Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default NTT DoCoMo Announces New Pocket PC

http://investor.nttdocomo.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=86484&page=article&type=Press

NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile communication provider, has announced that it will be marketing a new Pocket PC on September 6. It sports an aluminum case and a "unique" name, the musea�.

The name is meant to make us think of art museums, in order to emphasize the graphics capabilities of the device's screen (the reflective, 64k color, 240X320 kind). While the hardware seems to be in line with other available Pocket PCs, it's the fact that the musea� is geared to take advantage of the high-speed and multimedia capabilities of the NTT DoCoMo network that is new:

"The musea� will be the first PDA compatible with DoCoMo's M-stage , a video content distribution service for downloading or streaming content such as movies, news and sports...The musea� will also be compatible with DoCoMo's PDA portal service --giving access to a wide range of online content and services-and supports four types of DoCoMo wireless connection: -based packet transmission, PDC packet transmission, PDC circuit-switched transmission, or PHS. Among the various -based applications available for the Pocket PC 2002 OS, is 'Auto Web Recorder', to record and store web-pages for offline browsing."

I've never used the DoCoMo service, but partnering its capabilities with those of a Pocket PC HAS to be a good thing!

No price has been announced.

Old 07-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

God damn! That is one gorgeous PDA! Looks very much like an iPod.

Of course...it will never come to the US. :x

Old 07-30-2002, 06:46 PM
grogma
Pupil

Just seeing it I find that I am overcome with musea. No.. wait... that was the burrito. 8O

Old 07-30-2002, 06:54 PM
heov
Thinker

Did Casio team up with DoCoMo to make the wireless Casio e707 about a while back?

Old 07-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Yeah, the name kind of grabs you, doesn't it? Since it's doubtful that this will ever make it to the West anytime soon, maybe it won't be a problem that it reminds you of "nausea."

Old 07-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Hey, the name may remind you of nausea...but the product certainly doesn't! It looks really cool. 8)

Old 07-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: NTT DoCoMo Announces New Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile communication provider, has announced that it will be marketing a new Pocket PC on September 6. It sports an aluminum case and a "unique" name, the musea�.
Great, great, great... The next mobile network operator which steps into the Pocket PC market

What makes me wonder is that this one isn't a Pocket PC Phone Edition but again just a "plain" Pocket PC... :-(
I hoped to see more from NTT, some cool FOMA Pocket PCs.

However, as mentioned in a posting before, NTT has some good experiences with Pocket PCs. Below a picture I made on CeBIT last year which shows a GPS receiver for their location based service platform.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:36 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default screen / size

There is alot of bezel around that screen. Either the screen is small or the PDA is large. What I find the most intriguing is the use of a CF PHS card. For those unfamiliar with PHS, it is a Ricochet type service with high-speed data connectivity. They are talking about delivering 2mb speed soon...

Old 07-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

Am I the only one who thinks that this looks pretty much like all of the other PPC 2002 devices? Can one of the MVPs in the know tell me for certain whether putting the joypad in the center of the device is an MS-mandated thing or is everyone just following the herd?

Scott

Old 07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R
Am I the only one who thinks that this looks pretty much like all of the other PPC 2002 devices? Can one of the MVPs in the know tell me for certain whether putting the joypad in the center of the device is an MS-mandated thing or is everyone just following the herd?
According to the MS person I just asked over IM, no, it's not mandated - it's just a case of "iPAQ envy".... :roll: