not have even affected those people.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:28 PM
pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt
Default step away from the keyboard...

obecity is pretty much the #1 killer of people in the us, if you exercise, eat well, stuff like this really aren't anything to worry about.

that said, stop reading this, put down the super sized fries and big gulp and go outside ;-]

cheers,
pt

Old 07-30-2002, 07:30 PM
cpoole
Ponderer
Default Its all about choices

A typical can/bottle of soft drink can contain over 200 calories. One bottle per day is the same as 20 pounds of weight per year (200 * 365 / 3500). Many people drink more than one bottle per day... so the effect on your weigh increases dramically. If a person is battling a weight problem, substituting a low calory drink can make a big difference. Life is all about choices and accessing the risks associated with those choices. Many studies and millions of users have determined that aspartimine is quite safe. Some people will have negative experiences with this product. Most products consumed today will have a negative effect on some part of the population... cafine, nuts, tree fruits, salt, peanuts, milk and MSG are just a few. If this product does not agree with you, do not use it.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:30 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator
Default Ingredients, etc.

I figure if any of us actually knew what most of the ingredients in our food were, we'd never eat anything again. I looked at my Wrigley's Extra gum and see that it's sweetened with "Phenylketonurics," which contains "phenylalanine." 8O

As for drinks, I drink a lot of bottled water. I figure it looks clear and healthy, so it can't be all that bad. And it's about the only bottled food product on the planet that has only one or two ingredients.

You know what scares the hell out of me more than any artificial sweetner? "Meat" and "cheese" products that don't require refrigeration and have lists of ingredients longer than most EULAs. Read the back of a beef jerky package sometime. When something in your food contains an ingredient with thirty-seven letters, a hyphen, and then seventeen more letters, be afraid... be very afraid.

Actually, I thought of something equally frightning... Jelly Belly jelly beans. When I pop something round and chewy into my mouth and it tastes like popcorn... that's just a bizarre sensory experience.

--Dave