Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default How to get WiFi connected in a snap

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2875582,00.html

David Berlind of ZDNet explains how he got his iPAQ Pocket PC running on a WiFi network in a snap. The article mentions a special Symbol Technologies utility and is an interesting read both from a technology standpoint as well as from a "what-can-I-do-with-it" standpoint.

"A minute later, my iPaq was on the Internet. The systems engineer whipped out Symbol's Wireless Networker CF card and asked "Can you take one of these?" ... The utility has nine tabs, each representing a grouping of card configuration functions. The IP configuration tab not only shows if you picked DHCP (automatic, network determined) or Static IP addressing, it also shows values in the IP settings (address, mask, gateway, DNS, etc.)--even if they were determined via DHCP. Not even my PC does that."

David's experiences remind me about a certain day in September, 2000, nearly two years ago. I had just gotten my iPAQ Pocket PC 3630 running on a WiFi network and contacted Brighthand about it. It was most likely one of the first WiFi connected Pocket PC implementations, so they ran with it:

Imagine if people would still start jumping up and down once they got connected...

Old 07-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

When WiFi works on a Pocket PC, it's a beautiful thing. When I first installed my Symbol WiFi card, it was as simple as:

1) Install the drivers
2) Insert the card
3) Click OK

That was it - DHCP was the default, so I was on in 5 seconds. Beautiful!

Old 07-28-2002, 12:12 AM
drosenth
Pupil

Jason, what do you typically do with your WiFi connected PocketPC? I am considering the WiFi CF purchase, but I am not sure what all I would use it for.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-28-2002, 01:04 AM
jdhill
Intellectual

I'm not sure how Jason uses his. I use mine to browse the Internet, send and receive e-mail, and sync with Outlook on my desktop.

Old 07-28-2002, 01:05 AM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

I am using the Linksys WCF11 card on my iPaq 3630 - came up immiediately, absolutely no configuration issues. Changed the SSID on the card and set up the WEP, and off I ran. I am also using the Linksys WAP11 AP, so I can't comment on what issues may have occured had I been going to a different vendor's AP.

The question about what one does now that they are wireless on a WiFi network - not as much as I thought I would do. It's good for checking email when out back around the pool, checking hits on my web sites, checking on eBay auctions, quick lookup stuff - not nearly as practical as I thought it would - today. I have got to believe that as more public places put in WiFi for customer use, the practical use will increase dramatically. Till then, well, it's pretty cool to show off to my less fortunate but non-the-less geeky friends....

By the way, the Linksys AP that I put in is used by two other system in my PAN, not just the iPaq...

Old 07-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator
Default How I use WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosenth
Jason, what do you typically do with your WiFi connected PocketPC?
I'm not Jason, but I am a wireless LAN junkie, and will share my uses. I use the Socket CF Wireless LAN adapter, which is physically identical to the one made by Symbol. (In fact, Symbol manufacturers both cards, as I understand it.) Looking at Symbol's User Guide for their Wireless Networker card, the driver and software are virtually identical. The exact same tabs exist in Symbol's and Socket's implementations, and they look the same. I can tell you, the signal strength graph is kinda cool, giving you a real-time display of your signal strength and connection speed. (There's also a signal meter on the Today screen's menu bar.)

I use ActiveSync across my wireless LAN instead of my Casio E-200's USB cradle. (Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure where its cradle is; it may be in some luggage from my last trip.) Syncing via network is so much faster than USB, I never want to go back. Doing a full backup with ActiveSync over USB takes at least half an hour, often more. Over the wireless LAN, it takes less than two minutes.

I also use it to check e-mail, read the Thoughts site, among others, AvantGo, MSN and Yahoo Messengers for quick conversations, etc. (Though since there are no portable keyboard options for the E-200 :x I keep my instant messaging to a minimum.) One thing I like about AvantGo is that I can sync my channels from the Pocket PC itself, without having to go through ActiveSync. This lets me update channels from a friend's house or other palces with WiFi access. (Go to Start/Settings/Connections tab, tap AvantGo Connect, then tap the Sync all button. I have never used Mazingo before, so I'm not sure if you can do something similar with it. (I keep meaning to give it a try.)

Incidentally, if you all feel like a little chuckle at the expense of whatever tech writer created Symbol's Users Guide, download it and flip to page 9 (which is actually page 15 of the PDF file.) Gee, I've never seen a Pocket PC that looks like that before! :lol: And in the Warning below that image, there's an example of one of my biggest pet peeves. Honestly, how can people get past elementary school and not know the difference between "there," "their," and "they're?!"

--Dave

Old 07-28-2002, 04:27 AM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaqDude
I am using the Linksys WCF11 card on my iPaq 3630 - came up immiediately, absolutely no configuration issues. Changed the SSID on the card and set up the WEP, and off I ran. I am also using the Linksys WAP11 AP, so I can't comment on what issues may have occured had I been going to a different vendor's AP.
Hey, I just bought a WCF12 from Linksys and was wondering how satisfied you are with the overall performance of your WCF11? Though I think you have an earlier version, yours is still the more expensive of the two. Apparently, the WCF12 has shorter range, but has less compatibility issues.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 07-28-2002, 04:57 AM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P
Hey, I just bought a WCF12 from Linksys and was wondering how satisfied you are with the overall performance of your WCF11? Though I think you have an earlier version, yours is still the more expensive of the two. Apparently, the WCF12 has shorter range, but has less compatibility issues.
Very satisfied with the performance. I have decent signal strength throughout a block wall house out to my pool and around in the yard - probably 90 - 110 foot range. It actually has better range thatn the WPC11 card in my laptop - not sure why, but I can surf with my iPaq when I cannot with the laptop. As I had mentioned, configuration was a breeze - came right up. But then that was Linksys to Linksys, and I really don't know about access with with disparate vendors.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Wow! This is what I LIKE with this community. Guys, I appreciate the way you share your experiences and know-how! You add tremendously to Pocket PC Thoughts!

Old 07-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Techtoys
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Techtoys
Default Wireless Uses

I bought a wireless card recently. Adding it to the iPAQ was a sinch - it came with drivers and worked first time. I found 2 wireless networks in my office (neither official ) and another one (official) in our head office. I can access all of them and use them for internet, pop3 mail, etc. The card also works in my PC, which is really useful as I can now sit in the work coffee shop and use our network. Itis probably the best �85 I have spent recently.

I'm looking forward to the day that we have a pervasive wireless network in the towns and cities of the UK - even if I had to pay for use, it would be neat.

Andy